Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Armour -All Wheel Protectant

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Armour -All Wheel Protectant

Ok, bought a couple of cans of the Armour-All Protectant 2 weeks ago, before I went on a nice vacation trip. Bottom line - after 2 weeks and 1000 or so miles - the wheels are much, much less covered with brake dust. There are some spots on each wheel that have the dust on them - almost looks likes a dirty smudge streak, but if there were no Armour-All applied, the wheels would be the same color as the tires. I will wash the car tomorrow; including the wheels, and am hoping that the protectant will still be viable and not washed off. Even it it does get removed after a washing, I'd still recommend it, since is so very much cuts down on brake dust and I am going to buy several cans as soon as I get to a Target. Bottom line - it works!

Bob

Last edited by bob m; 08-12-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Ok, but a couple of cans of the Armour-All Prttectant 2 weeks ago, before I went on a nice vacation trip. Bottom line - after 2 weks and 1000 or so miles - the wheels are much, much less covered with brake dust. There are some spots on each wheel that have the dust on them - almost looks likes a dirty smudge streak, but if there were no Armour-All applied, the wheels would be the same color as the tires. I will wash the car tomorrow; including the wheels, and am hoping that the protectant will still be viable and not washed off. Even it it does get removed after a washing, I'd still recommend it, since is so very much cuts down on brake dust and I am going to buy several cans as soon as I get to a Target. Bottom line - it works!

Bob
I will second that! I have had it on for a month with out washing the wheels. Like Bob said just some smudges on the fronts, not much on the rears. I suspect we will have to apply it again after washing the wheels?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by manup
I will second that! I have had it on for a month with out washing the wheels. Like Bob said just some smudges on the fronts, not much on the rears. I suspect we will have to apply it again after washing the wheels?
Depends. If you just spray with clean water, it's fine. If you're very gentle with regular car soap, most of it survives. But if you get in there with a good brush and a good wheel cleaner (Sonax), then it will completely strip it off.

I won't be buying more of this stuff. It is interesting for sure and performs magic on dry solids such as brake dust. But one drive in the rain and the wheels are dirty enough to require a wash that will strip the Protectant off. This stuff is too pricey for regular applications IMO.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to confirm, is this the product you bought?

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...ry_index=wheel
Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by john1r
Just to confirm, is this the product you bought?

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...ry_index=wheel
Yup. Got it free after rebate, so long as you buy another ArmorAll product (i.e., carpet cleaner).
Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Yup. Got it free after rebate, so long as you buy another ArmorAll product (i.e., carpet cleaner).
Thanks. I did see the rebate form now I just have to see if any of my local stores carry it (Target/Walmart/etc...)
Old 08-13-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I bought mine in Target and I look at at differently than ELEVENS. Even taking my car for a few short runs creates an enormous amount of brake dust; to the point of having to spend waaaaaaaaaaay too much time cleaning them on a weekly basis; and it's not just uncitely, I already have a tiny bit of pitting on the wheels. So, if this cuts down the amount of time I need to spend by a factor of 2 or 3, to me, it's worth it.

Bob
Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine in Target and I look at at differently than ELEVENS. Even taking my car for a few short runs creates an enormous amount of brake dust; to the point of having to spend waaaaaaaaaaay too much time cleaning them on a weekly basis; and it's not just uncitely, I already have a tiny bit of pitting on the wheels. So, if this cuts down the amount of time I need to spend by a factor of 2 or 3, to me, it's worth it.

Bob
Me too!!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Bob
I completely understand. However, my Q5 has dustless brake pads. I generally only have to clean the wheels after driving in the rain.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I completely understand. However, my Q5 has dustless brake pads. I generally only have to clean the wheels after driving in the rain.
Aha! Figured you'd have a good reason.

Bob