Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi announced Q5 TDI pricing starting at $46,500

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mwaarna
so a 3,600 dollar mark up for the TDI...

Who wants to do the excel sheet for the amount of miles you need to drive to pay off the difference VS the 2.0T and the 3.0T
Did you mean to say $2600? $46500-43900=$2600. But as jperryrocks notes, 3.0T apparently went up $500 this year, so it's really $46500-44400=$2100.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Yup, and that makes me happy

Though a few hundred more than I thought, so maybe not too happy
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500 increase ain't too bad. i emailed my dealer to confirm, but haven't heard back yet. i told him it was posted on the internet, so it *MUST* be true, haha!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joey jojo
$500 increase ain't too bad. i emailed my dealer to confirm, but haven't heard back yet. i told him it was posted on the internet, so it *MUST* be true, haha!
Must be! Hopefully we'll get order guide confirmation soon (in case any options have changed prices, and it also officially marks when vehicles can actually be sold).
Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HotRodW
$47,395 with destination. Certainly not cheap, and far more expensive than the GLK250. At least diesel fuel is more affordable relative to the cost of gasoline here in the midwest. And we know the TDI is likely to hold its value better than the equivalent gasoline-powered models.
Why do you say the TDI will hold its value better? In your experience, have you noticed that all diesels hold their value better?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MarkP: Does the TDI also require top-tier diesel fuel? Diesel is already hard to find as it is. I think Shell may be the only top tier station near me which also carries diesel.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Why do you say the TDI will hold its value better? In your experience, have you noticed that all diesels hold their value better?
All TDIs do at the least. On some models, the petrol versions are relatively undesirable. My wife's had people interested in buying her Golf and it's nothing special (and also not for sale).

MarkP: Does the TDI also require top-tier diesel fuel? Diesel is already hard to find as it is. I think Shell may be the only top tier station near me which also carries diesel.
Top Tier is only for petrol, there's no such program for diesel. You'll want quality diesel anyway, of course, but there's not really quite the same way of knowing your diesel meets some particular minimum specs. At the same time, diesel's a little different of a fuel and it seems like the biggest thing you want to care about is how much refueling goes on at a station since there's more worry about water contamination than anything else (you want stations with good tanks and lots of business).

People in other countries have premium diesel (such as Shell V-Power) that has higher cetane, but we don't have anything like that here and even there it seems like it's not necessary for every tank (but rather an occasional boost for tank-cleaning).
Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Nope, you just need to get the standard Highway-use diesel which is ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) (<15 PPM). You'll see those words on many/most pumps. This is the one standard you'll see at all regular gas stations throughout the US since ~2007. Before then, 5 major states wouldn't allow the sale of diesel cars due to emissions from the high sulfur content. Once the fuel quality improved, those states now sell diesels and car manufactures that never sold diesels in the US now do. For instance, prior to that Audi sold more than 50% of their cars as diesels, but not a single one in the US. All diesel cars sold in the US since ~2007 are made to run on ULSD.

The only issue you'd have with diesel fuel is if you are at a major truck stop or farm fueling station and then you'd want to ensure you're getting USLD. But any regular station you should be fine.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just read this of why consumers are looking at diesel: http://autos.yahoo.com/news/why-almo...140000636.html
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for that tidbit of information on diesel. Interesting how diesel prices are cheaper than petrol in some parts of the country and more expensive in other parts. In my area diesel is even more expensive than premium gas.

Quick Reply: Audi announced Q5 TDI pricing starting at $46,500