Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi of Arlington... service department is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Audi of Arlington... service department is a joke

Took my Q5 in for the 35K service on Friday. Drove it home, then went to dinner later in the evening. Got a low oil level warning telling me that it’s OK to drive to the dealer, but 1qt. of oil needs to be added. No it’s not OK to drive back to the dealer a second time! WTF?. This same thing happened the last time they changed my oil (last year), drove back home , they said they fixed it, got home, got the same code, drove back a second time, they reset it AGAIN, and it's been fine until yesterday.

How friggin’ hard can it be to change the oil and reset the oil level sensor? To make matters even worse, I took a look at my dipstick (yes, I bought one), and the oil is absolutely black. I doubt that they even changed it. So what did they do for over 3 hours beside doing a half-assed job of washing it?

Sent an email to my service advisor sharing my frustration. I will be calling Audi of America tomorrow morning. Can’t wait to fill out out the survey, they will score zeros...

Last edited by Barraged; 10-15-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to Audi of Tyson’s Corner. They charge an arm and a leg, but they are thorough in both fixes and repairs in my experience with 3 Audis.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Just to relieve one possible concern, oil in a Diesel looks black as soon as the engine has run so colour is not an indicator that the oil wasn't changed but you never know !
Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Just to relieve one possible concern, oil in a Diesel looks black as soon as the engine has run so colour is not an indicator that the oil wasn't changed but you never know !
Did not know about the oil...thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah they suck. I go to tysons
Old 10-16-2017, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since I don't have my Q5 with me here in VA, I have no experience with their actual service. But I went into Chantilly Audi (not certain if that's their official name) to discuss my excessive oil consumption with their service department and to ask their advice. They were extremely courteous, pulled my car up by VIN, and offered some suggestions about the oil consumption test when I return home. Based on my treatment there, I would happily bring my car there for service.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by atc98092
Since I don't have my Q5 with me here in VA, I have no experience with their actual service. But I went into Chantilly Audi (not certain if that's their official name) to discuss my excessive oil consumption with their service department and to ask their advice. They were extremely courteous, pulled my car up by VIN, and offered some suggestions about the oil consumption test when I return home. Based on my treatment there, I would happily bring my car there for service.
There is a difference between customer service and mechanic doing the job. The most important is the second one for me.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
There is a difference between customer service and mechanic doing the job. The most important is the second one for me.
Absolutely agree. But I've also found, at least in my experience, the service adviser's attitude and competence often reflects the mechanic's skills and abilities. you can certainly find a good mechanic and bad service adviser (or vice versa), but a facility that has good mechanics often extend the hiring quality to their SAs as well.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an issue once with my BMW 335d. It takes 8 quarts of oil. The BMW 335i takes 7 quarts. When I looked over my work performed, i saw QTY 7 instead of 8. They added another quart for me.

One time with my old 3.2 Audi, they gave it back without the oil filler cap....
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gronk
Take it to Audi of Tyson’s Corner. They charge an arm and a leg, but they are thorough in both fixes and repairs in my experience with 3 Audis.
This x1000, I could go on a rant about how bad Audi Arlington's service department was when I lived in the DMV for a year; long story short they almost singlehandedly soured me on the Audi brand. The experience I had going Audi Tyson's after getting sick of Arlington was like night and day. Probably a bit more expensive than Arlington (but less than the dealer I go to now in the NJ suburbs of Philly), and a further drive depending on where you live, but it's nice to have your concerns taken seriously by both the mechanics and the service advisor. Also nice to have the Spring Hill Silver Line station literally next to the dealer so you don't have to contend with traffic after dropping off your car if you work in downtown DC.

Quick Reply: Audi of Arlington... service department is a joke