Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone confirm you need an active SIM & data plan to be able to send addresses to the car via Google Maps (from a computer).
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by pcbrew
Can someone confirm you need an active SIM & data plan to be able to send addresses to the car via Google Maps (from a computer).
Yes, you need an active data plan. Any of the options discussed work for google maps send to car.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by weth
Yes, you need an active data plan. Any of the options discussed work for google maps send to car.
Hi, to clarify, with audi connect, I only need the cellphone with a data plan. The sim in on the phone and NOT on the car. So my mobile phone acts like a hotspot for audi connect? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

IMO the Audi Connect is Eye Candy.
I just bought a 2013 Q7 and decided to do the 50% off deal, I mean I spent this much on the car why not get the Google Maps ext.
But overall I find the MMI useless vs my iPhone 5. In fact all you really need is a repeater screen and a plug in for your smartphone and your good to go.
Why would I want to hit the button in the steering wheel and say" Online Dest", then wait for the car to respond and back and forth to set up the Nav to take me to the Starbucks for example when I can hit the home button on the iPhone and "Navigate to Starbucks and 2 seconds later the maps app comes up and away I go.
But back to the price for the Audi Connect, I think either $15 a month tops or do that $5 SIM deal-e-o
Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ACC99
Hi, to clarify, with audi connect, I only need the cellphone with a data plan. The sim in on the phone and NOT on the car. So my mobile phone acts like a hotspot for audi connect? Thanks.
To use the Audi Connect w/hot spot feature, you need the SIM card in the car.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This varies between NA and everyone else:
  • US: SIM is in the car, runs on T-Mobile's frequencies (can get an AT&T network SIM and get 2G speeds)
  • Canada: unavailable
  • RoW: uses rSIM for the car to connect to the SIM in your phone
Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
This varies between NA and everyone else:
  • US: SIM is in the car, runs on T-Mobile's frequencies (can get an AT&T network SIM and get 2G speeds)
  • Canada: unavailable
  • RoW: uses rSIM for the car to connect to the SIM in your phone

I like the separate data plan in my US car. I can now stream Pandora on my phone using the car's data plan and listen to it through the car stereo, rather than use the phone's limited data plan.

For $15 a month pre-paid it is not going to bankrupt me and I then have the feature if I need/want it.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you are in the US - what you describe is not possible from what we know now (but highly desirable). In US it only works with active SIM in plugged into the car.

If you are in Europe and other places, this does work as a remote SIM but not as reverse hotspot as you indicate.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

When your iPhone is connected to the MMI, do you see its screen on the Navi?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse
When your iPhone is connected to the MMI, do you see its screen on the Navi?
No, it doesn't work like that.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect