Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi CPO purchase - corrosion warranty void

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi CPO purchase - corrosion warranty void

Hi,

Am up sh** creek without a paddle.

I recently pulled the trigger on a used Audi Q5 from a dealer. It is certified (CPO). I purchased it from another province (QC), and when getting the safety (for ON) the mechanic remarked the vehicle had been rust proofed. I confirmed it with a local Audi dealer - the holes in the door are in fact rust proofing. I did not notice the holes/plugs when I purchased the vehicle. I thought I had done my homework - I was aware that rust proofing a VAG vehicle by drilling holes would void the corrosion warranty, and this was confirmed by the dealer when I asked what I was allowed to do (such as spraying the bottom/exposed parts) but I never actually checked for the plugs in the doors.

So, working this through in my mind: the dealer knows drilling holes to rust proof voids the warranty. They certified the vehicle as a CPO, which apparently was a lease return from their own customer (how can you return a lease with holes in the doors?). One of the "benefits" of the CPO program, according to Audi website, is the transferable corrosion warranty. So why would this dealer have allowed the car to certify?

I am feeling a bit fleeced for two reasons: 1) I purchased a vehicle I thought came with 12 year corrosion warranty, but it does not (and basically now I have to pay out of pocket every year to have it rust proofed). 2) This wasn't a small purchase - I expected better service/experience, but also given how puzzled I am that a lease return passed inspection without this being noticed makes me question what else may have been missed with the vehicle.

I accept that ultimately, it was my responsibility to check everything, including this. Bottom line is, I signed the papers. That said, I remain frustrated with the fact it is so difficult to have a positive experience at a dealer. I have not called the dealer yet, as I wanted to give myself a day to cool off and collect my thoughts on how to proceed. I will try to get something out of this, whether it be some kind of 'good will' assistance should corrosion appear or some financial compensation for the fact I have to rustproof this vehicle going forward. My principal argument will be that I purchased a vehicle that was not as advertised.

Has anyone been through similar experience, or have any suggestions or comments? In the CPO checklist provided by the dealer, one criteria is: "Is the vehicle free from current or evidence of past aftermarket modifications (chassis, body, or engine chip)?"

Would rust proofing quality as "aftermarket" ?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just relax. Honestly, I've never seen a well maintained later model vehicle (one that gets washed at least once a month) have any corrosion within 12 years. Especial;y if garage kept.

I live in MI and my '06 325i looks almost brand new outside. It does only have 49k miles and was likely garage kept, but still. I think your overreacting.

Most modern cars will make it 20+ years now without significant corrosion if washed somewhat regularly.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

You may want to discuss with an attorney. At this time I would document who said what.
In the US they can't have it both ways. Either the the vehicle is CPO or not.
If they admit the holes were there when you bought the car they are screwed. Make sure that is documented. You bought a CPO vehicle, if that is now not what you bought return it.
In the US, many states have Attorney General divisions just for this crap.

Modern cars in the rust belt do rust through. I had one and Audi stood behind a 10 year old car. In the rust belt The (12) year no rust through warranty is more important to me than the regular warranty.

Last edited by rdA4WtQ5; 12-10-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting - how would Canadian CPO rules work vs. US CPO ?

As for rusting, modern cars would not worry much unless the car has been exposed to salt water like it was flooded from a hurricane....

Old days, the rust problem was awful where cars would rust thru the floorboards so quickly.....
Old 12-10-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The quality of steel has come a long ways, and German steel in particular is quite pure and rusts slower. Modern advances in coatings have been huge in preventing rust, but if compromised, such as drilling access holes, the bare metal becomes exposed and rust will take hold, but only where the coating has been compromised. Personally I don't think it's worth worrying about if you wash your car frequently and dry the door jams, as you should.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

How long do you intend to keep the car? If it's anything up to 5 years I wouldn't worry at all. I wouldn't even bother with yearly rustproofing. Just wash it at least once a month and dry it properly.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's a CPO they should have inspected it. I'd ask for a partial refund, a replacement vehicle, or a discount on another one. I've seen the snow in Northern Canada and it gets bad. I was in St John's and Halifax earlier this year and it went from no snow to over 3 ft deep in less than a day.