Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Customer Care Says There is No Water Pump Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Customer Care Says There is No Water Pump Issue

So, after getting nowhere with my dealer about getting my water pump replaced BEFORE it fails, I sent an email to Audi Customer Relations last night asking if there was any way to get my Q moved up on the recall list so that my dealer could do the work. Honestly, I hade zero expectation that I would hear anything back from them, but it made me feel a little better to try.

Not even 18 hours later, a very nice woman from Customer Relations called me back. That's the good news. The bad news is that she said there is no recall or other campaign for the water pump on any model year Q5. She basically said that it's an internet rumor. My options are to wait for something to happen and get it covered under warranty, or to pay out of pocket to have it replaced and then, if there is a recall at a later date, Audi will reimburse me.

Again, she could not have been nicer and I appreciated the quick response, but... really, Audi?

Last edited by polaraudi; 11-08-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, she is right, there is no recall, just a vehicle required maintenance. I guess that’s a nice way to call a volunteer recall service. I wouldn’t pay for it yourself, it’s not exactly a cheap job and you are letting your paranoia get the best of you.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well, she is right, there is no recall, just a vehicle required maintenance. I guess that’s a nice way to call a volunteer recall service. I wouldn’t pay for it yourself, it’s not exactly a cheap job and you are letting your paranoia get the best of you.
She said there was no program of any kind regarding the water pumps.

As for my paranoia, as you so nicely put it, I'm just weighing the risks of putting myself several hundred miles away from the nearest flat bed tow truck at -40 degrees. I think a prudent person thinks about things like that and I'll make my own decision on how I spend my money.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by polaraudi

As for my paranoia, as you so nicely put it, I'm just weighing the risks of putting myself several hundred miles away from the nearest flat bed tow truck at -40 degrees. I think a prudent person thinks about things like that and I'll make my own decision on how I spend my money.
it is not paranoia, it is 95% chance it will fail if the WP is made of plastic - I'd call Audi (not e-mail) and politely explain that you feel very uncomfortable driving this vehicle knowing that your WP may fail any time, with out any warnings, and get the name of the person you talked to. If they try same story about no recall, ask if there is a service campaign, and again politely explain that you just cannot afford to have this brakedown esp. when so many of them already happend. See if they will replace it... If not when it fails you have the name of the person that you talked to, and you can ask for compensation
Old 11-08-2010, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m1964
it is not paranoia, it is 95% chance it will fail if the WP is made of plastic - I'd call Audi (not e-mail) and politely explain that you feel very uncomfortable driving this vehicle knowing that your WP may fail any time, with out any warnings, and get the name of the person you talked to. If they try same story about no recall, ask if there is a service campaign, and again politely explain that you just cannot afford to have this brakedown esp. when so many of them already happend. See if they will replace it... If not when it fails you have the name of the person that you talked to, and you can ask for compensation
I actually did ask about recalls, service campaigns or anything else related to the water pump and was still told there was nothing. And I fully explained my concerns, including the fact that it's not a matter of simply being inconvenienced, but also of safety. She was pleasant, but firm that there was nothing to be done unless I'm actively experiencing a problem with it.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She is correct. Audi will do nothing until the water pump fails. Also, it all depends on your dealship as well if they want to change it or not, regardless if it hasn't fail.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually did ask about recalls, service campaigns or anything else related to the water pump and was still told there was nothing. And I fully explained my concerns, including the fact that it's not a matter of simply being inconvenienced, but also of safety. She was pleasant, but firm that there was nothing to be done unless I'm actively experiencing a problem with it.

I would ask if there was a WP recall for canadian Q5s, and, if there one, was how come there is nothing done for the US models..
Some one from Canada posted there was an official recall.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by m1964
Some one from Canada posted there was an official recall.
That was me and it was confirm by another fellow Canadian. But my dealer could have mistaken it for a RVU but that particular day, there were a lot of Q5 in for the water pump replacement.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/q5/msgs/2264.phtml

Last edited by Ed@mtl; 11-08-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello from Canada. My dealer talked about a 'recall'. If the car's VIN is on it they replace the warter pump. Mine was replaced without any issues. If the VIN is not on the list it will not be replaced. PS: As far as I understand, a service campaign would mean that ALL cars when they come in at a certain point in time will be 'fixed'. But this is not the case, it is VIn by VIN.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There must be some reason why your water pump is not on the list. Your build date is within the US water pump replacement list. If I remember right, you live in Alaska right? Maybe its regional thing or Alaska gets their Audi from another region.

Last edited by The G Man; 11-09-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi Customer Care Says There is No Water Pump Recall