Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Pure Protection Quote

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tchenm
Hi Dennis, I got my extended warranty from Desert Audi.

http://desertaudi.net
So you purchased this CPO warranty at the time you bought your used Q5? Correct?

Just so I know(maybe) I'm not losing it, a CPO warranty can't be purchased/applied to a vehicle that was bought new and I currently own (non lease) that still has the factory warranty in effect? We will need to get either the crazy expensive 8k Audi pure protection warranty or something like the FD-warranty, Costco's version etc...

Is this at all correct?
Mine has about 35 or 40k on it now and I'm not sure what I'm doing as far as keeping or not based on this situation.

Good topic

Dave

Last edited by flybooey; 10-15-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Discussion, but I'm easily confused. So I'm looking at a pre-owned, non-certified A6 with 15,000 miles. The dealer said they'll cert it for an additional $1500 which gives it a 6yr/100,000 mile warranty. From reading below, I guess I should jump all over it? But I sure would like that 8yr/100,00mile warranty!!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just tried to sell the same thing to me on the wife's new WRX. I get the 36k warranty standard. I didn't add the extra warranty for up to 50k.

They called back today to sell me the pure protection thing, whatever they call theirs. It's not a warranty, its basically insurance. You pay an additional 1650 or so ($10-15 a month extra). But you pay that over the first 36k as well while you're already protected. Then after you keep.paying it every month, and if something goes wrong you still have to pay $100 deductible to fix whatever the problem might be.

She tried to sell it to me and to my wife by saying.... Ooh, if something goes wrong it can be an expensive fix. I've never seen a WRX purchased without getting this.....

If you can afford to pay out of pocket $500-$1000 if something big goes wrong, its not worth it. You may or may not ever use it. Plus you still owe a deductible. It's not a warrant, its insurance, which they're more than happy to bundle in your loan for you.

And they'll also be more than happy to sell you a 100,000 extended insurance plan, and you trade in at 55k miles...

Last edited by ThunderDent; 10-15-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by flybooey
So you purchased this CPO warranty at the time you bought your used Q5? Correct?

Just so I know(maybe) I'm not losing it, a CPO warranty can't be purchased/applied to a vehicle that was bought new and I currently own (non lease) that still has the factory warranty in effect? We will need to get either the crazy expensive 8k Audi pure protection warranty or something like the FD-warranty, Costco's version etc...

Is this at all correct?
Mine has about 35 or 40k on it now and I'm not sure what I'm doing as far as keeping or not based on this situation.

Good topic

Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes, I purchased the CPO warranty at the time of purchase. And I think your right, your warranty option is the expensive pure protection (8yr/100K) or some 3rd party coverage. I wouldn't feel so bad on not being able to get the CPO warranty. The 6 year parts INCLUDES the factory warranty so you actually get 2 years of coverage. So at your current mileage you would have to drive approximately 60K in two years to get your moneys worth. Sucks huh? I found out that detail after agreeing to purchase the vehicle.

When I realized that (after the fact) I was pressured into buying the 8year/100K pure protection just to get reasonable time to use the warranty up to 100K.

You are correct on all your questions. You might want to just save your money, practice good preventative maintenance, and pay for your vehicle as it has issues. If Audi is willing to cover their vehciles up to 100K then chances are they are expected to last at least that long with good maintenance.

Hope that helps...

Mike T
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Great Discussion, but I'm easily confused. So I'm looking at a pre-owned, non-certified A6 with 15,000 miles. The dealer said they'll cert it for an additional $1500 which gives it a 6yr/100,000 mile warranty. From reading below, I guess I should jump all over it? But I sure would like that 8yr/100,00mile warranty!!
HOLD ON!!!

Keep in mind the 6year/100K INCLUDES your factory warranty time. So you only get 2 years coverage. Most people don't drive 30K miles a years so your not getting your moneys worth.

AND you can get to the 8yr/100K without purchasing the 6yr/100K CPO warranty. So essentially they are making you purchase two coverages just to be covered adequately.

I lived this mistake, don't make my mistake. Know what your getting into.

Hope that helps....

Mike T
Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
They just tried to sell the same thing to me on the wife's new WRX. I get the 36k warranty standard. I didn't add the extra warranty for up to 50k.

They called back today to sell me the pure protection thing, whatever they call theirs. It's not a warranty, its basically insurance. You pay an additional 1650 or so ($10-15 a month extra). But you pay that over the first 36k as well while you're already protected. Then after you keep.paying it every month, and if something goes wrong you still have to pay $100 deductible to fix whatever the problem might be.

She tried to sell it to me and to my wife by saying.... Ooh, if something goes wrong it can be an expensive fix. I've never seen a WRX purchased without getting this.....

If you can afford to pay out of pocket $500-$1000 if something big goes wrong, its not worth it. You may or may not ever use it. Plus you still owe a deductible. It's not a warrant, its insurance, which they're more than happy to bundle in your loan for you.

And they'll also be more than happy to sell you a 100,000 extended insurance plan, and you trade in at 55k miles...
Just to clarify the CPO warranty (6yr/100K) is a warranty and I paid $1,350 for it and the deductable is $80. The Audi Pure Protection (8yr/100K) is an insurance policy through Fidelity Warranty Services, I paid @2,200 for it, and the deductable is $0. I bought both (why that happened read the sad story below) so my deductable is $0 given it turns out to be a warranty issues otherwise I would have to pay.

I agree with you on the idea of just saving up to fix problems instead of purchasing warranties/insurances. However, my sister had an Audi A4 and her transmission went bad and it cost 6K to fix. Much more then what it costs to fix a subaru. That was why I purchased the warranties/insurances.

Now that I'm knee deep committed into this, I might as well hang on atleast up to 100K and keep it going if possible.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Keep in mind, the Audi Pure Protection written by Fidelity warranty is FULLY REFUNDABLE minus a $50 contract fee if you do not use it.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
OBP
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you read your contract document with Fidelity Warranty carefully ? I read a sample contract provided by an Audi dealer and it has this concerning exclusion: once the car hits 50k miles, Fidelity will not cover wear and tear items. They leave the definition of wear and tear items open: they state steering components and suspension components but they also say this is not a complete list. Seems like they can exclude whatever they like after you reach 50k miles. I'm worried by this.

Originally Posted by Tchenm
Just to clarify the CPO warranty (6yr/100K) is a warranty and I paid $1,350 for it and the deductable is $80. The Audi Pure Protection (8yr/100K) is an insurance policy through Fidelity Warranty Services, I paid @2,200 for it, and the deductable is $0. I bought both (why that happened read the sad story below) so my deductable is $0 given it turns out to be a warranty issues otherwise I would have to pay.

I agree with you on the idea of just saving up to fix problems instead of purchasing warranties/insurances. However, my sister had an Audi A4 and her transmission went bad and it cost 6K to fix. Much more then what it costs to fix a subaru. That was why I purchased the warranties/insurances.

Now that I'm knee deep committed into this, I might as well hang on atleast up to 100K and keep it going if possible.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OBP
Did you read your contract document with Fidelity Warranty carefully ? I read a sample contract provided by an Audi dealer and it has this concerning exclusion: once the car hits 50k miles, Fidelity will not cover wear and tear items. They leave the definition of wear and tear items open: they state steering components and suspension components but they also say this is not a complete list. Seems like they can exclude whatever they like after you reach 50k miles. I'm worried by this.
Then you should get the higher(est) Platinum coverage. It has a specific exclusion list that is written out.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was in a similar situation and i bought my lease out at 45k. I bought the fidelity insurance and was i glad i did!

8,000 miles later my Engine control module burned out. the part alone was $900 plus 17 hours of labor. Can you imagine how much that would have cost? I didn't have to pay a cent for anything but my car was in the shop for 4 business days.

Quick Reply: Audi Pure Protection Quote