Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Pure Protection Quote

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Did you read your contract document with Fidelity Warranty carefully ? I read a sample contract provided by an Audi dealer and it has this concerning exclusion: once the car hits 50k miles, Fidelity will not cover wear and tear items. They leave the definition of wear and tear items open: they state steering components and suspension components but they also say this is not a complete list. Seems like they can exclude whatever they like after you reach 50k miles. I'm worried by this.
The details of what is covered by Fidelity are listed in their coverage brochure. I didn't see the portion where it states wear and tear items are not covered after 50K. If you know where I can read more online please let me know. FYI, not covering wear and tear items is a standard in the automotive industry. They have to say "it is not a complete list". It's impossible to list all of the wear and tear items in a vehicle.

For the information I have they list in detail what would be covered and what would be excluded. But what your talking about is some sort of fraud where they claim wear and tear on something that is a warranty item. I don't think that will happen, but I let it to the community to voice their opinion.

The most I would be concerned about is to get a good deal while negotiating the additional warranty/insurance. After that I have experienced they honor the contract.

Let me know what you think. I recently took the Q5 in because of a steering wheel shudder issue and did not have any issues in getting it resolved at $0 cost. I can include more detail on that experience.

Hope that answers your question...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hawk12
Then you should get the higher(est) Platinum coverage. It has a specific exclusion list that is written out.
From what I have personally experienced, Hawk12 is right.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM
OBP
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys thanks for sharing your Audi Pure claims experience. The brochure I read (supplied by Audi dealer) specifically states that you should read the contract rather than rely on the brochure. So I asked the dealer for the contract. The contract has check boxes for selecting different levels of coverage, including Platinum zero deductible, which is what I am interested in. But in the contract document, the 50K miles and above exclusion on wear and tear items also applies to Platinum. I think it makes sense to exclude items like wipers, weather stripping, brakes etc.. But once I saw steering and suspension components as well as the fact that this list is not exhaustive, I wonder what else can be excluded.

I'm coming from a Lexus experience where their service contract for Platinum did actually replace both my rear shocks without any charge.

Originally Posted by Tchenm
From what I have personally experienced, Hawk12 is right.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a quick question regarding the Audi Pure Protection plan and you guys seems to have some insight into it.

1. Did you have to buy it on the spot at the time of car purchasing? I asked as I was finalizing the title for a new 2013 Audi and they said that I had to decide now --- of course they also said I had 30 days to cancel it or 60 days less a fee. Were you guys asked to make the decision on the spot or could you add the Audi Pure later on?

2. The fully refundable aspect (if you don't use the warranty) was probably the most appealing part. I am wondering if anyone knows someone who never did activate it and got the money back. It seems like a 'too good to be true' situation; maybe it made less sense at a time when you could put 2-3K in investments or the bank and generate a nice return but when you're talking about any type of insurance (disability, life, homeowners, etc.) those types of refund guarantees of course are never on the table and we don't think twice about it.

Always skeptical about extended warranties on any product I purchase. Just nervous as this is my first German car experience.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ironlungs
I had a quick question regarding the Audi Pure Protection plan and you guys seems to have some insight into it.

1. Did you have to buy it on the spot at the time of car purchasing? I asked as I was finalizing the title for a new 2013 Audi and they said that I had to decide now --- of course they also said I had 30 days to cancel it or 60 days less a fee. Were you guys asked to make the decision on the spot or could you add the Audi Pure later on?

When we bought our 2012 the finance guy brought up the protection plan. I said I had no info on it and was skeptical about the refundable aspect and wanted to look into it. He allowed us to comeback in the next "couple days" and add the warranty. Maybe it was just a kind gesture on his part and wanted to give us time to look into it.

2. The fully refundable aspect (if you don't use the warranty) was probably the most appealing part. I am wondering if anyone knows someone who never did activate it and got the money back. It seems like a 'too good to be true' situation; maybe it made less sense at a time when you could put 2-3K in investments or the bank and generate a nice return but when you're talking about any type of insurance (disability, life, homeowners, etc.) those types of refund guarantees of course are never on the table and we don't think twice about it.

That's what the appeal was for us. I had just gotten rid of my 2007 Corvette that had the extended General Motors "major guard". The extended was due to expire in about 40 days I had also never used it, but unfortunately there was no refund-ability on it. It was over $2000 down the drain.

Always skeptical about extended warranties on any product I purchase. Just nervous as this is my first German car experience.
I'm thinking the Audi will be problem free for us. If after the factory warranty goes away, I'll pay for any small repairs it may have out of pocket, but will not hesitate to use it if the repair is major or appears that it could be ongoing.
Hope that helps.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I caved and called Troy Dietrich for the platinum plan. His price was over a grand cheaper than my dealer. I got the 4/48 from him. My car had 34,800 on it, he said the prices jump by over 1k once your odo flips over 35k.
And yeah, I know that they over lap and I'm only getting 3 more years and 33k more miles. WTF...sucks I know but so does a lot of other sh*t .
Dave

Last edited by flybooey; 11-30-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I didn't like the price of mine either, but it is worth it in my opinion. I always fall back on that if it's not used, you can get a full refund minus $50 contract fee.
I had purchased a 5 year warranty for my 2007 Corvette for almost $2800. I never used it once in the 5 years and at the end I received nothing back.
I'm willing to bet the Audi is made as good or better than GM products so no worries for me.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by flybooey
So I caved and called Troy Dietrich for the platinum plan. His price was over a grand cheaper than my dealer. I got the 4/48 from him. My car had 34,800 on it, he said the prices jump by over 1k once your odo flips over 35k.
And yeah, I know that they over lap and I'm only getting 3 more years and 33k more miles. WTF...sucks I know but so does a lot of other sh*t .
Dave
Can you explain the extended warranty mileage and term math. You got a 4/48 (4year, 48k mi) warranty, had 35k on odometer, and now have 33k left on your extended warranty? It would be appreciated to clarify. Thanks

Dennis
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Regarding the full refund (minus $50) if the extended warranty goes unused, i'm trying to find that written in the contract.

i believe this is it from page 4 of the Fidelity contract:

"If you cancel after 60 days, a Pro-Rata refund of the service contract purchase price will be made based upon the greater of the time or mileage expired from the service contract purchase date less an administration fee of $50."

sound right?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stanclark
Regarding the full refund (minus $50) if the extended warranty goes unused, i'm trying to find that written in the contract.

i believe this is it from page 4 of the Fidelity contract:

"If you cancel after 60 days, a Pro-Rata refund of the service contract purchase price will be made based upon the greater of the time or mileage expired from the service contract purchase date less an administration fee of $50."

sound right?
No.

On the bottom of Page 4 you will/should see:

Purchase Price Refund:
Upon expiration of this Service Contract, if YOU have not had a claim paid under this Service Contract, do not have a claim pending payment, and if YOU follow the steps outlined below, the purchase price of YOUR Service Contract will be refunded to YOU, less a $50 administration fee.

Quick Reply: Audi Pure Protection Quote