Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 Crossbar Noise & Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 Crossbar Noise & Solutions

Hey Guys,

I'm just wondering if any of you have tried either of the following to reduce noise with the crossbars:

Thule Wind Diffuser
- this can be seen at: http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...Load-Bar-Pair#
- it's basically a finned rubber insert fo the T-Slot... wondering if it works in the Q5 bar

Thule Fairing
- http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...airing-44-inch
- I'm wondering if this can attach to the crossbars that Audi provides

I've also seen a fairing made by Inno.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just leave them off until I need them. Christmas (tree transport) and camping (junk).
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Have you got the rubber strip that came with the bars fitted? This makes a big difference to the noise.

Also did you know that fitting the roof bars alters the ESP program by making it more sensitive to compensate for a potentially higher centre of gravity?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove them when not in use.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
+1
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Thanks everyone for your replies. I suppose I should have been more clear with my first post. I have done a search and I know that removing the bars is the preferred solution for many of you. However, I do not want to remove them every time since I use them so often. I would prefer to find a solution that will let me keep them on all the time, while minimizing the noise as much as possible.

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
+1

Have you got the rubber strip that came with the bars fitted? This makes a big difference to the noise.

Also did you know that fitting the roof bars alters the ESP program by making it more sensitive to compensate for a potentially higher centre of gravity?
I do. I noticed that Thule uses a ribbed or finned rubber strip instead of a flat one to improve the airflow around the bar and was wondering if anyone has tried that.

I'm also surprised that no one has suggested using a fairing which would be the first solution to this problem. I do admit that it's not the prettiest solution.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eskayo
I'm also surprised that no one has suggested using a fairing which would be the first solution to this problem. I do admit that it's not the prettiest solution.
au contraire mon frere... I love the look of the fairing, and I am actually trying to figure out how to fit one to my Volvo cross bars without too much jerry-rigging.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Others have posted that these are a good solution.

http://www.whispbar.eu/

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbv...ith+roof+rails
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Eskayo - Did you find a solution?

I am looking for a fairing myself right now for my 2011 Q5. The Thule fairing DOES NOT fit the Audi crossbars (trust me, I tried).

Local rack store directed me to try a Inno fairing and I am going to check them out today. They only have small and large in stock so I hope one of them fits.

Headed to Mammoth this weekend and I cannot stand to hear that whistle for 7 hours straight...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by boltsfan
Eskayo - Did you find a solution?

I am looking for a fairing myself right now for my 2011 Q5. The Thule fairing DOES NOT fit the Audi crossbars (trust me, I tried).
I have nixed the idea of using a fairing. I am most likely going to suck it up and buy a different bar system that is aerodynamically quieter. It's an added expense, but it will let me leave the bars on all the time, and not worry about the look of a fairing.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 Crossbar Noise & Solutions