Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Side Assist stops working without reason

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Side Assist stops working without reason

Hi folks,

Wondering if any of you have had this ever happened to you. Basically I'm driving along and I hear a chime from my car and in the MMI it says that something is blocking the side assist sensors from working. It turns off the side assist and if I try to press the button to turn it on I get the same error message. If I stop and restart my vehicle I am able to turn on the side assist and it works again. I've had this happen twice on my Audi 2013 Q5 Hybrid.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the same problem but only on the highway. Around town I haven't had the side assist turn off, but everytime I head to the cabin for the weekend, the side assist turns off about an hour into the trip while driving on single lane highway. I brought the vehicle to the dealer and they said that it was normal for this happen on the highway where there is little/no traffic. Apparently the side assist gets 'confused' when it does not detect other cars for long periods of time (according to the dealer). Anyone else have this problem or been given a similar explanation by the dealer?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just thought that I would add that I performed an experiment on my last trip on the highway and turned the side assist on/off about an hour into the trip before it would normally shut-off. This seemed to prevent the side assist from shutting-off for the remainder of the trip. However, it is annoying to have to reset the side assist about every hour when driving on highways with little/no traffic. I guess the alternative would be to just turn off the side assist since there is little/no traffic anyway.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting. I was on a long drive on the highway but I was in fairly regular traffic not in a scenario where I was all lone with no one around. It was alerting me of other cars pretty regularly, there wasn't a long stretch of time where I didn't pass someone.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Happens to me 3x now, twice on the highway. I brought it into the dealer just like you and they said the same thing and reset the system.

Happens every once and a while but not every highway trip. Not even every five trips.

Driving a a6 tdi loaner with blind spot assist on the highway for the last two days with no troubles
Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just to clarify, my side assist has only turned off when driving on a single lane highway with very little/no traffic (ie. I could go at least a half hour without passing another car). When driving in the city or on double lane highways with traffic, my side assist has not turned off.