Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi, you may have lost me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi, you may have lost me!

So I wanted to post this here... Need some help. I am over 12 weeks in waiting for my Q5 and just not happy with the whole process. Truth be told I am a CTO with a financial firm and technology is my life as well as being an audiophile of sorts... Anyways I decided that even though I am waiting on the Q5 I will look at the BMW X3.

Went and test drove one today, fully loaded (slightly more expensive) and I loved the car. The interior slightly better IMHO then the Q5 but what did it for me was the tech and handling. I'm torn...

This is kind of a last ditch effort to help me decide. I got a good deal if I want the X3 and am about ready to call my Audi sales guy and tell him that with the wait among a few other things I need to cancel my order.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

What is it you're looking for?

I mean, while I love my Q5, and didn't care too much for the X3, if you honestly like the X3 that much better than the Q5, then I wouldn't try talking you out of it - I would say follow your gut instinct and buy what you like better.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geronimosan
What is it you're looking for?

I mean, while I love my Q5, and didn't care too much for the X3, if you honestly like the X3 that much better than the Q5, then I wouldn't try talking you out of it - I would say follow your gut instinct and buy what you like better.
I also dislike the look of the X3, i-drive and run flat tires. But if that floats your boat then go for it. looks are subjective and both test fairly high in reviews. good luck!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Funny, I test drove the X3 a couple of times and walked away not liking two things:

1. The interior felt sparse and kinda cheap in comparison to the Q5, my wife felt the same way.

2. The shifter stick looks like a prop phaser from an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, kept looking for the "Stun" setting on it.

I also didn't like that the shifter was "drive by wire" and didn't actually mechanically engage anything. Getting it into Park was a bit weird and unintuitive to me as well.

Go with your gut though as it generally doesn't lie.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test drove a Mercedes Benz ML350 BlueTec today

was impressed.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I must agree with the others. The run flat tires are terrible when new and with less than 10,000 miles are just down right junk. There is no room for a spare of any kind. The ride is stiffer and the Idrive is not as good as the MMI/Nav. Not to bash anyone, German cars built in the US, just do not seem to be built as well as the ones built in Germany. I have had A BMW Z3 built in SC and an X5 built in SC (the X3 is now built there). Both were ok, no major issues, however they just did not seem as robust and solid as the BMW 335 I just traded. My sister has an ML350 built here and it has had many problems, and feels cheaply built. My GMC truck was built in the states and is great!

Like others have said, "If you like it, buy it." We are very happy with the Q. Good luck and happy motoring.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
I must agree with the others. The run flat tires are terrible when new and with less than 10,000 miles are just down right junk. There is no room for a spare of any kind. The ride is stiffer and the Idrive is not as good as the MMI/Nav. Not to bash anyone, German cars built in the US, just do not seem to be built as well as the ones built in Germany. I have had A BMW Z3 built in SC and an X5 built in SC (the X3 is now built there). Both were ok, no major issues, however they just did not seem as robust and solid as the BMW 335 I just traded. My sister has an ML350 built here and it has had many problems, and feels cheaply built. My GMC truck was built in the states and is great!

Like others have said, "If you like it, buy it." We are very happy with the Q. Good luck and happy motoring.
I am curious, why do you say the MMI is better than the iDrive? The MMI in the Q5 seems very outdated in looks, function, and the outdated maps. I played with the iDrive extensively and found it much faster and feature rich.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Idrive needs mutiple maniputaltion to arrivre at the sub menus with in the main menus for each function and the voice commands did not function that well. The Nav in the 335 (2 years newer) was better than the system in the X5. The speed seems equal between the systems. No easy VIM hack on Idrive. The Q maps seem ok. We got the Nav. in the Q for the DVD playback and park system. If I were you I would test drive both cars back to back or as close in time as possible. Try both systems again.

Buy what you like!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by obtix
I am curious, why do you say the MMI is better than the iDrive? The MMI in the Q5 seems very outdated in looks, function, and the outdated maps. I played with the iDrive extensively and found it much faster and feature rich.
I didn't even consider an X3 for three (plus one) reasons:

1. The original X3 had really bad ride and drive problems. The only buyers who actual laid down money for an original X3 were making a conscious choice to ignore overwhelming evidence, reviews and warnings that it was serious flawed.
2. There's no 4 option and the U.S. price for the 6 wasn't competitive.
3. The fuel economy ratings are weak.
Plus one: I know three people with X3s, none of whom know anything about cars. They all bought them without considering anything else because they wanted a BMW.

I may be completely wrong about all of this, however. #1 is no longer an issue because BMW has done a great job of fixing the ride. #2 is probably some of my own bias. The EPA ratings are only 1-2 MPG lower than a Q5 2.0T and BMWs often produce surprisingly good real-world mileage.

In the end, it's a preference as the other posters have said. Drive them both and decide if it's worth paying more for the BMW or waiting longer for the Audi. Plus, any buyer can go to any big U.S. BMW dealer take their pick.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by obtix
An easy solution for you to buy a BMW X3.
You must know that the Q5 3 years old.
Test MMI in the new Audi A6 and then reach a conclusion because it is a new model.
Buy what you think is better for you not to seek the opinion other people

Quick Reply: Audi, you may have lost me!