Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi, you may have lost me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Q5 and a 2011 M3. I will tell you that I am not a CTO, but I am a tech fan/guy.

While the M3's iDrive logic makes more sense to me as far as direction to turn the ****, that's about where it ends. The Audi MMI is by far better. While I can hit the voice button on the Q5 and say "dial x," on the M3 it takes about four voice commands to dial a number.

And the BMW interior, while decent, doesn't hold a candle to the Audi.

The M3 is sublime in its driving experience. I would expect the X3 to drive well.

I think you're having buyer's remorse and you're trying to rationalize it. If you want the BMW, just get it. But I don't buy your reasons for doing so.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psychodo
I also dislike the look of the X3, i-drive and run flat tires. But if that floats your boat then go for it. looks are subjective and both test fairly high in reviews. good luck!
Has OP responded?

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Funny, I test drove the X3 a couple of times and walked away not liking two things:

1. The interior felt sparse and kinda cheap in comparison to the Q5, my wife felt the same way. True

2. The shifter stick looks like a prop phaser from an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, kept looking for the "Stun" setting on it. I love that shifter

I also didn't like that the shifter was "drive by wire" and didn't actually mechanically engage anything. Getting it into Park was a bit weird and unintuitive to me as well.
We're gonna have to get used to those shifters because transmissions are all electronic these days so whats the need for an actual shifter when a button will do?

Originally Posted by obtix
I am curious, why do you say the MMI is better than the iDrive? The MMI in the Q5 seems very outdated in looks, function, and the outdated maps. I played with the iDrive extensively and found it much faster and feature rich.
I totally agree

Originally Posted by Reggie
I've got to say you should get the BMW. Clearly your needs are for technology over driving experience. As a ex BMW long term owner I made the switch to Audi in 97' for the performance in real world driving conditions, Safety (Audi frames are stronger than BMW - one of the reasons the cars are heavier), and interior comfort (you already like the BMW interior over Audi so I can't change your mind here).
I feel as if BMW is about driving experinece. Audi's to me seem heavy, especially upfront and the steering and brakes lack feel as well. In the Q5 I don't mind as it is not a sports car.

I feel as if the iDrive system is better than the MMI. The MMI direction is all wrong. I like the button layout of the MMI where it has the radio power and volume buttons right there but I like the iDrive having all of its buttons right behind the dial. The split screen option is nice and the menu's make sense.

I guess at the end of the day it all boils down to personal preference.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I feel as if BMW is about driving experinece. Audi's to me seem heavy, especially upfront and the steering and brakes lack feel as well. In the Q5 I don't mind as it is not a sports car.
Have you ever driven the new X3? Its not exactly a sports car either. You cannot compare a SUV to your 3 series as far as handling is concerned.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by psychodo
What exactly is it that is frustrating you? the wait or was there some bad dealings that happened?
The wait (which was just pushed back again), MMI, and lack of features. I really think the X3 is going to win.

Btw, Audi emailed me this morning. Was pushed back until after the new year.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Have you ever driven the new X3? Its not exactly a sports car either. You cannot compare a SUV to your 3 series as far as handling is concerned.
you are right, i was generalizing from my experiences with the BMW company and the many models I have driven and the Audi company and the many models i have driven from them.

Funny, I was going to test drive an X3 this weekend but they didn't have any 35i's to test.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
You are a CTO and you cant even count! 8 weeks ago today you had "just ordered" and you had "up to a ten week wait"!
According to your first post here you still have more than two weeks to go before you make this post no matter when you ordered.
You later gave a due date of 26th, again more than two weeks away!

You are clutching at straws looking for support for your unreasonable cancellation.

I would normally not reply to this but you are trying to lay blame at foot of Audi.
In reality there is something else on your mind. You even used words remorse and depressing in subsequent posts.
Be sure to report back whatever you decide. I am sure they are both great cars and I doubt buying either one will be a huge error in judgement.
Where did I say 8 weeks? The car was ordered mid Sept. The just pushed my date back to Jan. I am also past the 30 days on the contracted date of the car (11/14).
Old 12-12-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The wait (which was just pushed back again), MMI, and lack of features. I really think the X3 is going to win.

Sounds like your mind has already been made up. You are now rationalizing why you should buy the X3 instead. This additional delay on the Q5 should finalize it for you. Go get the X3, you will be happier for a little while anyways. I hate waiting for things too
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did I say 8 weeks? The car was ordered mid Sept. The just pushed my date back to Jan. I am also past the 30 days on the contracted date of the car (11/14).
Based on what you've reported here...
you prefer the interior
you prefer the tech
you can get it NOW
a few $$$ either way is no biggie
What are you waiting for...Get the X3.

The 35i engine is much more powerful than either of the Q5 choices...and silky smooth, too...all the way to redline. That's what I miss most about my 335i.
I can't speak for Audi's 8sp Auto but the 6 speed Steptronic that comes mated to the 35i engines is super smooth and FAST.
Have fun with your new ride whatever it ends up being!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Please go and buy a BMW X3 and the end of the story
You have already decided.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
you are right, i was generalizing from my experiences with the BMW company and the many models I have driven and the Audi company and the many models i have driven from them.

Funny, I was going to test drive an X3 this weekend but they didn't have any 35i's to test.
Its funny you said that. I cross shop the 535ix with the new A6 fully expecting the 535ix to perform better. Boy was I wrong, the A6 handle better and it was also quicker in accelaration. Steering or steering feel use to be BMW's strong point, but BMW really mess the steering feel on the new 5 series. It is so isolated that I thought I was driving a Lexus. The X3 is a bit better steering wise, but the biggest selling point is the accelaration, the X3 35i blows away the Q5 3.2. I was expecting Audi to counter the X3 35i with a 3.0T engine in the Q5. I was very surprise that it didnt happed in the 2012 model year, but with Q5 supply bearly keeping up with demand, Audi can affort to waiting another year.

Quick Reply: Audi, you may have lost me!