Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

AudiCare maintenance - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I have my independent Audi mechanic do maintenance on my Q5? I'm wondering if this would be less expensive than Audi Care.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, there have been plenty of AudiCare posts on the board, but I want to add my opinion.

We've owned many BMWs over the years, including the E46 3 series I currently drive. Over the years we've had E39 5 series, E36 3 series, etc.

We went with Audi for my wife's car for a variety of reasons, and I purchased Audicare thinking it was basically equivalent to BMW's free maintenance plan for an extra $850.

It's not.

We had the car in for dealer service the other day, and were informed that the front pads and rotors need replacing after 27k miles, and the estimate was $800 (fronts alone). I mentioned I had Audicare, and was informed it didn't cover consumable items like tires, brakes, and windshield wipers. I looked at the details of the policy, and it also doesn't cover engine belts, pulleys, etc.

Well, BMW's free plan covers all of the above with the exception of tires.

Fortunately, I can do the work myself, but I'm still not thrilled. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that it's $800 each for the front and rears (so $1600 total), plus $800 for audicare (total of $2400). That means when trying to make an apples to apples comparison between a Q5 and an X3, you'd need to add $2400 to the price of the Q, and that's assuming you only had the brakes done once under maintenance on the X3.

Doing it myself should be substantially cheaper, but I think Audi might want to consider matching something BMW gives away for free on something they charge for...
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

^ If you can do the work yourself then it shouldnt cost you more that $300 for OEM front pad/rotors.

I'm about to change the front/rear pads/rotors on our Q5 with Stoptech parts for just over $400.

IMO if you can do the work yourself any sort of maintenance package is a waste.

Last edited by Audirings4; 08-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

On BMW it' not free. You pay more for a BMW for a reason. Nothing is ever for free.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I come here for automotive advice,experience and opinions; in particular about my Audi Q5: please have the good sense to keep your politics to yourself, or put where it might be appreciated. DEFINITELY NOT HERE!!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Very sorry. Understood.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by johncaravello
Very sorry. Understood.
Thanks! I really love my new Audi Q5 (my third Audi), I enjoy reading about the joys and problems associated with it and I appreciate all positive info that we can all benefit from. I feel this forum is a genuine benefit to us all.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reisen
So, there have been plenty of AudiCare posts on the board, but I want to add my opinion.

We've owned many BMWs over the years, including the E46 3 series I currently drive. Over the years we've had E39 5 series, E36 3 series, etc.

We went with Audi for my wife's car for a variety of reasons, and I purchased Audicare thinking it was basically equivalent to BMW's free maintenance plan for an extra $850.

It's not.

We had the car in for dealer service the other day, and were informed that the front pads and rotors need replacing after 27k miles, and the estimate was $800 (fronts alone). I mentioned I had Audicare, and was informed it didn't cover consumable items like tires, brakes, and windshield wipers. I looked at the details of the policy, and it also doesn't cover engine belts, pulleys, etc.

Well, BMW's free plan covers all of the above with the exception of tires.

Fortunately, I can do the work myself, but I'm still not thrilled. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that it's $800 each for the front and rears (so $1600 total), plus $800 for audicare (total of $2400). That means when trying to make an apples to apples comparison between a Q5 and an X3, you'd need to add $2400 to the price of the Q, and that's assuming you only had the brakes done once under maintenance on the X3.

Doing it myself should be substantially cheaper, but I think Audi might want to consider matching something BMW gives away for free on something they charge for...
I don't own a Q5 yet, so forgive me if I sound naive. 800.00 for just the front pads and rotors sounds really expensive. I did a quick Google search and it seems that a similar job on an MDX would be around 300-400.00 (at the dealer). Why such a disparity between the two. I am just trying to educate myself before purchasing. Everytime I mention I am waiting on the 2013 Q5, people start telling how expensive the repairs will be, but no one seems to have any first hand knowledge.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Acura's service department is very reasonable. I have a 2006 TL that I still bring to the dealer for service for this reason. They are always running service specials and I have found that they are very fair and honest. ( at least the dealer I use. )
Old 08-13-2012, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by golfnguitarz
I don't own a Q5 yet, so forgive me if I sound naive. 800.00 for just the front pads and rotors sounds really expensive. I did a quick Google search and it seems that a similar job on an MDX would be around 300-400.00 (at the dealer). Why such a disparity between the two. I am just trying to educate myself before purchasing. Everytime I mention I am waiting on the 2013 Q5, people start telling how expensive the repairs will be, but no one seems to have any first hand knowledge.
That's the DC area. More specifically, Audi of Tyson's Corner, which is an area where prices for everything are jacked.

Just for a frame of reference, I got quoted $400 to replace the fuel filter on my E46 (did it myself for the cost of the filter, maybe $40, and three feet of high pressure fuel hose, maybe $4 or so). I was also quoted $800 at BMW of Fairfax to replace a leaking oil filter gasket on the same car, which is a $6 part.

At the same BMW dealership, I watched them charge a woman $115 to replace a turn signal bulb (yes, I'm serious). But, I agree $800 is very steep for just front pads and rotors. I think I saw in another thread where someone was quoted $650 in a different location.

If you're so inclined, brakes are a great DIY, and one of the first things I did years ago on my BMW. Since then, I've done controls arms (twice!), control arm bushings, shocks, struts, a thermostat, water pump, pulleys, belts, and tensioners, radiator hoses, and the fuel filter. I'll be doing the oil filter housing gasket soon, along with the idle control valve, a steering guibo, and a window regulator (the car is 10 years old).

I just need to get the torque specs for the Audi somewhere.