Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'Auto-Lock' Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'Auto-Lock' Question

Has anyone noticed if you manually lock your doors before driving, that they attempt to 'auto-lock' anyway once you hit 10mph (or whatever it is that activates it)?

It's a little annoying to hear the doors try and lock when they are already locked.

And no, I don't hate the car b/c of this , mainly just wondering if it's supposed to do this or not.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by john1r
Has anyone noticed if you manually lock your doors before driving, that they attempt to 'auto-lock' anyway once you hit 10mph (or whatever it is that activates it)?

It's a little annoying to hear the doors try and lock when they are already locked.

And no, I don't hate the car b/c of this , mainly just wondering if it's supposed to do this or not.
Its the central locking function in your MMI, you can turn it off.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes i've noticed this as well. I'm going with normal.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same topic ... kinda. Anyone know if you can set your car to lock automatically after you walk away from the car? I always hate walking in to work and thinking I forgot to lock up. Would be happy if this auto locked.
I know what the first statement would be ..."what if you left your key in the car?" I have the proximity key option on mine so my key is always in my pocket. Plus since mine senses the key, the car should not lock if it senses the key still in the cab.

I think I know the answer, but figured I'll ask anyway.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
same topic ... kinda. Anyone know if you can set your car to lock automatically after you walk away from the car? I always hate walking in to work and thinking I forgot to lock up. Would be happy if this auto locked.
I know what the first statement would be ..."what if you left your key in the car?" I have the proximity key option on mine so my key is always in my pocket. Plus since mine senses the key, the car should not lock if it senses the key still in the cab.

I think I know the answer, but figured I'll ask anyway.
Altho I have never tried it, I did read it in the manual that the car will autolock when the prestige key is away from the car for a given time.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by john1r

Are you sure you don't hate it a little... Come on just a little bit. You do sound angry.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

LOL
Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yob2kanobe
Altho I have never tried it, I did read it in the manual that the car will autolock when the prestige key is away from the car for a given time.
This must be something that get's set because mine doesn't lock overnight in the garage. I'll take a closer look at the manual ... thanks for the direction
Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

the doors will "auto-lock" only when you unlocked them AND did not actually open them.
if you would make the car to beep when you lock it, you will have less doubts about being locked or not.
you will need vag-com to do this
Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
This must be something that get's set because mine doesn't lock overnight in the garage. I'll take a closer look at the manual ... thanks for the direction
I think in some cars, thats call active arming, its a function of the alarm system. I am not sure if Audi have that option, but I know its not something the owner can set. There is a auto lock function if you unlock the Q5 and dont open the door for 30 seconds, it will lock itself back up.

Quick Reply: 'Auto-Lock' Question