Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Auto Luggage Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Luggage Compartment

I'm a new Q5 owner and having difficulity getting the auto luggage compartemtn to open. When I pull the compartment open switch inside the driver door, the compartment unlocks, but does not fully lift. It barely opens and when I pull the switch again, it then fully opens. The same happens (just unhinges the lock) if I press the trunk button on the remote key; then when I select the button again, the trunk fully opens. I've had the car for a week.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Try to manually force the trunk lid to the position that you would like it to open to and then hold the close button on the trunk for the setting to store (the lights will flash a few times to indicate that the setting has been stored).
Old 10-31-2009, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bayridgeguy
Try to manually force the trunk lid to the position that you would like it to open to and then hold the close button on the trunk for the setting to store (the lights will flash a few times to indicate that the setting has been stored).
I read about that "setting a position" and did try it, but I didn't see any lights "flashing" and it had no effect (door would not fully open). Is there a way to "reset" this setting...assuming it was somehow set at the factory/dealer? I don't see anything on resetting such a position back to its default (which I assume is a fully open position).

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

in order to lift the trunk with the key, you have to maintain pressure until it works
if manipulating the buttons, you must give very short impulsions otherwise the system will receive a second command annulating the first one (hold)
this van give the impression the system doens't work well (sequence is : open / hold / close / hold...aso)
Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by guyguyke
in order to lift the trunk with the key, you have to maintain pressure until it works
if manipulating the buttons, you must give very short impulsions otherwise the system will receive a second command annulating the first one (hold)
this van give the impression the system doens't work well (sequence is : open / hold / close / hold...aso)
I'm not sure I understand your "sequence." I have pressed and held the trunk button on the key FOB for at least 1-2 seconds. In addition, I have be unable to get the hatch button located in the driver side door. The manual says to simply lift the handle. When I do this, the hatch simply unlocks, but does not lift. Only if I pull the handle a second time, does it lift. As for the key FOB, the same thing...press and hold and the latch unlocks, but does not lift. Press and hold AGAIN, and the hatch lifts.

Not sure what you mean by "open/hold/close..." What am I "closing?"

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

there must be something wrong with the programmation of your trunk
I verified, and accordingly the manual
- my trunk lift first time when I press (once, briefly) on the driver door ****
- when the car is unlocked, my trunk lift first time when I press (once, briefly) on the trunk handle
- when the car is locked, my trunk lift when I press 2 sec on the trunk-icon of the keyfob; when closed again, the trunk locks again
Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there are 2 possibilities.
1: If the Tailgate is tight on the rubber. Audi will sense the load as interferance and prevent the tailgate lifting. When you hit the button or click the latch on the door itself for the second time it tries again. Quite often it will lift perfectly the second time.
2: the signal to activate is too short.
It is also a common problem in the Q7.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
I think there are 2 possibilities.
1: If the Tailgate is tight on the rubber. Audi will sense the load as interferance and prevent the tailgate lifting. When you hit the button or click the latch on the door itself for the second time it tries again. Quite often it will lift perfectly the second time.
2: the signal to activate is too short.
It is also a common problem in the Q7.
1. You are right about it working the "second time." The lift appears to simply "open" (no lift) on the first press. Any idea on how to "untighten" the Tailgate? Or is this something only a service visit can solve.
2. Is the "signal" in this case, the comm between my pressing the FOB or selecting the button on the door handle and the tailgate? Can the "signal" be made longer?

Thanks....I also see that someone else is experiencing the same problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by guyguyke
there must be something wrong with the programmation of your trunk
I verified, and accordingly the manual
- my trunk lift first time when I press (once, briefly) on the driver door ****
- when the car is unlocked, my trunk lift first time when I press (once, briefly) on the trunk handle
- when the car is locked, my trunk lift when I press 2 sec on the trunk-icon of the keyfob; when closed again, the trunk locks again
Did I understand you correctly, you can actually close the trunk lid with the remote? I have no problems opening it with the remote, but simply cannot get it to close with the remote or the driver's side button. The only way I can close it is by pressing the button inside the trunk lid itself.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by socalq5
1. You are right about it working the "second time." The lift appears to simply "open" (no lift) on the first press. Any idea on how to "untighten" the Tailgate? Or is this something only a service visit can solve.
2. Is the "signal" in this case, the comm between my pressing the FOB or selecting the button on the door handle and the tailgate? Can the "signal" be made longer?

Thanks....I also see that someone else is experiencing the same problem.
I think you should visit the dealer for safe measure. I'm not sure about the tight issue, but when I open the tailgate with the key I have to press the unlock tailgate button for about 2 seconds. The blinkers would flash first then the tailgate would open.

Quick Reply: Auto Luggage Compartment