Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Avoiding Break dust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the ArmorAll demo. The way the dirt slides off it looks like some sort of silicone or Teflon spray.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by q5s
I have never waxed or washed my wheels. When they get enough caked in brake dust and look black instead of silver I just get this out http://www.sonax.com/sonax-e/katalog...product=430200. Only 5 minutes later using some light agitation with a brush the wheel comes sparking clean. I have no idea how it works. One of the true miracle products. I know you're skeptical as I was. Only those who have actually used the product know what I'm talking about.
Agreed...excellent product.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q5s
I have never waxed or washed my wheels. When they get enough caked in brake dust and look black instead of silver I just get this out http://www.sonax.com/sonax-e/katalog...product=430200. Only 5 minutes later using some light agitation with a brush the wheel comes sparking clean. I have no idea how it works. One of the true miracle products. I know you're skeptical as I was. Only those who have actually used the product know what I'm talking about.
so...like, where can i buy this stuff?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBluu
so...like, where can i buy this stuff?
I just ordered some from Detailer's Domain.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q5s
+1, I use Sonax also, on my S-Line wheels it works wonders and without any agitation. It sprays on green and when it turns red it is ready to wash off. It even cleans the inside of the wheels as a result of overspray, all look better than new when done!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fastd1
I just watched the ArmorAll demo. The way the dirt slides off it looks like some sort of silicone or Teflon spray.
I just baught this over the weekend at our Canadian Tire store. I also bought the ArmorAll rim grime remover. Both products seem great so far. I have teh S-Line with 20" rims so I was able to get my hands in to even clean the inside of the rims! They haven't looked this clean since new. Well I havern't driven much and it's been hot and sunny since I cleaned them, but I'll be interested to see how well the product works.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
I just baught this over the weekend at our Canadian Tire store. I also bought the ArmorAll rim grime remover. Both products seem great so far. I have teh S-Line with 20" rims so I was able to get my hands in to even clean the inside of the rims! They haven't looked this clean since new. Well I havern't driven much and it's been hot and sunny since I cleaned them, but I'll be interested to see how well the product works.
Yes, I'd be interested in getting some feedback on those items. I have waxed my wheels a few weeks ago, so the dust does come a bit easier, but really does get dirty real fast.

Bob
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
Yes, I'd be interested in getting some feedback on those items. I have waxed my wheels a few weeks ago, so the dust does come a bit easier, but really does get dirty real fast.

Bob
I used up a can of that ArmorAll rim protective in 3 applications - all 4 wheels with each application. Followed all instructions.
It stayed clean for 3 to 4 days max. They claim up to 2 weeks, if I'm not mistaken. Somehow nothing out there seems to prevent or minimize the dirty dust issues of Audi or German brake pads.
Recently I tried to wax the rims as suggested by some on here. Like Bob noted, it does get dirtier even quicker!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would give Dave Zechhausen a call and ask him for his advice. Dave is the undisputed brake guru on many, many forums and will take more time than you can imagine to explain everything to you in a way everyone can understand. He is a Brembo dealer and is also the #1 Stoptech dealer in the world. On my RS4, I installed Centric Posi dustless pads at Dave's recommendation and they simply do not dust. Amazing! Great price, too.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...j97sphju1rhib2
Old 05-26-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK that does it! Our first day of ownership and only about 50 miles traveled, the front wheels are full of black dust!

Just placed an order for Centric Posi pads front and rear. About $120 shipped.

Quick Reply: Avoiding Break dust?