Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Avoiding Break dust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
OK that does it! Our first day of ownership and only about 50 miles traveled, the front wheels are full of black dust!

Just placed an order for Centric Posi pads front and rear. About $120 shipped.
I'm interested to know how these work out. Is there any negative to these pads (eg. increased rotor wear)?

This seems to be a problem on most cars with decent brake systems. I've learned to live with it; a small annoyance to get good braking performance.

The only car I have that doesn't have this problem has carbon/ceramic rotors. Not a cost-effective option for the Q5.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
OK that does it! Our first day of ownership and only about 50 miles traveled, the front wheels are full of black dust!

Just placed an order for Centric Posi pads front and rear. About $120 shipped.
Don't rush to conclusions just yet, you will see a large deposit of brake dust for the first few hundred miles of the car as you break them in. Not to say that brake dust isn't an issue later, but I certainly wouldn't judge it from your first couple of drives.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Yes, I'd be interested in getting some feedback on those items. I have waxed my wheels a few weeks ago, so the dust does come a bit easier, but really does get dirty real fast.

Bob
Ok so i did a quick white glove test (without the white glove). I ran my fingure across my rim to see how much break dust was there ... there was enough to be consifere normal after a couple of short drives. I thne took my compresser out and gave teh rim a quick burst of air and repeated the test. No more brake dust on my finger so my conclusion thus far is that if I give my rims a quick dusting maybe one a week and reaply the protectant between washes my rims should stay clean all summer .

I'll try and come back to this post after a month or so to let you know if I'm still happy.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since i started this thread, i will give a quick update here- I applied Armorall Wheel protectant last week. Looks like it has an impact based on what i am seeing so far. It is more than 5 days now. I hardly see any break dust in my wheels. Of course i drove the vehicle in the past 5 days or so almost every day.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I am wondering if the use of a wheel cleaner like Sonex will strip away that Armour protectant?

Bob
Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
I am wondering if the use of a wheel cleaner like Sonex will strip away that Armour protectant?

Bob
I just bought the Sonax and have a similar question. I wax my wheels and I wonder if this will strip the wax.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by polaraudi
I just bought the Sonax and have a similar question. I wax my wheels and I wonder if this will strip the wax.
Well, I guess you will let us know!

Bob
Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gronk
Don't rush to conclusions just yet, you will see a large deposit of brake dust for the first few hundred miles of the car as you break them in. Not to say that brake dust isn't an issue later, but I certainly wouldn't judge it from your first couple of drives.
There's going to be dust with the bedding process of new brakes but this isn't the first German car I've owned and it's not the first Audi either. They all dust like crazy. The Germans (and Europeans in general) don't seem to care much about brake dust. They wear it like a badge of honor or something. We Americans are different and can't stand dirty wheels!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by polaraudi
I have used Sonax and P21 wheel cleaners, yes they will strip the wax/sealants off. Both are great products for cleaning your wheels.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have anyone tried the Amrmor all rim protection spray?

I believe it is a new product....

Quick Reply: Avoiding Break dust?