Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Avoiding Break dust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
I used the Armor All stuff last week for the first time and I can confirm after a week that it is working great. Just make sure to apply it everywhere on your wheel. You will easily find which spots you've missed as this is the only place the dust will collect.

Martin
This product contains cyclopentasiloxane. Canada has serious concerns about this chemical, especially when entering water.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
This product contains cyclopentasiloxane. Canada has serious concerns about this chemical, especially when entering water.
That's a bummer!

Bob
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
As info, here is a link to Canada's concerns:

http://www.chemicalsubstanceschimiqu...1-02-6-eng.php
Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well lessee here. For what the Centric Posi dustless brake pads cost me ($59), I could have bought about 9 bottles of the ArmorAll medicated goo.

With the Centric Posi pads on the front, it's the rear wheels that show the dirt first. Braking performance seem unchanged wet or dry, but we haven't exactly been autocrossing around town, either

I still would like to try the ArmorAll product. Their website has a rebate coupon for a free bottle if you buy another ArmorAll product. Can't really imagine what other ArmorAll product I would want though
Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I bought some of the ArmorAll Wheel Protectant last night - $8.50 for 7 oz ouch!

It took 1/2 the bottle for 4 wheels. Good thing this first bottle was free with the rebate. At over $4 per application, it doesn't seem very well suited for routine use. I'm saving this stuff for week-long vacations/road trips.

Centric Posi brake pads seem the way to go.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I bought some of the ArmorAll Wheel Protectant last night - $8.50 for 7 oz ouch!

It took 1/2 the bottle for 4 wheels. Good thing this first bottle was free with the rebate. At over $4 per application, it doesn't seem very well suited for routine use. I'm saving this stuff for week-long vacations/road trips.

Centric Posi brake pads seem the way to go.
I used less then 1/4 of the bottle for 4 wheels. You dont need a thick layer of the stuff. If you see the liquid running a little on the wheels you put way to much on. I have the 19's though which make it pretty easy to apply.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How long does this stuff last? It almost the price of Rejex.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sacker00
I used less then 1/4 of the bottle for 4 wheels. You dont need a thick layer of the stuff. If you see the liquid running a little on the wheels you put way to much on. I have the 19's though which make it pretty easy to apply.
I hit all the internals as well, i.e., inside wheels, calipers, hubs, disk backing plates, etc. Maybe with more practice less could be used for sure. Who knows, 1/3 bottle for sure, maybe 1/4.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I hit all the internals as well, i.e., inside wheels, calipers, hubs, disk backing plates, etc. Maybe with more practice less could be used for sure. Who knows, 1/3 bottle for sure, maybe 1/4.
Ok you hit a lot more then i did. I just did the front and inside of the wheels. As far as how long it lasts, ive had one wash since the first application and its still pretty good.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Im on my 3rd week so far washing as usual each week, so far It has held up excellent and continues to repel the brake dust. By the way I only applied a very light coat (as if spray painting) and used less than 1/4 of the can to do so. Im likin it.

Quick Reply: Avoiding Break dust?