Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Baby on the way...Q7 vs Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby on the way...Q7 vs Q5

Can baby "stuff" fit in the back of the Q5? I am looking at a Q7 with less options for a little bit more than the Q7. We drove a 5 last night and it drove like a car. not sure about the wheels it came with.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haven't had a baby for a while, but my daughter, SIL, and one- year-old grandson were visiting recently from TX.

They drove our Q5 for 2 days and loved it. She normally drives a Volvo XC70 that has more interior cargo capacity than the Q5, but she thought it was "roomier" than the Volvo.

Having had many large SUV's in the past (still have an Escalade), I much prefer the Q5.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BiturboA6
Can baby "stuff" fit in the back of the Q5? I am looking at a Q7 with less options for a little bit more than the Q7. We drove a 5 last night and it drove like a car. not sure about the wheels it came with.

Thanks,
Brandon
The trunk space is what I would worry about, some mega size strollers might not fit back there.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BiturboA6

Thanks,
Brandon
You will probably have to remover the trunk cover for larger items. Remember that you can move the back seat forward. This is a plus with a young kid. It will move the baby closer to mommy and daddy, while increasing cargo space.

When my children were young, we where driving them in a Honda Accord and I survived. I can tell you that the trunk in the Q5 is roomier than the one in that car, I bet you should survive as well!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

We have a RX300 which is the size the Q5 was aimed at. Never had a issue for space in the RX. I suspect the Q5 (which we plan to order soon) is quite similar in space - and from what I remember about strollers most fold up quite small.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Kid & Q5

We have the Q5, a dog, and a 3 year old. At the end of the day the dog has the most room in the back. She is surrounded by bags and the golf clubs go behind the seats

We have an umbrella stoller that has to go diagnol across the cargo space as it will not fit across.

All that being said, we are going to have a 2nd child and keep the Q5. We will get a roof trunk for the stuff.

You should be fine in the 5 (of course the kid wants to go in the A4 Cabrio more)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
We have a RX300 which is the size the Q5 was aimed at. Never had a issue for space in the RX. I suspect the Q5 (which we plan to order soon) is quite similar in space - and from what I remember about strollers most fold up quite small.
It pains me to share this: friends of ours were recently shopping Q5s and RX400s, with the husband *really* wanting the Q5, and the wife having a bias towards the Q5 at the start.

They ended up with an RX400 - they found it had more interior room (particularly behind the second row) which was important for their needs.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife who drives the RX hated the new RX. We always got the invites to the new car introductions which are great - free sushi, wine, beer etc. She thought the car was so big she would not even get into it to try it out.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The new RX is basically a minivan
Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 17mth old with a mammoth car seat and a big stroller. I've had no issues with trunk space and people can actually ride in the front seat. The only time I take out the cover is when I put the dogs in the back. I traded in my Saab since there was no way anyone could sit in the front seat with the car seat rear facing. I looked at an XC60 and the legroom was also tight in the front. I thought the RX sucked and I've owned a few Lexus'. I looked at a Q7 but it was too big for my tastes and I really didn't see the point of the 3rd row. It was super cramped. We just use our Toyo Highlander when we need the xtra seats.

Quick Reply: Baby on the way...Q7 vs Q5