Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Bang & Olufsen Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang & Olufsen Adjustment Question

I have a 2013 Q5 with the Bang & Olufsen sound system. In the Tone adjustments under DSP Bang & Olufsen, there are supposed to be three adjustments that can be made: Sound Focus, Surround Level and Volume Balancing. Volume balancing is supposed to adjust the dynamic driving noise compensation by turning the the control ****. However, my system does not have the Volume Balancing option but has something called GALA instead. And the GALA option can only be set to Active or Inactive. Does anyone what know what GALA is and how it differs from Volume Balancing? I have it set to active but I do not notice any compensation in the volume related to driving noise. My previous Audi had the noise compensation feature which I liked. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
I have a 2013 Q5 with the Bang & Olufsen sound system. According to the owners manual, in the Tone adjustments under DSP Bang & Olufsen, there are supposed to be three adjustments that can be made: Sound Focus, Surround Level and Volume Balancing. Volume balancing is supposed to adjust the dynamic driving noise compensation by turning the the control ****. However, my system does not have the Volume Balancing option but has something called GALA instead. And the GALA option can only be set to Active or Inactive. Does anyone what know what GALA is and how it differs from Volume Balancing? I have it set to active but I do not notice any compensation in the volume related to driving noise. My previous Audi had the noise compensation feature which I liked. Thanks.
Well, after doing a Google search, I found that GALA is the volume balancing feature. But unlike what the owners manual states, it cannot be adjusted only set to active or inactive. I wonder why the owners manual says it is adjustable and gives it another name. Of course the manual says that CD's can be imported to the Jukebox and that is not the case, only files from SD cards can be imported and maybe other audio sources.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

GALA it works on the basis of measurements of noise and a certain acceleration
The Gala function matches the volume to the speed to compensate for road and wind noise
With the navigation there is only: active or inactive
Without navigation have the option GALA: auto or 1-7

Last edited by spijun; 04-16-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
GALA it works on the basis of measurements of noise and a certain acceleration
[...]
Without navigation have the option GALA: auto or 1-7
Do you know what 1 - 7 corresponds to? For example 1=>slight volume increase ... 7=> significant volume increase(?)

I almost want to deactivate it, but wouldn't object to small volume increase ... and this type of feature is difficult to test.

TIA
Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rarewolf
Do you know what 1 - 7 corresponds to? For example 1=>slight volume increase ... 7=> significant volume increase(?)

I almost want to deactivate it, but wouldn't object to small volume increase ... and this type of feature is difficult to test.

TIA
I wonder why with Navigation, there is only the choice of "active" or not for GALA rather than a 1 -7 selection?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
I wonder why with Navigation, there is only the choice of "active" or not for GALA rather than a 1 -7 selection?
My WAG: with the navigation option it comes with a noise-cancelling feature and interior microphones, so it can do a much better job of automatically controlling the volume of the radio for you.

Without nav, there's no way to really understand how loud things are in the cabin automatically, so you have a dial, 1<->7.

My old 2002 A6 (which I traded in for a 2013 Q5 Hybrid) & my 2001 TT had/have the GALA settings 1-7 (or whatever) but I remember the manuals saying that you're not supposed to notice that it's working. I think people are getting too hung up on if it's working - trust me it is. The point of the system is to make it so you don't have to think about it. I think people are over-thinking this feature.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I read recently on here that CD-Rs with actual song files on them can be used for importing to jukebox. Using store bought CDs would require a conversion process to compress them and make them MP3s or AACs. You are just storing files.

I haven't tried it myself yet.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Turguin
My WAG: with the navigation option it comes with a noise-cancelling feature and interior microphones, so it can do a much better job of automatically controlling the volume of the radio for you.

Without nav, there's no way to really understand how loud things are in the cabin automatically, so you have a dial, 1<->7.

My old 2002 A6 (which I traded in for a 2013 Q5 Hybrid) & my 2001 TT had/have the GALA settings 1-7 (or whatever) but I remember the manuals saying that you're not supposed to notice that it's working. I think people are getting too hung up on if it's working - trust me it is. The point of the system is to make it so you don't have to think about it. I think people are over-thinking this feature.
For your information all audio systems with B & O speakers have microphones for noise (with navigation and without navigation)
Compared A6 2002 and 2001 TT with B&O sistem in Q5 is impossible

Last edited by spijun; 04-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rarewolf

TIA
If you set level 1, the volume is increased less as speed increases and noise, if you set level 7 the volume is increased more as speed increases and noise

I tested it several times and it works ok
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
If you set level 1, the volume is increased less as speed increases and noise, if you set level 7 the volume is increased more as speed increases and noise

I tested it several times and it works ok
That's how I would assume that it works. However, mine will only allow activate or deactivate to be selected. I have it activated but I find that the volume selected at a stop has to be increased when the car is up to speed or it is not loud enough. And conversely, the volume selected at speed is too loud when the car is stopped and I end up turning the volume down. From the description in the manual and what some have said here, I should be able to choose a compensation level.