Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

BBS CX-R Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBS CX-R Wheels

Hi All -

Just slapped some 20" BBS CX-R on the ride. Wanted to post some pics since this forum has been very helpful for me. Let me know your 2 cents.

The ride is still a bit high in my opinion, was thinking of dropping it 1.5 inches. Not sure if I need to, to complete the look. If i do decide to drop it, should i get coilovers or springs?

Next is to tint the panoramic roof and 2 front windows.

Audi-on folks.
Attached Images   
Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

nicely done!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks very nice!

I'm dropping mine as well, and several people have done their Q's as well.

As far as Springs vs Coilovers, the choice is up to you.

Springs will drop you, but you have far less control over the drop. You put them on and where you settle to is where the car ends up. Some have gotten more drop than they wanted. The best springs out there seem to be the H&Rs and they come in a few different amounts of drop. Also with Springs only, remember that if you are not changing the shock as well, the shock may not be able to dampen the new rate at which the spring rebounds as they are not set up to work together in that way = bumpy ride for many folks. A few have had stories of passengers heads hitting the ceiling over bumps and have taken them back off.

Coilovers are the spring and shock/strut all in one unit with the ability to set your ride height by turning thru the threads. You can fine tune this any time you like and make sure to set up your Q with proper rake. This is the route I decided to go after much research. Plus you are able to upgrade the suspension completely to a more sporty set-up rather than running just stock shocks/struts. (unless you already have the s-line sport suspension that is)... The best Coilovers out there are KW (v1-v3 depending on what you are looking for) and the ST's are the exact same thing as KW v1, but are not stainless steel. Here are the differences: http://www.stsuspensions.com/coilovers.php

One thing to look out for when lowering (with either method) is the dimensions you will change on your vehicle. The greatest thing affected when you change your geometry will be the camber of the wheels. Some negative camber is good, but dropping will give you a lot. On the Q (like most vehicles today), our stock control arms are not adjustable, so you may get some inside tire wear. I am attempting some adjustable control arms, but they may not work on the Q (undetermined at this point). All an alignment can do for you with stock control arms is adjust toe in/toe out. The new shock systems have eliminated all the hassle for the tech by taking all of these other things out of the equation, but that doesn't help the one's that want to drop very much.

Here is a little more info for you:
http://www.rapid-racer.com/suspension-tuning.php

Last edited by ThunderDent; 10-21-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thx for all the info Thunder.

I'll most likely sit and not lower the ride anytime in the near future and when I feel the need to mod again, will look into this again. I like the coil overs idea and would go that route.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love those rims. Wanted to get them for my new 2013 but could not justify the $680 each. Going to be ordering Falken 20s instead. Similar in basic geometry but about $180 each.

I would not want to do anything that would sacrifice general road handling. Messing with suspension seems like that may compromise that. I don't think it needs to be lowered.

I nice after marker body kit would be awesome. =)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Suspension, when done right, won't really compromise handling or comfort

But I agree about the body kit...hehe