Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Beach/Sand Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach/Sand Driving

Hi All,

I am headed to The Outer Banks in NC for the annual kiteboarding trip and taking the Q5 for the first time.

We usually do a bit of beach driving and the turnouts over the dunes can be a bit tricky. I usually lower the pressure to 20psi on my highlander and didn't have any issues with that car.

I have read on some forum that the Q5 doesn't doe well in the sand/beach because of our non-locking differentials.

Anyone have any advice/experience to offer?

Thanks.
-Paul
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just keep moving

just like in your highlander, momentum is your friend !

Bring a tow strap, lower the air pressure and know the limits of your vehicle...
every vehicle has it's limits, even my purpose built jeeps have been in over their heads why we put winches on them
Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by theperchik
Hi All,

I am headed to The Outer Banks in NC for the annual kiteboarding trip and taking the Q5 for the first time.

We usually do a bit of beach driving and the turnouts over the dunes can be a bit tricky. I usually lower the pressure to 20psi on my highlander and didn't have any issues with that car.

I have read on some forum that the Q5 doesn't doe well in the sand/beach because of our non-locking differentials.

Anyone have any advice/experience to offer?

Thanks.
-Paul
11 PSI is the preferred air pressure for sand 15 PSI max.
Also a full size spare is required at many regulated sand locations.
Never had problems with open differentials on previous vehicles.
Our Q5 tire sizes are not on the accepted list at Cape cod.

http://www.nps.gov/caco/cape-cod-nat...ch-driving.htm
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we have EDL, electronic locking diffs for the front and rear however the torsen center diff is not locking in anyway. i've been stuck in the snow with both front wheel spinning, nothing to the rear where i needed it. the Q5's system works great for stability, like others said, momentum is your friend. i think you'll be fine if you got around in a highlander. used to have a highlander, upgraded to the Q.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kleinbus,

Do you reckon you could dig out that video of your Q5 in the sand - I tried looking for it but I couldn't find it.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

theperchik- I chatted with you on the side but thought I put my 2 cents on my experience..

I drove my Q in corolla beach, NC last year and it was fine and fun. Mine only had 5k miles at the time so I did not go crazy with it but did some turnouts until it freaked my wife. Like others said go with the momentum and don't slow or stop..

I saw some Jeeps haulin a$$ and they sure didn't care or worry a bit.. crazy high-schoolers

I believe it was Reggie that said about washing the underside after due to the salt, so def do that!

I am def going back next year. To see wild mustangs on the beach while doing this-- can't beat that.. Outerbanks is nice!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

So back home in NYC now. Drove around on the bayside at kite point for a while between Buxton and Avon. Never had the need to go onto any of the ocean-side beaches but did go over the Dunes on one of the turnouts without going down towards the water.

As a result i never even dropped the pressure.

On the bayside there were some parts with deep sand where a older 2wd ford ranger was stuck for a while. You feel when you loose some grip but the car was great. Never any worries or stress at all. Just kept on going, even in sharp turns.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Crusty,

I have video on snow getting almost high centered and reversing off and the sand is just photos from sand dunes...

Didn't air down and the EDL really sucks as it kills the momentum by braking the spinning wheel. I had to learn to use the Off-Road on and off to use the EDL to limit the spin and then after I got momentum, I turned it off and allowed some spin to keep moving.

Last edited by kleinbus; 12-05-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Crusty,

I have video on snow getting almost high centered and reversing off and the sand is just photos from sand dunes...
lets see that vid on snow!

Last edited by schanyc; 12-05-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah yes, thanks Kleinbus,
They are the images I remember but somehow I remembered it as a video - must have been thinking of the snow one!

You must be just about due to off-load the Q5 - any thoughts on what you'd replace it with?

Quick Reply: Beach/Sand Driving