Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-01-2016, 02:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Dust from pads excessive

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran Hawk HPS on a Brembo 4-wheel BBK in a previous car (E39 M5) and they were very impressive performance-wise and low dusting as well. They were a tad noisy however and dustier than the dead-quiet, extremely low dusting Centrics I have on my RS4 and Q5.

BTW, a good source (Dave Zechenhausen) told me that one (both?) of the owner(s) of Centrics drives/drove a Centric Posi pad-equipped RS4.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
HZ60: I swapped out my pads before the stockers got too worn down so VAG-COM wasn't necessary.

tomashek: Dave Zechhausen at Zeckhausen Racing:

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...h=44_2617_2618
Good thinking! If the pistons aren't extended too far you don't need to push them back. Never thought about that. I've only got about 9k mi , about 4k on the highway and plenty of pad left. Hate to pay someone to do something I've been doing for years just because of a computer. Damn new cars!! (The HZ60 should actually be 61 now)
Thanks very much for the tip!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HZ60
Good thinking! If the pistons aren't extended too far you don't need to push them back. Never thought about that. I've only got about 9k mi , about 4k on the highway and plenty of pad left. Hate to pay someone to do something I've been doing for years just because of a computer. Damn new cars!! (The HZ60 should actually be 61 now)
Thanks very much for the tip!
remember it's very important to remove the OEM pad material from the rotors before installing a pad of a different compound
Old 08-16-2011, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
remember it's very important to remove the OEM pad material from the rotors before installing a pad of a different compound
Would you suggest using brake cleaner or some other solvent or mechanically abrading with a wire wheel or a fine sanding disk? Are there any special tools needed or just the standard metric wrenches, allens, torx etc? Thanks for the heads up on the rotors!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to be cheated out of some good fun! A good bedding-in will take care of that...

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Not to be cheated out of some good fun! A good bedding-in will take care of that...

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Not so! If he's installing Ceramic over OEM bedding will not remove the old compound...only race pads driven at leisure will cut off the the old pad material and leave nice shiny rotors. The link says nothing about new pads cutting off dis-similar pad material. This link shows what can happen when "stacking" pad material...I learned the hard way on an '04 330i.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c.../swapping_pads

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 08-16-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HZ60
Would you suggest using brake cleaner or some other solvent or mechanically abrading with a wire wheel or a fine sanding disk? Are there any special tools needed or just the standard metric wrenches, allens, torx etc? Thanks for the heads up on the rotors!
I use common sandpaper. 60 first then 100. Sand in a circular motion. Brakleen to spray away residue. The you're good to go. Make sure you have 18mm, IIRC.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I use common sandpaper. 60 first then 100. Sand in a circular motion. Brakleen to spray away residue. The you're good to go. Make sure you have 18mm, IIRC.
Thank you guys, great info.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
So swapping pads will help for brake dust, but will it eliminate freakish squeaking brake sound when car comes to complete stop? I tried bedding, but it helps for couple days only and squeaking noise comes back. When I gently release brake pedal when at stop – it starts rolling slowly and it makes this horrendous squeaking sound.
So, is it a brake pads problem? Will swapping those help?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5owner
Anybody else annoyed by excessive brake dust on your wheels. It just ticks me off that you can wash it and 2 days later dark brake dust is all over the wheels and lower front rocker panel. I have done research and thinking about replacing pads with EBC redstuff.
Questions
1- has anybody tried these or others
2- wonder if it would void warranty in any way (not going to dealer)

2011 Q5 3.2 quattro. 3,000 miles

It can just be mine because i see others going down the road and there wheels look like crap
I have used Akebono Euro ceramics on XC90 and redstaff EBC on LR2-I noted that either pad was "close" to OEM in the beginning (both times I used new rotors), but as I drove more, the braking became less effective-it required harder push on the brake pedal to stop, and the SUVs would not stop as "easy" as with the OEM pads. I also has used Hawks ceramics on XC90 w/ new Centric premium rotors, and had to remove the Hawks pads because they did not brake good at all-put OEM Volvo pads on same rotors-huge difference. I recently changed rear pads on my LR2 -had Redstaff EBC, now put Greenstaff EBC 6000 series-I feel noticable improvement in braking, even that every one says that rear brakes are not so important as the fronts. However there was NO dust at all from Redstaff, there is some dust from the Greenstaff 6000, but it seems like it does not get into the rims as much as OEM pads' dust.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust from pads excessive