Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-01-2016, 02:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Dust from pads excessive

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I now use either P21S or Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner with every wash. They both contain chemicals that easily release the sintered brake residue. It's the only thing that worked for me.

Edit: Here's a link to the Sonax wheel cleaner with explanation of the sintering issue: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...ack_p_474.html
TY 11s.
I'll give it a try...got to be better than what I have been using. Even if it only helps a little that will be an improvement.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I went with the TSW Vortex.
TY..they're perfect!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
TY 11s.
I'll give it a try...got to be better than what I have been using. Even if it only helps a little that will be an improvement.
The stains that I had didn't really even look like brake dust. They were more brown-colored and would only show up in the winter, and would be visible after cleaning the wheels. At the time, I thought it was some sort of road residue - ice melt or some such. They truly looked like stains, not deposits. I now think the reason they only showed up in the winter is because of extended wash intervals durint that time of the year. I watched in disbelief how well the wheel cleaner did its job. Hope it works for ya'll.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I went with the TSW Vortex.

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_Vortex.php

Since I had planned to use them for the winter only, ease of cleaning was priority 1. The spoke design is simple, and the inside of the wheel is dark painted to help hide the brake dust that's hard to reach. Although I found them online for a little over $200 each, I decided to have the local Discount Tire store special order them for me ($229 each shipped). We didn't like the red and black TSW logo on the center cap, so I ordered custom cut Audi decals to cover them. Overall I'm pleased, although I would have gone with 19" had I known they were going to be the primary wheels. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Here are a couple quick late evening pics of the 18" TSW's. The center cap decals turned out better than expected. I think they would look much better in 19", but as I said I was planning on using them for winter only. Maybe I'll sell the stockers and upgrade/upsize my fair weather wheels at a later date.
Attached Images     
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Smits
Has anyone tried using brake/wheel dust covers?
Not recommended, the covers don't allow proper heat dissipation.

Warped rotors are the usual result.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the Centric Posi-Quit pads put on the front . I'm very disappointed there is still a lot of brake dust seems to be about the same . Have had no issues with noise and the way they stop but has not reduced the brake dust at all that i can tell . Just very disappointed !!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5owner
I had the Centric Posi-Quit pads put on the front . I'm very disappointed there is still a lot of brake dust seems to be about the same . Have had no issues with noise and the way they stop but has not reduced the brake dust at all that i can tell . Just very disappointed !!
Which ones did you get put on? The semi metallics?? I put these same on my '11 Q5 and the dust is like night & day difference. Did you put them on yourself or have a shop put them on? If it wasn't you, did you clean off all the excess dust that on the brake calipers, insides of the wheels etc? I had only driven my car 2K miles and there was so much brake dust on the parts themselves it was crazy!! I wonder if it just residual stuff getting on your wheels?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Must've rec'd the wrong pads. The difference is black vs. white, up vs. down, left vs. right.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Brake Pads

Reggie,
Do you still stand by the Centric pads over HAWK and feel the result were as good on your Q5? I am so frustrated by the amount of brake dust on my Q5.
Thank you,

Originally Posted by Reggie
2nd that - I have them on the RS and have them ordered for the Q5.