Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake dust questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Curious, are these pads terribly expensive and are they as good as the stock pads?

Bob
One of the most popular pads are Hawk ceramic. Very low dust and extremely long life. Expect to pay around $120-140 per set.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
One of the most popular pads are Hawk ceramic. Very low dust and extremely long life. Expect to pay around $120-140 per set.
my experience with all ceramic pads (Hawks, Akebono, EBC) was/is that they don't brake as well as OEM (used Akebono and Hawks in VOLVO XC90, EBC in Land Rover LR2).
Old 04-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used Hawk ceramics on my old Q7 and am looking at getting a set for the Q5 after just a few days of driving the rims are a mess...I could go a month with the Q7...also I happen to have great experiences with them and noticed no change in braking if anything it got better and more linear.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HAWK pads are amazing! huge difference with dust.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a week of driving in Europe at high speeds and other things, I hardly had any brake dust on the wheels (my BMW is much worse with brake dust). At the end of the day, I'd rather have powerful brakes than clean wheels.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
After a week of driving in Europe at high speeds and other things, I hardly had any brake dust on the wheels (my BMW is much worse with brake dust). At the end of the day, I'd rather have powerful brakes than clean wheels.
I would agree that stopping power is more important than clean wheels, but 2 things:
1. There is conflicting info here on whether the ceramic pads are as good as stock Audi pads? Anything definitive?
2. I get brake dust very quickly, granted litle is high speed driving, but a week with little brake dust? Not on my car; I only wish

Bob
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
I would agree that stopping power is more important than clean wheels, but 2 things:
1. There is conflicting info here on whether the ceramic pads are as good as stock Audi pads? Anything definitive?
2. I get brake dust very quickly, granted litle is high speed driving, but a week with little brake dust? Not on my car; I only wish

Bob
1. don't know, haven't tried that
2. maybe Audi switched the pads for 2010?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02AR2.7T
Used Hawk ceramics on my old Q7 and am looking at getting a set for the Q5 after just a few days of driving the rims are a mess...I could go a month with the Q7...also I happen to have great experiences with them and noticed no change in braking if anything it got better and more linear.
I used Hawks ceramic pads on XC90 and was not satisfied with braking at all, switched back to OEM pads after just a few hundred miles (I installed new Centric rotors as well w/ the Hawks...)

Prior to that when we got XC90 new in 2005, I installed Akebono ceramic pads and there was NO DUST at all, but the stopping power got worse as well.

I also noted that ceramic pads are somewhat close to OEM pads in braking first few thousand miles, but braking gets worse after 8K-10K miles, OEM pads are usually good until U change them.

Again, that is my personal experience.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not doubt your findings. It could possibly be differences between the two vehicles, maybe having 6-piston Brembos on the Q7 is the reason for my positive results. I also have the Hawk ceramics on my '07 Tahoe with great results too, though I did upgrade to SSBC slotted rotors when I did the pads.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by onemax03
I know this may seem like a bit much but I wipe down my wheels everyday...yes everyday to keep them clean. It really doesn't take as much time as you would think. Just give it a quick wipe down when you get home at the end of the day and your done. You could probably go two or three days, but it's much easier to get the dust off after one day.

I'm also used to doing this because I had chrome wheels before the Q5 and had to keep them clean to keep that shine...
Wow. That's, um, pretty OCD;-)

I going to get flamed for this but I like them when they're a bit dirty.

Quick Reply: Brake dust questions