Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake Recommendations for 2010 3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Recommendations for 2010 3.2?

Hi Folks,

I just had the 35k mile service performed on my 2010 that only has 27k miles on it. My dealer rep reported that there was only ~3mm left on the front pads, and that I should expect the sensor light to come on soon. The rear pads still had ~6mm left.

I'm also sick and tired of the brake dust. I would gladly give up some breaking performance for less dust, or no dust at all. Newer Q5s I've seen on the road don't seem to suffer from dust like the older models - including the 2014 2.0T loaner they provided. I’m left with the impression that Audi somehow “fixed” this dust problem at some point, yet they wouldn’t assure me that that new Audi pads would be any less dusty than the original pads. My rep provided a quote to do the brakes ($687.50 for front pads and rotors) but I said, "no thanks."

Is there a consensus among forum members on how to remedy the dust? I found some older threads that mentioned the Centric Posi Quiet pads... Someone also mentioned brakeperformance.com... Most of those threads have aged a bit now. Semi-metallic pads are mentioned a lot, but I'm hoping there is a "go to" product that most members rush to when they need pads and rotors these days. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. I want to get all four done with whatever aftermarket parts folks prefer.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 05-11-2014, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bumping up my own post...

Any recommendations on break pads and rotors?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-26-2014, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Free Bump

Anyone find pads that are dustless?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Akebono pads produce very little to no dust. They're a very common Euro replacement pad. I use them on my BMW. However, the initial bite isn't as strong as the dusty OEM pads - this is going to be your trade-off, I'm afraid.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Akebono pads produce very little to no dust. They're a very common Euro replacement pad. I use them on my BMW. However, the initial bite isn't as strong as the dusty OEM pads - this is going to be your trade-off, I'm afraid.
Thanks. I just had my mechanic put the Akebono EUROs on the front. So far I have no complains about the bite. They feel smoother and more linear than the original pads. Not as jerky. I'll know soon how much dust they leave behind.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scottndsky
Thanks. I just had my mechanic put the Akebono EUROs on the front. So far I have no complains about the bite. They feel smoother and more linear than the original pads. Not as jerky. I'll know soon how much dust they leave behind. the
Cheers,
Scott
They leave no dust at all, exc. slight whitish stuff that you easily get off the wheels.
In my experience after a a few thousand miles, ceramic pads become less effective in braking, and require more effort/pressure on the pedal.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd stay away from ceramic pads. They are very hard on rotors. On the other hand, some of us like the Centric Posi Dustless pads. They're semi-metallic and VERY kind to rotors. Get them at Zechhausen Racing. Rotors are a lot cheaper purchased online such as genuineaudiparts.com. Be careful ordering though. There are different sizes of rotors used on the 20120 Q5 (BTDT )

Be sure to check your caliper slide pins for corrosion. Two out of 4 on my car were too far gone to clean up with the wire wheel. Not sure how that happens since they're sealed in rubber bellows
Old 10-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i know it sounds generally lame but can't you just go to local auto parts store (Autozone) and purchase some duralast gold pads with lifetime warranty for $43 and the electronic sensor for $23? They are no ceramic and i have been using that brand on all my other cars for 15 years with great success and at the end of the life you take them back and they hand you another pair. You are done and have only spent $66.00.

I just can't see spending a fortune on something that is easily purchased and does a good job on any other car.

Am i missing something?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure I suppose you could. Centric Posi Quiet semi-metallic pads are only $59 though, are very low dusting, super quiet, and are well documented on this board. New sensors should not be needed. I have them on three cars so I suppose we're not all that different - we like to stick with what works for us!