Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a summary of mine for those that haven't read the other thread...

OEM 2013s and Adams rotors with StopTech stainless steel braided brake lines.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ThunderDent. Did you need a bracket or something special to get the '13 Calipers to fit on your '11? I have a 2010 that has the 19's on them now. Working on the Audi is new to me. All our other vehicles are all GM and I know those like the back of my hand. So before i buy anything for the Audi I want to make sure I know what I am getting into, any special brackets or adaptors that I would need. I love Brembo brakes but dont want to shell out the 2000+k to do the Big Brake Kit, so if I can get the OEM '13s to work on my '10 that would be awesome!

thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From what I've been told no new brackets needed. The PDF that Spijun posted shows they bolt right into the same bracket arm used on all the previous Q5 models.

I bought new bolts for them, just because they were cheap.

We'll find out if there are any fitment issues next week. It goes in Monday morning for 2 days to get everything put on.

I'll keep you in the loop on here for sure. You will need to upgrade the heat shields however.

You can do this mod for under $2500, not including the rotors. That is with discounted online pricing.

Every BBK that will fit the Q5 will be over $4000. You won't find one for $2000.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 01-17-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

STOP TEASING US JOEL haha I want to see pics of this car
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
STOP TEASING US JOEL haha I want to see pics of this car
I'll have it back Tuesday. Assuming there are no fitment issues, everything but the bodykit will be installed.

I'll take some photos and post before and after wheel arch gaps, etc.

Hopefully there won't be any issues with the caliper fitment at all.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Alright! Build update!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hope everything goes well. I am excited to see how the '13 calipers fit and if there are any brackets or adapters needed. I not wait to hear. If it works, then I think that is the route I might go. So long they will fit with 19" wheels.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I finally got my brakes ordered and installed last Saturday. I actually found everything I needed/wanted for now from Tire Rack and for a good price. Except the wear sensor, I got that from Napa. I also got a Ross-Tech cable. That has been fun playing around with everything. :-)

So here is what I did for Brakes:
  1. StopTech Cryo Cross Drilled Rotors front and rear
  2. Hawk HPS Pads front and rear

I have about 500 miles on them so far and the rotor and pad combo seem to be working great. They were a little noisy for the first 10-15 miles, but they settled in pretty quick. I think my only complaint so far are the pads don't seem to bit really good until they warm up. But once they warm up, they a lot better then the Audi pads that I replaced. I do need to bleed the system again as the pedal isn't as firm as I like it. So i am hoping that might also help the 'cold' braking power. The other thing is so far this setup also seems to have a lot less brake dust, which is always a good thing.

She got a pretty full service last weekend. (first since we bought her back in Nov). I also changed the plugs, upgraded to E3 plugs. I moved to the E3's in all my other vehicles a few years ago and saw better acceleration, pulls harder, feels 'like' new power, and a 1-2 MPG gain. So I am hoping they will do well in the Q5. This weekend we will have a nice road trip, so I will see if we get a little better MPG. But she does feel quicker off the line.
Also changed the oil and moved her to Valvoline Full Synthetic, I only run Valvoline fuilds in all my cars, so I am hoping the Audi will like Valvoline. lol So far so good. Engine is running nice and smooth and a little quieter.

Now that the maintenance is done, time for some fun projects with the Audi. :-)
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks nice!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks great! Would be a good time to paint the calipers too

Quick Reply: Brake upgrades