Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Break-in period never seems to end...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Break-in period never seems to end...

....but that's because I've been too busy to drive any more than my daily commute. I've had my Q5 for a week and am itchin' to take her up into the hills. Even here on the streets and highways I'm driving like my grandmother through the break-in period.

Had to drive my Acura RDX to the tire shop at lunch and I whipped it around like crazy just because I've been caged behind the Q5's break-in sensibility.

I'm lovin' the 3.2L even though I haven't really punched it yet. Such a great car... <3
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine...since May 1st 2010....black sline and i been driving pretty normal....75-85 on the highway (hard to slow it down )but i didn't do anything that i normally wouldn't do beside not really pushing my q5 too hard during the "BREAKING IN PERIOD"....so far nothing major happenes beside on swirls scratches on the black car and minor dent on the center console due to key chain hit..hheheheh kock on wood....my first audi and i am really happy about the decision that i made.....
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same here! We've just had it since Friday, and just can't wait to really open it up, and see how well it can do. Enough of this home to work and back thing!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm too lazy to read the owners manual on my 2011 2.0T Q5. What does Audi recommend for breaking in the engine? thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bwalter
I've had my Q5 for a week and am itchin' to take her up into the hills.
Take it to the hills! Varying engine speed and load is great for break-in...better than steady highway driving for sure. Just try to keep RPMs from jumping way up(over 5K). Watcha waitin fer...head fer da hills.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ween57
I'm too lazy to read the owners manual on my 2011 2.0T Q5. What does Audi recommend for breaking in the engine? thanks
They say that honesty is the best policy, but geezzz man, read your manual, it's the least you can do .
Old 08-17-2010, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would never break in a new vehicle putt putting around town, you need to open her up and vary the speed as posted above. A sluggish break in and continued operation as such can cause problems later on especially in these DI engines. Our local Audi dealer tells of a recent demise of a new R8s engine sold here and driven way too slow by the old man who bought it in only 12k miles.(search carbon build up)
Old 08-18-2010, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have heard this too - about varying engine speed during break in. If that's the objective, city driving would do this more than highway driving (unless of course you manually shift every now and then).

For opening up the throttle to get rid of those carbon deposits, we'd still want to wait after break in to do that I would think.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There has alway been 2 schools of thoughts as far as to how to properly break in an engine. Some will say drive it like you stole it to properly seat the piston rings. Others will say baby it bit at first and vary your rpm. Since Audi recommands babying, that is what I did.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
There has alway been 2 schools of thoughts as far as to how to properly break in an engine. Some will say drive it like you stole it to properly seat the piston rings. Others will say baby it bit at first and vary your rpm. Since Audi recommands babying, that is what I did.
I'm in the 'drive it like you stole it' camp. Here's one explanation as to why.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Quick Reply: Break-in period never seems to end...