Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Calling all Canadian owners!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Canadian owners!

Hello! I would really appreciate your help with this. I may be relocating to Calgary, Alberta in a year's time. In the meantime, I am considering buying either an A4 Avant or a Q5 while I am still in the States. However, I just don't know if the US warranty will work in Canada. I called Audi Canada and the answer was a bit non-committal. Do you have any information about this please?

Also, if I bring an A4 Avant or a Q5 into Canada, what kind of modifications do I have to make? Does it cost an arm and a leg to convert the speedometer from mph to km/h please? Is a block heater a requirement in Alberta?

Pardon my lengthy message, but the last question is regarding the pricing... when I configured a similarly equipped Q5 on the Audi Canada and the Audi US site, the price difference is almost $8000!!! That really put me off buying the vehicle in Canada. In reality, is the purchase price difference really that great between the States and Canada please? If the final price difference after I pay for everything that I need to do the convert the car to meet Canadian requirement not that great, I might as well just wait to purchase it in Canada.

Thanks so much for all your help! I will also post this on the A4 forum.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've looked into doing this before, and know of people who have done it, its easier than you think.

You won't need to convert the mileage. You will need day time running lights if the car does not already have them. You'll need to check the list of approved vehicles on the below web site to ensure its allowed to be imported. Also you'll need to get a letter from audi stating the car meets canadian safety regulations and emissions. Theres a few other things, can't remember them off the top of my head, but check out this web site for more information: http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

Since you are relocating to Canada, I do not believe you'll have to pay any additional import duties or taxes.

I would not purchase in Canada. I am a Canadian living in the US, and I can tell you that typically cars cost 10,000 or more in Canada. Pick a car, any car, and add at least 10,000 to the price.

If you have any questions let me know. I'm not an expert on the topic, but have looked into it quite a bit myself.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Chrysler, Acura-Honda and Mazda do not transfer their US warranties over to Canada if the owner moves, so the owner would need to drive to the US in order to repair his/her vehicle. Audi-VW, Toyota-Lexus, BMW, Ford, and Volvo on the other hand do honour their US warranty in Canada.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Import tax

I think the tax is 6.1% on any vehicle not made in North America. You have to give the border the paperwork 72 hours before crossing and present them with a recall notice stating that there are no current recalls on the vehicle. You get the recall notice from the manufacturer. I know BMW charges $400 for this notice which is a cash grab. If you google "import car to canada" there is alot of info on the subject.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really appreciate all of this great information! Thank you!

I had no idea that different car companies have different policies regarding US warranty - I am so glad that Audi Canada is honoring US warranty. Good for them!

CrownSeven, are you saying that since I will be relocating to Canada, I will not be paying the 6.1% tax at all? I tried to look at the various websites, but the information is quite vague and very fragemented. I just wished that they could be clearer about the whole thing! Sigh...

So, if I decide to buy a USED vehicle here, then a year later if I move to Canada, I will still have to pay the 6.1% tax for a non-NA manufactured vehicle? That is robbery!

If I really have to pay a 6.1% tax on a used Q5, maybe I should just save my $$$ and get the vehicle in Alberta... oh well, maybe that's what they want us to do, after all!

Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

As long as you are actually moving to canada, you will not pay duty or taxes on the car, or anything you bring with you for that matter. As long as you buy and register the vehicle in the US prior to moving to Canada.

That is what Immigration Canada says according to this link:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P006

I would give them a call and ask them to be sure: 1-888-848-8240
Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

CrownSeven, thank you for this great information! I feel so much better now... yes, it sounds like it will be worth buying it before I relocate then. Thanks!