Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Campaign 37G1

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Report Back Next Week

I'm getting the backup camera chip module installed next week, conicident with our 5k service. This 37G1 tranny software update will also be done, so will advise if any difference.

My observation to-date is that at very low speed in stop-and-go, particularly when on a slight downgrade, there is some "uncertainty" going on. I'm not talking about during the braking process, as that's a separate "little jerk", but rather during a coasting/gentle re-accelerating process.

Also had a one-off error code pop up at 3.2k miles re: "gearbox malfunction - visit service department "soon" - you may continue driving", and showed it to SM on my way to work, but it disappeared as expected when we shut down, and hasn't re-occurred. They will look for that error code when they run their diagnostics, see if there is anything to it, and presumably clear it out.

Will post outcome after next Wednesday.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just dropped my Q5 off for its 5k about 20 minutes ago. They are going to implement this 37G1 campaign software update, as well as put in the back-up camera chip (I haven't received my second letter about it - but since they have it in stock, they are going to move forwar dwith it while car is there). Also have a sunroof rattle that cropped up in the past couple of weeks that they are checking on.

Will reply back when I've had a chance to experience the software fix.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just to clarify, here is part of the communication letter directly from Audi regarding the 37G1 RVU.

What vehicles are affected?
There are a total of 28,980 Model Year 2011-2012 Audi vehicles affected in the U.S. by this RVU.

What is the issue?
On certain Audi A4, A5, A5 Cabriolet, Q5 and A8 vehicles manufactured within a specific period it is possible that under certain driving conditions there may be a hesitation or a harsh downshift.

What dows the repair procedure involve?
TCM software update and standstill adaptation to improve driving condition.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got my '12 Q5 back from its 5k, and it had the 37G1 software update done. Now, granted, all I did was drive from the dealership to home in mostly bumper-to-bumper rush-hour traffic, but in that stretch, I didn't once feel any sort of lurching. None.

I'll report back in a couple of days after I've had the weekend to bang on it a bit.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it's been a week now and the TCM firmware update seems to have had the desired affect. The low speed down shifts are noticably less jerky and it seems to have has a positive affect on the offline clunk from the driveline.

Anyone know of a ECM update which will make the throttle mapping less "turbo explosive"?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sounds Encouraging

Thanks for the details on this issue skierjen.

Sounds like there is a noticeable difference with the update, based on the recent posts.

Will hopefully be able to add to this positive story by next weekend. Time will tell how long-lasting this mod will be...other than that we're quite pleased with our choice.

BTW, CR had a quite favorable review of the new A6, although couldn't "recommend" for lack of history with the re-design.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, have been driving around all day with this software update and I haven't noticed a single instance of low-speed jerkiness. Even the initial subtle turbo lag is all but gone. Gas pedal is very responsive now - minor pressure on or off the pedal results in instant and noticeable acceleration/deceleration.

I know D is adaptive, so we'll see how it is in a few weeks after the system has "learned" my driving style and adapted. But so far an excellent fix!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ditto

+2 Geronimosan

Right from the get go leaving the dealership...no hesitation, no jerks. Seems a bit peppier at the low end. Let's see how long this lasts, but we're off to a great start with this update. Easy 10-mile drive home, so no "acid test" of stop and go just yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skierjen
Just to clarify, here is part of the communication letter directly from Audi regarding the 37G1 RVU.

What vehicles are affected?
There are a total of 28,980 Model Year 2011-2012 Audi vehicles affected in the U.S. by this RVU.

What is the issue?
On certain Audi A4, A5, A5 Cabriolet, Q5 and A8 vehicles manufactured within a specific period it is possible that under certain driving conditions there may be a hesitation or a harsh downshift.

What dows the repair procedure involve?
TCM software update and standstill adaptation to improve driving condition.
Does this affect the 2010 Audi Q5 3.2L? Apparently even after the ECM update I still experience a harsh shifting from gear 1-2.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:52 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak to the 2010, but I just had the 37G1 campaign done on my 2009 (3.2 obviously) and it certainly seems more fluid/linear in shifting (and I haven't experienced any of the previous harsh shifting, but for me it was infrequent). I spoke to the lead tech and he said that things are 'reset' with the trans electronics so your driving habits are relearned after the fact.

-tgt

Quick Reply: Campaign 37G1