Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Campaign 37G1

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my car in tomorrow to get the backup camera installed and I'm going to ask about this update. Does anyone know if it wipes out any VAG mods or ECU tunes?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it will wipe out any tranny vag com tweaks ...
the D1, D2, etc gear display comes to mind....
Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmm I would've expected this to be a 8-spd tiptronic specific update. Does it apply to 3.2L Q5's?

I've had rough shifting issues that were solved by just re-doing the adaptation procedure, no software changes at all. So don't underestimate the dramatic difference in shifting behavior just by resetting/readapting the TCM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
yes it will wipe out any tranny vag com tweaks ...
the D1, D2, etc gear display comes to mind....
Actually, it didn't. I had it done this morning. My D1, D2 gear display was unaffected.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmmmm, how much do you trust your dealer ?

IMHO, I would suspect they didn't do the same flash as they did on mine - because it cleared my d1, etc... -

And I expected that since it is a tranny software program that they are loading.... and the vag com tweaks to the tranny SHOULD have been overlaid...
(at least in my experience thus far with tuning many other vehicles)

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 12-16-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know what to say. Since the service manager already had the transmission upgrade written up on the service order before I got there to do my backup camera upgrade (meaning I didn't even have to ask about it), I have to assume this was something they intended to do. I have no reason to believe otherwise. They've always shot straight with me before. Who knows, maybe they restored my mod. (Yeah, probably not...)
Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Had mine in for the 5K service and asked about this update and any others. They said something about my stereo amplifer had a TSB about an update but it was already current when checked. So they said they updated nothing and all is up to spec. However since my service visit my shifting 2 to 1 is always smooth now and I now need to come to a complete stop to shift to 1 in D. My D1,D2 etc mod is still there as well. Also when I auto scanned their service numbers are all over my log file. Confused yet?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
I don't know what to say. Since the service manager already had the transmission upgrade written up on the service order before I got there to do my backup camera upgrade (meaning I didn't even have to ask about it), I have to assume this was something they intended to do. I have no reason to believe otherwise. They've always shot straight with me before. Who knows, maybe they restored my mod. (Yeah, probably not...)
I am in the same boat as you. They told me they did the campaign upgrade but i still kept my Vag-Com D1, D2, etc. I am 700km from my next check-up, will ask them to confirm they have performed the 37G1 next time i go.

I am also surprised i would have kept the mod.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default All of this Begs a Question

Very happy with the results so far, but one wonders why this issue couldn't be figured out first time through. Is it that the test drivers in GER don't experience the same traffic conditions we have here?

In one sense, I can imagine that when you move away from a purely hydraulic setup and add electronic sensors with a huge number of variables, it can be a daunting task to anticipate every possible condition...hence the "learning process" for the system. This concept is not foreign to me, as this technique can be used in other applications to determine what is normal and what is not, so that "alarms" can be triggered for corrective action, ideally without any false alarms. Is that what's happening with the tranny system?

Looking forward to other ideas on this...just curious. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

re tranny downshifts...
I noticed something today when the wife let me drive HER Q

had to hit the brakes hard today and noted the tranny REALLY snapped into the lower gears quickly...

so I braked firmly a couple more times to verify it was consistent and sure enough, the downshifts are firmer and quicker the harder you hit the brakes,
it does a great job of using the engine and gearing to take some of the load off the brakes and help you stop quicker... Nice feature !

I recognized the feature because my last three Ford Excursion deezle's do the same thing (with a bit more weight - like 8000 lbs pushing it !)

Quick Reply: Campaign 37G1