Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Campaign 37G1

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: poor shifting trans

Every Audi I have driven, while shopping for the Q5 I eventually purchased, as well as the loaners I drove while mine was at the shop, have had the "throttle tip-in" lag. It's not a "drive by wire" issue as I have driven many late model cars which are drive by wire and NONE of those cars had the Audi delay. The tip-in lag coupled with the poor shifting trans make for a very frustrating city drive.

The poor shifting in my car (and apparently many others) is a product of poor engineering on the part of those who designed the TCU shifting profile. The fact that Audi is aware of the issue and has only made a feeble attempt at a resolution speaks volumes about their customer staisfaction orientation.

I must say that Lexus has figured it out as evidenced by that manufacturers ownership of the #1 rating.

When ya spend 50K for a car it's gotta be more than just transportation - ya gotta love it and it's difficult to love the Q5!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
Every Audi I have driven, while shopping for the Q5 I eventually purchased, as well as the loaners I drove while mine was at the shop, have had the "throttle tip-in" lag. It's not a "drive by wire" issue as I have driven many late model cars which are drive by wire and NONE of those cars had the Audi delay. The tip-in lag coupled with the poor shifting trans make for a very frustrating city drive.

The poor shifting in my car (and apparently many others) is a product of poor engineering on the part of those who designed the TCU shifting profile. The fact that Audi is aware of the issue and has only made a feeble attempt at a resolution speaks volumes about their customer staisfaction orientation.

I must say that Lexus has figured it out as evidenced by that manufacturers ownership of the #1 rating.

When ya spend 50K for a car it's gotta be more than just transportation - ya gotta love it and it's difficult to love the Q5!
Do you ever drive it in "S" mode? I feel it alleviates much of those symptoms you're talking about. Consider "D" as eco-mode and "S" as sport mode. Audi wrote two different maps to allow customers to choose, similar to what BMW and many other manufacturers do. Maybe it's how they have approached/marketed it that makes people not want to have to put it in "S" mode.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Silly question, but we're not talking about turbo lag here, are we?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think that what russ describes is also that new to Adui (or VAG products in general, or at least some of them). For the last almost 10 years I have been driving the 2003 Passat wagon. It is basically stretched out Audi A4: the 2.8 V6, Audi quatro, etc. It's driving the same way. At the very begging it was driving me crazy. You push the accelerator at the stop and for a while car is trying to figure out what you actually want and then it goes. I kind of learned to live with it and now after 116k miles it actually seems a little bit better, but still not perfect. The drive is very smooth otherwise.

When I testes a 2.0T Q5 that I'm replacing my passat with it actually felt like the Q5 had less lag and was faster then the passat. I pushed it from the stop because wanted to experience how the 2.0T in the Q5 pulls from the start and it felt very responsive. Also drove it in a stop and go traffic and on the highway and it seemed fine compering to the old 2.8 V6 engine. The weight of my passat and the Q5 are very similar.

Just my .02c for whatever it's worth .....
Old 06-08-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by john1r
Couldn't have said it better myself. There are entirely too many people complaining about this to not think that it's anything but a real problem (kind of like the water pump issue which indeed turned out to be a real issue, not just a few random people on a forum complaining).

There is absolutely no way that our cars are supposed to be driving like this. People (and service managers) constantly post (or tell us) that this is just how Audis are, or you have drive by wire, or some other technical or non-technical reason/excuse. But simply put it is NOT normal, NOT how any Q5 that I test drove was and NOT how many other forum members describe their driving experience.

Many people have commented that they can't even tell when the car is shifting. I would gladly even accept barely noticing in mine. However, the shifts are so completely noticeable and annoying when driving around town. Combined with the lag it makes for a miserable (and sometimes dangerous/scary) driving experience.

Highways are a totally different story. Car flies along, has great passing speed, etc... But at low speeds, when braking, accelerating and shifting are required, it's just awful.

I think I mentioned in another post that I recently rented a 2010 or 2011 Honda Civic and nearly got into an accident when I pulled out of the lot because I'm so used to having to gun it just to get my Q5 going that when I pressed a little more than moderately hard on the Civic's accelerator I nearly flew across the road and into a parked car. The entire driving experience (not including the cheap feel and lack of passing power once moving) with the civic was honestly more pleasurable than with my Q5. Driving around town was a complete joy. I was able to take off after a red light, stop at stop signs and quickly take off again without the transmission trying to figure out what gear it wanted to be in, etc...

At this point I've had Audi look at it several times and tell me it's all normal. They've done whatever updates they can and nothing has helped.

Sorry for the long rant but I'm really just tired of everyone having excuses and telling me it's normal, it'll go away, etc... It's simply not normal, is not going away (it got better for a while but has come back) and makes for a miserable driving experience (highway not included).
I have had exactly the same experience with my 2011 A5 B8 8speed triptronic - i am fed up with excuses , this car had the potential to hook me - it did with its great looks and very good handling - when the car is on the freeway at speed it is amazing that a 2.0 can accelerate and perform so well, But as soon as you hit slow traffic or start to drive in the city and the trans starts to jerk and the accelerator is non responsive i hate the thing - it is inexcusable that a company like Audi who wants to build their brand and COMPETE with BMW and Mercedes can screw it up so badly - FYI i had the 37G1 upgrade to my TCM done yesterday big improvement i must say - 90% there but who knows what will happen down the road - i have lost confidence with Audi, it took to long to release this so called fix, a year ago i sat next to the Head service advisor/technician in my car on a test drive for 45 minutes who told me "theres nothing wrong with it, i dont feel anything" that was a year ago - Well there was because guess what i got yesterday a year later - a transmission software upgrade to fix the issue! Oh and I was given a 2011 A4 with 15K on the clock - biggest pile of **** i have ever driven - talk a bout throttle lag / delay - its downright dangerous, seriously - I cant wait to give my A5 back and get a real car ! definitely not an Audi - i am done - back to American Muscle
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just picked up my Q from dealer after bringing it in for 5k service. I told them about the slow speed tranny jerkyness. They did the 37G1 TCU update and adaptive drive. Shifting seemed better in my 1/2 mile drive home. I will head for some bumper to bumper on Saturday to really check out if it shifts any better.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I finally had a chance to put the Q through its paces after the TCU update. The difference is like night and day. Tip in seems much smoother with a more linear acceleration. Both upshifts and downshifts are now nearly undetectable. Its amazing to me that Audi would even deliver a product with that old jerky mapping.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Still not happy

Came back from the 15k service and dealer wouldn't touch the issue. Said 37G1 campaign was completed, didn't see any fault codes, so nothing to do.

It's herky-jerky, especially 4-3 and around town driving. I'd rather drive the wife's JSW with DSG.

I suspect that a full TCM adaptation drive is necessary, but the dealer wouldn't do it.

I have a VCDS - can anyone post the full TCM adaptation drive procedure?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Can Campaign 37G1 be undone

Question for some of you who may do some of you who do your service at a non-dealership shop.

I have a 2012 Q5. At the 5k mile service the campaign 37G1 upgrade was done. I took my Q5 in for a 10k mile oil change to an independent shop. A day later it seemed like the downshifts from 2 to 1 when I was stopping were a bit jerkier. I noticed the shop did reset the oil change interval in the computer. Any chance the tranny upgrade could have been reset. I assume some of you DIY VAG-COM folks might know about this.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK - so I just came back from having my trailer module coded (self-install). Last time I was in for my 15k service at the dealer, they couldn't code it because they didn't have the instructions. I printed out a copy from the internet (go figure), and scheduled a follow-up. I asked them to evaluate the shifting -- they did, said it seemed fine, did nothing. Grrr...

For the follow-up to the trailer module coding, I asked to drop off the Q5 the night before, since the harsh shifting is most pronounced / consistent when I'm driving to work in the AM (e.g., it's cold, not up to normal op temp yet) and I insisted there was still an issue (despite the service rep thinking I was just crazy). They obliged, and I was lucky to get a brand-new (no one had driven it yet) allroad as a loaner. Nice car, but I digress...

I left the tech with a printout of my complaint on the passenger seat -- essentially details on where the jerk-ey-ness happened (e.g., 3-2, when slowing, primarily in city stop/go traffic, more pronounced when in S mode, when cold, etc.), and lo-and-behold, the tech said supposedly said "something isn't right here..." Hurray! I'm not crazy!!

Per the service manager, they did a "full clutch adaptation" of the TCM which required driving the vehicle under various conditions. This is in contrast to the Campaign 37G1 "standstill" adaptation.

The car is 98% of where I think it should be, based on driving equivalent A4s and the new allroad 2.0T 8-spd. Butter is butter. My Q5 drives like margarine now after the full drive adaptation, which is WAYYY better than the lumpy rotten cottage cheese it was before. I was considering a Revo mod to just be done with the whole thing, and now I may hold off a bit (that would still be pretty awesome...).

My recommendation is somehow convincing the Audi tech to do a full clutch adaptation on your Q5. Learn how to replicate the issue (e.g., roll to a slow stop), and ride with a tech or provide them instructions on how to specifically force the behavior themselves.

We'll see how long it stays, but I'm not plugging my VagCom in until I'm sure this adaptation sticks.

Hope this helps someone else out there - I feel like I suffered for 15k miles with a less than optimal Q5, and now it feels like I have a new car and want to drive it (as it should be).