Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cannot put gas in

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
When i went for a fill up last week, when i opened the cap, i heard a pressure coming out too. I wait and then i've put in the nozzle. No problem filling up.
Fuel systems are very tightly sealed, to limit evaporation of fuel. Not to "save" fuel but for emissions control. It is not uncommon for the hissing sound when you "break the seal". I'm not actually sure if it is relieving internal pressure or sucking in outside air. Either way, it's a sign the system is actually working right.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just to be clear, I've been pumping my own gas for 40 years - in this Q5 for 18 months. In all attempts to fill up but two it has worked as it should and it wasn't a different gas station where the problem happened. As previously mentioned, after 'powered cycling' the ignition the second time the problem went away. This isn't a pop the seal noise, it is like a fan running continuously. It is loud and you would know if it happened to you. Clearly it's not a common problem with the Q5. It's still under warranty so I'll mention it the next time I have it in for service.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticar
Fuel systems are very tightly sealed, to limit evaporation of fuel. Not to "save" fuel but for emissions control. It is not uncommon for the hissing sound when you "break the seal". I'm not actually sure if it is relieving internal pressure or sucking in outside air. Either way, it's a sign the system is actually working right.
Most Audi vehicles have an Evaporation Pressurization pump. that pressurizes the Evap system at startup and performs a leakdown check. If it detects a leak it throws a code. This Pressuratization pump after a few minutes, turns into the fuel tank vent.

If as another poster stated, the carbon canister is blocked it also won't allow the proper venting of the fuel tank. The carbon canister is vented through the Pressurization Pump when it is in vent mode.

There is also a small button inside the fueling hole that opens this venting system. The refueling nozzle must go in properly to push the button.

Thus any of the three times above can cause a none venting tank and difficulty in refueling.

I've been there with this problem, my dealer and Audi engineering said it definitely was a bad fuel tank that needed to be replaced, which required half the car/chassis taken apart and we all know that it would never be put back together correctly again. I did my homework and own testing and proved to them that it was indeed the carbon canister, it was! They gave me a new Evap Carbon Canister and a free fill up for me efforts, and sent the new ordered gas tank back to Germany!!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HarmsWay
Just to be clear, I've been pumping my own gas for 40 years - in this Q5 for 18 months. In all attempts to fill up but two it has worked as it should and it wasn't a different gas station where the problem happened. As previously mentioned, after 'powered cycling' the ignition the second time the problem went away. This isn't a pop the seal noise, it is like a fan running continuously. It is loud and you would know if it happened to you. Clearly it's not a common problem with the Q5. It's still under warranty so I'll mention it the next time I have it in for service.
Sounds like the Pressurization pump is running when it should be venting.

Do you fill up with the car turned off?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
^^^This. Have the dealer investigate assuming we're still under warranty. Not an uncommon problem when you can't pump gasoline in.
I have heard of this issue too on past postings -
Old 02-20-2019, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Most Audi vehicles have an Evaporation Pressurization pump. that pressurizes the Evap system at startup and performs a leakdown check. If it detects a leak it throws a code. This Pressuratization pump after a few minutes, turns into the fuel tank vent.

If as another poster stated, the carbon canister is blocked it also won't allow the proper venting of the fuel tank. The carbon canister is vented through the Pressurization Pump when it is in vent mode.

There is also a small button inside the fueling hole that opens this venting system. The refueling nozzle must go in properly to push the button.

Thus any of the three times above can cause a none venting tank and difficulty in refueling.

I've been there with this problem, my dealer and Audi engineering said it definitely was a bad fuel tank that needed to be replaced, which required half the car/chassis taken apart and we all know that it would never be put back together correctly again. I did my homework and own testing and proved to them that it was indeed the carbon canister, it was! They gave me a new Evap Carbon Canister and a free fill up for me efforts, and sent the new ordered gas tank back to Germany!!

Digging up an old thread, but this (unable to add fuel to the tank without the pump stopping almost immediately) has recently begun happening to me...can anyone tell me where the Q5's evap canister is located? Thx!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PerGar
Digging up an old thread, but this (unable to add fuel to the tank without the pump stopping almost immediately) has recently begun happening to me...can anyone tell me where the Q5's evap canister is located? Thx!
One of my most favorite mystery subjects...……

You didn't state what year Q5, the following if for MY 2013+

Pull of the #6 tank to evap canister vent hose off the canister. See if you can fill up the tank. Report back here...……….

Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

Bob has been around a long time! So have I
Old 02-20-2019, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah and this Evap stuff is just so much fun.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Bob has been around a long time! So have I
Yes, since 1996 when AudiWorld was first called Jet's A4 Pages, then A4.org, on to AW...……

You know what is sad, is that for the last 23 years I looked at these forums almost every hour that I was awake while working, traveling the world, now in retirement as long as there was a computer connected to the WEB around. Now it's mostly all cell phone.

Quick Reply: Cannot put gas in