Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

can't lock car without key

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default can't lock car without key

I just found out something today. I found that my wife had left the Q unlocked. So being that I did not have my key with me, I opened the drivers door and tried to push the lock button on the door thinking I could do that and just close the door just like in every other car I have ever owned. Nothing happened at all. I could not lock it. I had to walk back to my house and lock it with the remote. Any thoughts? Is this a design flaw, oversight or just the way electronic doorlocks work nowadays?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open the back door reach forward to front door and lock. Close rear door.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Schlampenschlepper
Sounds reasonable. I didn't think of that at the time, I will try it. I only tried locking from drivers door while it was open. Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by johncaravello
I only tried locking from drivers door while it was open.
Standard VAG process 10 years ago, which probably still holds up: you can only lock the car if the driver's door is closed. All other doors may be open, but driver's specifically is required to be closed. I assume it's something about not locking keys in the car, but you can't lock with the key with the driver's door open, either.

My Odyssey is really annoying because I can't lock it until all doors are closed. So instead of telling the car to lock and it locking once all doors are closed, I have to close all the doors and then I can push the lock button. So I have to wait for the power sliding door to finish closing (can't close them manually to be faster, even).
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Schlampenschlepper
Ok. I tried that. No dice. First of all someone would need gorilla arms to reach the front open/lock buttons. So I tried it using the rear button with a rear door open. Still no luck. I must be doing something wrong. No auto maker would make a car that you can't lock without the key in your possession. I can understand if the key is in the car but if it sees no key at all one should be able to push an interior button and push the door closed. The buttons act like they have no power at all...no lights no clicks no nothing.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's good to know and nice feature for the most people.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are all Audis like this or is it a "safety" feature for advance key only being that it is never in the ignition and can be easily forgotten in the console or wherever?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok. I tried that. No dice. First of all someone would need gorilla arms to reach the front open/lock buttons. So I tried it using the rear button with a rear door open. Still no luck. I must be doing something wrong. No auto maker would make a car that you can't lock without the key in your possession. I can understand if the key is in the car but if it sees no key at all one should be able to push an interior button and push the door closed. The buttons act like they have no power at all...no lights no clicks no nothing.
it makes sense to me, what if you take out the key, put it somewhere while gathering your belongings or whatever, and then exit the car and lock it without the key? I've sometimes gotten out of the car and realized I've put the key in the center console or passenger seat while talking on the phone, grabbing bags etc. If you have keyless ignition, theres an even bigger chance to leave the key inside.

Actually I never even considered using the button inside the car when theres a remote key. Its the only way to open the doors, makes sense to me to close with it as well (except cars with keyless entry, of course..)

Last edited by arcS; 12-15-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't care for the limited ways of locking the car. I have been driving for 30 years and I have never locked my keys in the car. Maybe because I pay attention to what I am doing. When we first got the Q my wife somehow managed to lock her key in it. She claimed the car locked itself. I had to change the settings for her so it would not happen again. She opened the hatch from the inside, got out closed the door pressed the lock button on the outside went to the back, put her purse with advance key inside the hatch, got out some stuff, forgot to grab the purse and closed the hatch and when it came down it locked along with all of the doors.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

She opened the hatch from the inside, got out closed the door pressed the lock button on the outside went to the back, put her purse with advance key inside the hatch, got out some stuff, forgot to grab the purse and closed the hatch and when it came down it locked along with all of the doors.
She requested the car to lock, and the car locked once all doors were closed. This is standard procedure and something that I've been constantly missing for the past 3.5 years on my Odyssey.

Also note that at least on the VWs that my wife and I have had (not sure if it still holds 8+ years later), hatches will typically lock themselves when closed and don't unlock when the doors are unlocked. So if you leave your keys in the back, you'd have to go back around to the front to unlock/open the hatch again.

Quick Reply: can't lock car without key