Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

can't lock car without key

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johncaravello
I have been driving for 30 years and I have never locked my keys in the car. Maybe because I pay attention to what I am doing.
Thats good for you. but as you said, it happened to your wife, so it happens, which is likely one of the reasons for this feature.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe so but I would rather have an option to lock my car when I don't have a key with me. An on/off option could have been easily been included in the MMI car menu. Also a physical lock touch point on the hatch would have been nice too. Neither issue is a big deal just would have been nice usable options/features.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cars have been doing this for years

My 2000 Cadillac DTS would not lock the driver's door from driver side door when getting out, but it would lock the rest, remote locks the car yet a passenger could lock door when getting out, now on my caddy I could leave Key in the ignition and leave it running in the winter while having an other key fob in my pocket to lock it, it is so the driver does not lock the key inside, but you know that, also my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland does not let you lock the driver's door from the drivers door when key is in the vehicle, YET my 2003 Ford Crown Vic P71 will let you lock all the doors from any door even while the engine is running, not good.

Now I know what you are saying about needing the key-fob in your possession when standing outside the vehicle and trying to lock it, I brought the groceries into the house and emptied my pockets and went to get the rest and lock the doors and it was a no go,I forgot the key in the house, Well it is a safety feature as the keys could have been in the car or in the trunk, or under the hood after checking oil and fluids, SO YES you need to have the key on your person to let the system know the key is in fact outside the vehicle, not just in it.

as far as locking everything before one is done in the trunk, Why ???
One could drop or forget their belongings if not paying attention and lock the key in the trunk ...... JK
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Some of the reasons are:
-reason is safety and security.

Lock with key activates the system protect cars in 5 points

Last edited by spijun; 12-17-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK. I give up. I guess Audi knows what I want and need better then I know myself!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. I give up. I guess Audi knows what I want and need better then I know myself!
John,

I'm with you on this issue...

I have the Advance Key (push button start with fob in your pocket) and HATE the fact that Audi won't let you lock the car unless you have the key fob with you.

Here's a typical scenario: I pull up to the house, leave the car unlocked (while I head inside) so my kids can unload their book bags, groceries or whatever. When they are done they try to lock the car by pushing the lock button on the inside of one of the front doors (before closing the door) - but the car won't lock.

I have to remember to later come back in range with the key fob and lock the car. The first week we had the car it was unknowingly left unlocked countless times before we realised that it wasn't locking when pushing the interior door lock buttons.

I've talked to several Audi techs and they don't know the logic behind Audi's seemingly inane decision to program the locking feature this way. At first they usually say its so you can't lock your keys in the car. But if you leave your Advance key in the car - the car would know it's there and would unlock the door when you pull on the car handle.

Can anyone help me understand why Audi thinks we can't be trusted to lock the car with the interior door button?

This issue along with cumbersome MMI functions and repeated bluetooth linking problems with a 2nd phone is making me long for my old Volvo.

Ford/Lincoln has the ABSOLUTE best solution in the industry with their touch-pad combo entry system. I long for the days when my kids and I could use our "secret code" to get something out of the car without needing keys. We could even lock the keys in the car on purpose (gasp) when we didn't want to take the keys with us on a beach/swimming outing.

I've never figured out why Ford/Lincoln is the only automaker with this simple yet amazingly convenient feature of touch-pad entry. AUDI - are you listening??
Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hate to say this because I really enjoy the interaction with everone on this forum but some of the crazed brainwashed "Audiphiles" around here refuse to find fault in any of Audis design decisions. This non-locking issue is just one of many silly over-thought oversights IMHO.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbier

Ford/Lincoln has the ABSOLUTE best solution in the industry with their touch-pad combo entry system. I long for the days when my kids and I could use our "secret code" to get something out of the car without needing keys. We could even lock the keys in the car on purpose (gasp) when we didn't want to take the keys with us on a beach/swimming outing.

I've never figured out why Ford/Lincoln is the only automaker with this simple yet amazingly convenient feature of touch-pad entry. AUDI - are you listening??
My old 98 Ford Explorer had this. I totally loved it. It was one of the best features on the truck. I used it exactly as you descibed all of the time. I would gladly pay extra to have that touchpad,
Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I hate to say this because I really enjoy the interaction with everone on this forum but some of the crazed brainwashed "Audiphiles" around here refuse to find fault in any of Audis design decisions. This non-locking issue is just one of many silly over-thought oversights IMHO.
Once again, I totally agree with you. I never thought my 11 year-old Ford Windstar would provide a more logical and user-friendly (non-driving) experience than my much more expensive Audi Q5!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

And then there's the power liftgate that you can't close with the remote. Audi ays it's for safety. Uh huh.

Quick Reply: can't lock car without key