Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

can't lock car without key

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse
And then there's the power liftgate that you can't close with the remote. Audi ays it's for safety. Uh huh.
Forgot to mention that annoyance.

Also can't close it from inside the car so when my short 4th grader grabs her book back from the trunk while being dropped off at school - the cars waiting behind us get to watch her jump up/down a few times until she manages to hit the button. I considered adjusting the hatch lift height but then us adults risk banging our heads.

Thanks for protecting us from ourselves Audi!

Don't get me wrong - we definitely still like the car, but we'd consider it much closer to perfect if it didn't have these little annoyances. They also made me realize that Audi design/use engineers (or their user research) isn't all that spectacular.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnestHouse
And then there's the power liftgate that you can't close with the remote. Audi ays it's for safety. Uh huh.
There is a solution
http://www.kufatec.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1126
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
I am aware of that device and the discussions here about it. It does require a bit of installation, adds another thing to rattle and I'm not sure how Audi would treat warranty visits when that is installed.

It's 2013. Competing luxury SUVs and lesser cars have the remote and some have a foot switch.

The hatch will stop if it hits a person. How is it a safety issue? Seems like an old tired excuse nowadays.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm definitely interested! Does anybody know how easy or hard that module (Comfort Hatch Module ) is to install? I searched the forum but found nothing.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dbier
I'm definitely interested! Does anybody know how easy or hard that module (Comfort Hatch Module ) is to install? I searched the forum but found nothing.
Perhaps the best way to contact Kufatec directly and ask for explanations
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I saw install instructions somewhere. Google around for "Q5 liftgate close". Here's a thread of interest:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...tch-by-Kufatec

Basically, you have to remove the headliner in the rear, secure the module somehow and tap it's wires into a connector for the power lift gate that is in that area.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Perhaps the best way to contact Kufatec directly and ask for explanations
I'll definitely try contacting them but based on a few other posts I've come across, they haven't been very responsive/helpful.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll definitely try contacting them but based on a few other posts I've come across, they haven't been very responsive/helpful.
My two buddies are installed in the A4 and Q5 are working without problems.
I really do not know about problems in communicating with Kufatec
Of course there is always the possibility of problems

Good luck
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Won't work (yet) with 2013 Q5

My two buddies are installed in the A4 and Q5 are working without problems.
I really do not know about problems in communicating with Kufatec
Of course there is always the possibility of problems

Good luck
I sent them and email and did get a quick reply. Unfortunately, it wasn't good news for 2013 Q5 (maybe also Q7?) models:

"Thank you for the inquiry, Unfortunately for the 2013 models we see that they do not work correctly with that particular model year. They are working on a fix right now. If we hear any updates we will let you know."
Old 01-20-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by arcS
it makes sense to me, what if you take out the key, put it somewhere while gathering your belongings or whatever, and then exit the car and lock it without the key? I've sometimes gotten out of the car and realized I've put the key in the center console or passenger seat while talking on the phone, grabbing bags etc. If you have keyless ignition, theres an even bigger chance to leave the key inside.

Actually I never even considered using the button inside the car when theres a remote key. Its the only way to open the doors, makes sense to me to close with it as well (except cars with keyless entry, of course..)

I am in complete agreement. Most cars with a smart type key will sense the key inside the vehicle and will not activate the locks (then beep or alert you to the keys being in the car). But why wont the car lock without a smart key near by? This is maddening. The concept of locking your keys in the car does not apply if they are not detected within proximity of the car. How many times do you find your car unlocked in the driveway and just want to lock it but dont have the keys in your possession.

Quick Reply: can't lock car without key