Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

car won't start with new battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't start with new battery

Hi All

I have a Q5 2009, and been sitting outside for years, and then battery went dead since last year. I bought a new battery last year but also been sitting inside the car since then. So I decided 2 days ago to use the car.

I tried one of those battery pack (used last year no problems to jump start) to jump start the car on the old battery. I went directly to the battery inside trunk but I somehow forgot I had the key in ignition while plugging in the clamped. The red clamped suddenly got burned/corroded. So I removed it and replaced the battery with the new one I got last year.

Then it did try to start for 5 sec then died. All lights and radio was on. I see on screen about battery low and need to drive to charge. I somehow left the trunk open all day. When I was back at night and tried to start it, radio/lights not even on. It seemed it drained the battery with hood open.

I checked with multi-meter and found only 7.3V on the new battery, so I bought a smart battery charger and charged it overnight and this morning, got about 12.3V and 80% charged. Tried to jump start again with a new jump starter and not even trying to start. no sound. All lights/radio is on.

Right now, battery is being reconditioned using the smart battery charger.

Question is, is this caused by bad battery or other issues like bad alternator or something?

Do I still have a chance to get it start again once reconditioned is done in few days?

Or do I simply just need a new battery?

Or do I best to just tow it to dealer to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any insights.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"I bought a new battery last year but also been sitting inside the car since then. "
So you don't have a new battery in the car, you have a thoroughly DEAD year-old battery in the car.
Batteries take permanent damage, internally, if they are allowed to sit without charging for as little as 30 days. With an AGM battery such as Audi uses, that damage takes much longer, but they still need a maintenance charge every few months. Leave it sitting without regular charging, and it is destroyed internally.
If you plan to leave the car sitting you will need a maintenance (trickle) charger or a properly sized solar panel to keep it topped up. The Q5 can consume a battery in less than two months of just "sitting".
Old 11-06-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you buy the solar charger do not leave it on the dash. It'll leave a mark. I parked a VW with a solar charger for about a month and it left a permanent mark on the dash.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the gen-you-whine VW solar charger is supposed to hang from the mirror.
But a good point would be to cover the dash with a cheap white terrycloth towel, to prevent sun damage and to prevent any marking.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I think the gen-you-whine VW solar charger is supposed to hang from the mirror.
But a good point would be to cover the dash with a cheap white terrycloth towel, to prevent sun damage and to prevent any marking.
I had the VW panel with the suction cups that attach to the window. It didn't stick very well so it stayed on the dash.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
"I bought a new battery last year but also been sitting inside the car since then. "
So you don't have a new battery in the car, you have a thoroughly DEAD year-old battery in the car.
Batteries take permanent damage, internally, if they are allowed to sit without charging for as little as 30 days. With an AGM battery such as Audi uses, that damage takes much longer, but they still need a maintenance charge every few months. Leave it sitting without regular charging, and it is destroyed internally.
If you plan to leave the car sitting you will need a maintenance (trickle) charger or a properly sized solar panel to keep it topped up. The Q5 can consume a battery in less than two months of just "sitting".
Thank you for the reply, so I just need to buy a new battery and it will start ok then? Even using smart charger battery still not gonna be enough to bring it back up from the dead? Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Battery probably gone, and post charge voltage tends to confirm one of the cells is out to lunch--approx 12, not 14 that is. And that doesn't even say if the remaining ones can hold much charge either.

If you are going to leave it sitting for extended periods, yes you need some kind of charging device. On my boat I just leave an auto shut of trickle charger plugged in to it, and set the battery up so it has the plug ready to attach any time it is put away for long periods. Solar cell could get you to same place conceptually if no plug is handy nearby.

Unfortunately no guarantees you did not short something, blow a heavy body type fuse, etc, with what you describe. But unless you reversed polarity, it was likely just a high amperage surge that sparked quite hot but not much more. Proceeding w/ new battery is logical next step--but now with a standby charge solution so you don't keep just ending up with scrap batteries annually.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BarryT
I had the VW panel with the suction cups that attach to the window. It didn't stick very well so it stayed on the dash.
you know the vw charger model/brand that's good for this car? Thx
Old 11-07-2016, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

will this work? https://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Por.../dp/B00QRHDIPY
Old 11-07-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It probably will work, is about the right power. But.

The cigarette lighter plug is disconnected when the ignition is off. The VW panel gets around that by plugging into the battery constant power line on the ODBII port. You can do the same thing if you also buy an OBD plug and wire it up for the panel. Or change the lighter socket power to battery constant, requires messing in the fuse box.

Or, you can try to take the power leads through the firewall to the battery charging plug, or back to the battery itself. Both kinda PITA kludges.

If you have the moonroof, you can stick it under that instead of the windshield. If not, lay it flat on the dash, unless your car is facing south. Solar panels lose 10% of their output for every 15 degrees that they are not aligned parallel (directly facing) the sun, as it moves during the say. So, simply flat is the best way to place them if you're not orienting them toward the sun.

Quick Reply: car won't start with new battery