Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

caravan towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caravan towing

I would like to tow a caravan, the hitch is installed but I need the module to activate the electric brakes of the caravan, it is a Kokanee Express 21, 2010. The dry weight is 3325 lb., could you tell me what to do. Thank you
Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you mean a caravan with camels and spice traders? or just a Dodge minivan?

Either way, you probably need to find a different forum.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jplisnier
I would like to tow a caravan, the hitch is installed but I need the module to activate the electric brakes of the caravan, it is a Kokanee Express 21, 2010. The dry weight is 3325 lb., could you tell me what to do. Thank you
Do you have the trailer controller installed and you are looking for an electric brake controller?

Those are two seperate things.

The first is made by Audi (more specifically by Bosch if I am not mistaken) and controls the trailer lights and informs your Q5 that a trailer is connected to it so it may ajust the ESP accordingly.

The second is an after market module that will send electric voltage to the trailer brakes when you apply the brakes on your Q5.

For the first one, see your Audi dealer. For the second one, I recommend the Tekonsha P3. It's inertia based controller will send impulses to the trailer brakes proportionally to the car's deceleration. This is really a good thing when you are in traffic. The other time based controller will have your trailer "pull" you car in traffic. This is really annoying.

Cheers
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Try again...caravan = trailer

in Europe, of the camping sort of variety. Might want to watch a little more TopGear or something...

For the O.P., similar to the other response I could not figure out if you actually meant electrically actuated trailer brakes, or simply the slave hydraulic cylinder in a trailer tongue at the same time as a trailer lighting electrical harness.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-17-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
Do you mean a caravan with camels and spice traders? or just a Dodge minivan?

Either way, you probably need to find a different forum.

What the heck happened to this forum, reply above reflects the IQ of wet rock...

Caravan is another name for travel trailer.

If OP wants to activate electric brakes then OP needs electric brake controller or buy trailer with hydraulic surge brakes that doesn't need brake controllers as trailer coupling haves the controller in it.

If the dry weight is 3325 lbs then you might want to verify the loaded weight as once you have your junk (travel stuff) loaded, you might be so close to tow rating that you would be better off with tad lighter trailer.

Do not forget the tongue load either....

Last edited by kleinbus; 06-17-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Do you have the trailer controller installed and you are looking for an electric brake controller?

The first is made by Audi (more specifically by Bosch if I am not mistaken) and controls the trailer lights and informs your Q5 that a trailer is connected to it so it may ajust the ESP accordingly.

The second is an after market module that will send electric voltage to the trailer brakes when you apply the brakes on your Q5.

For the first one, see your Audi dealer. For the second one, I recommend the Tekonsha P3. It's inertia based controller will send impulses to the trailer brakes proportionally to the car's deceleration. This is really a good thing when you are in traffic. The other time based controller will have your trailer "pull" you car in traffic. This is really annoying.

Cheers
Completely agree about proportional brake controller. I have Tekonsha Prodigy in my Expy. I see now where they have a radio based controller that requires no wiring called Prodigy RF. Might be a good choice for vehicles that aren't prewired for brake controllers as most large SUVs are.

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prod...ID=1435&part=0
Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
What the heck happened to this forum, reply above reflects the IQ of wet rock...
ACK!!! What happened to this forum that there's no room for some humor? Do you expect me to wear a jacket and tie when I post something?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MartinQ5

Cheers
Thank you very much, it is right I am looking for the module that you are speaking about the Tekonsha, a trailer shop are proposing to install the ascend from Husky. Is it a good choice? Sorry for my English but I am French speaking.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you very much, it is right I am looking for the module that you are speaking about the Tekonsha, a trailer shop are proposing to install the ascend from Husky. Is it a good choice? Sorry for my English but I am French speaking.
The hitch was installed by Audi garage and works well. Thank you.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The hitch was installed by Audi garage and works well. Thank you.
Je vois que votre controlleur a déjà été installé. Je ne connais pas le Husky. Bonne chance avec votre roulotte!

"I can see that you already installed your controller. I don't know anything about the Husky. Good luck with your caravan!"

ALP!

Martin

Quick Reply: caravan towing