Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

caravan towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Je vois que votre controlleur a déjà été installé. Je ne connais pas le Husky. Bonne chance avec votre roulotte!

"I can see that you already installed your controller. I don't know anything about the Husky. Good luck with your caravan!"

ALP!

Martin
No I did not installed yet the controller since you recommend the Tecomsha P3, in fact I will installed a Tecomsha because it is a better brand. Thex propose me the Prodigy P2 or the wireless the Prodigy RF. Do you know about this 2.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jplisnier
No I did not installed yet the controller since you recommend the Tecomsha P3, in fact I will installed a Tecomsha because it is a better brand. Thex propose me the Prodigy P2 or the wireless the Prodigy RF. Do you know about this 2.
I understood wrong then. Sorry.

Both the P2 and the RF are proportional brake controller.

The P2 is the previous version of the P3. It has a 2 digit blue LCD 7 segments display compared to the P3 color configuravle lcd layout with pictograms. It should be cheaper than the P3.

The prodigy RF is about the same controller as the P2. But the user interface part can be located anywhere in the car as it connects to the actual controller via radio frequencies (RF). However, as far as I could see, it still needs to be connected to a power outlet. Also, it has the same P2 display.

You should now have all the info to select the correct controller.

For your info, the Q5 has a pre wired connector for connecting a brake module. It is located under the dash near the light control switch. You will need to remove the panel under the steering wheel to access it. I spliced the wires to connect my P3 as buying a compatible connector from my dealer was around 60$...

Cheers
Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Choices

What is the best, in quality and reputation in the caravaning ( travel trailer) world

The tekonsha Prodigy P2 or the Tekonsha P3
and
The Husky ascend.

Can someone answer on this question, I will go to instal one of them this week.
Thank you very much.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

What is the best, in quality and reputation in the caravaning ( travel trailer) world

and
The Husky ascend.

Thank you very much.
I could not find any documentation on the Husky Ascend... The company's only proportional brake controller is the Quest.

I am fully satisfied with my P3. I strongly recommend it.

Funny thing, my father who as a huge fifth wheel trailer (30+ feet) got also a P3 installed on his truck. His dealer recommended it. So we have the same controller without even talking about it.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For your info, the Q5 has a pre wired connector for connecting a brake module. It is located under the dash near the light control switch. You will need to remove the panel under the steering wheel to access it.

Cheers
This is really good to know! Thanks! Pretty much makes it a slam dunk to install a hard wired brake controller.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

and
The Husky ascend.

Thank you very much.
hi jplisnier . i tow a 26.5 ft van that weighs 2800kg i have a prodigy p2 which i find very good . our previous van weighed 2400kg so with the heavier weight i just had to adjust the amout that the van breaks by turning the thumbwheel so that the whole rig all breaks in a neutral fashion.
my brother in law has a redarc brand controller which is neat because all you can see is a little red light and a small pot poking through an unused piece of under dash to adjust the breaking force of the van
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

and
The Husky ascend.

Thank you very much.
hi jplisnier . i tow a 26.5 ft van that weighs 2800kg i have a prodigy p2 which i find very good . our previous van weighed 2400kg so with the heavier weight i just had to adjust the amout that the van brakes by turning the thumbwheel so that the whole rig all breaks in a neutral fashion.
my brother in law has a redarc brand controller which is neat because all you can see is a little red light and a small pot poking through an unused piece of under dash to adjust the breaking force of the van
Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting the remote control Prodigy installed on my "caravan" (British and Australian for trailer for you camping newbies) and will have a report once my 2014 Q5 comes in. I did catch the tongue and cheek of the first response. Does anyone know how many miles you should drive your car before you tow?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I understood wrong then. Sorry.

Both the P2 and the RF are proportional brake controller.

The P2 is the previous version of the P3. It has a 2 digit blue LCD 7 segments display compared to the P3 color configuravle lcd layout with pictograms. It should be cheaper than the P3.

The prodigy RF is about the same controller as the P2. But the user interface part can be located anywhere in the car as it connects to the actual controller via radio frequencies (RF). However, as far as I could see, it still needs to be connected to a power outlet. Also, it has the same P2 display.

You should now have all the info to select the correct controller.

For your info, the Q5 has a pre wired connector for connecting a brake module. It is located under the dash near the light control switch. You will need to remove the panel under the steering wheel to access it. I spliced the wires to connect my P3 as buying a compatible connector from my dealer was around 60$...

Cheers
Hmmm...so are you saying with the Q5 better to get a hard wired brake controller than a remote controller since it is prewired for this? I haven't bought the Prodigy yet. The advantage of the remote is of course you can switch from car to car and I do have another car I can tow with (a 2005 A4 Avant, believe it or not).

Last edited by Gossip Girl; 07-06-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have the trailer controller installed and you are looking for an electric brake controller?

Those are two seperate things.

The first is made by Audi (more specifically by Bosch if I am not mistaken) and controls the trailer lights and informs your Q5 that a trailer is connected to it so it may ajust the ESP accordingly.

The second is an after market module that will send electric voltage to the trailer brakes when you apply the brakes on your Q5.

For the first one, see your Audi dealer. For the second one, I recommend the Tekonsha P3. It's inertia based controller will send impulses to the trailer brakes proportionally to the car's deceleration. This is really a good thing when you are in traffic. The other time based controller will have your trailer "pull" you car in traffic. This is really annoying.

Cheers
Martin...what is a trailer controller and how do I know if I have one? I am getting a factory hitch installed at port but there is no trailer controller listed on my build sheet. It sounds like it's not a desirable feature. Is it a separate piece of hardware or is it a software modification to the ESP? Thanks

Quick Reply: caravan towing