Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Carfax Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carfax Question.

I am looking at a used Q5 from a local audi dealer. The carfax only shows the following service records: the 5k mile service, at 12k the power steering motor replaced, and four new tires at 39k. There is no other matience records shown on carfax. Does that mean no other work was done? Meaning no 15k, 25k, etc services? The dealer got it with 59k and said they changed oil and state inspection done and confirmed NO 55k service has been done.. They dont believe in CPO as they claim they customers should decide if they want the added cost of CPO or extended warranty. I am a bit nervous this car wasnt taken great car of in the two years it was driven since i dont see the standard services completed on the carfax. In summary, if it isnt on carfax, does that mean the services were not done?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JMac21
I am looking at a used Q5 from a local audi dealer. The carfax only shows the following service records: the 5k mile service, at 12k the power steering motor replaced, and four new tires at 39k. There is no other matience records shown on carfax. Does that mean no other work was done? Meaning no 15k, 25k, etc services? The dealer got it with 59k and said they changed oil and state inspection done and confirmed NO 55k service has been done.. They dont believe in CPO as they claim they customers should decide if they want the added cost of CPO or extended warranty. I am a bit nervous this car wasnt taken great car of in the two years it was driven since i dont see the standard services completed on the carfax. In summary, if it isnt on carfax, does that mean the services were not done?
if you cant find a full history I would probably stay away. The car could have been maintained very well, but you just dont know.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 389 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by JMac21
In summary, if it isnt on carfax, does that mean the services were not done?
Absolutely not. Carfax is a hit or miss service.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Absolutely not. Carfax is a hit or miss service.
Huge +1 on this!

I recently purchased an Audi which had hardly any maintenance history on the Carfax. However, I was able to track down the dealer which did the services and they were able to provide me the complete service records which had a number of details which never showed up on Carfax.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

It will only show up on the Carfax if the place that serviced it pays to use Carfax reporting service.

Have an inspection done. I just bought a 2014 with 48k miles on it and I'm not finding any issues even though the Carfax didn't show much maintenance. It did show 3 previous owners which to me is strange for a 4 year old car.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes Carfax is a huge moneymaking machine but their info is useless unless your an "īnnocent"
Where I live - Canada- the seller is obliged to provide you info on the previous owner.And if your making a somewhat major purchase It's wise to try and get the true story on the car's history.Very valuable.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I prefer autocheck.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Carfax showed my last car had a duplicate title issued on it. As the original and only owner, I would have known about that. So, Carfax is fallible.
What is worse, is that I contacted them to try correcting the error, pointing out that as the sole titled owner I would have known about that, and the DMV didn't know about it either. Their response? Never got one. Put them up there alongside Facebook and their grasp of "privacy". Carfax aggregates data, apparently has no checks and balances against corrupt or missing data, or care about it.

Some of those intermediate services reflect things like "Check fluid levels" and really are meaningless. Yes, it would be nice to see timely oil changes documented somewhere. I do my own, they're documented in MY maintenance system, and I don't share with Carfax.

Unless you see a red flag? Just proceed as you would in a world without Carfax.

And you can assume it needs the brake fluid flushed. That may not be part of the Audi scheduled services, but after 2-4 years, it needs to be done. There's a quick pen test that you can do to also objectively confirm that. Probably the most neglected service item in America.

Last edited by Redd; 04-08-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q5/SQ5

Just wondering why car fax showing 2015 Q5 but the car is 2015 SQ5 ?
Old 02-13-2021, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by nittakuball
Just wondering why car fax showing 2015 Q5 but the car is 2015 SQ5 ?
@nittakuball - because CarFax is not 100% accurate and is in fact quite fallible.

Quick Reply: Carfax Question.