Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cargo Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cargo Capacity

So I went to Home Depot today as they have Scotts red mulch on sale for $2/bag. It was around 2 p.m. and all of my neighbors/friends with trucks were at work. Explained that I wanted 25 bags to the sales clerk and told her I would probably have to make multiple trips. When I pulled my 2010 Premium +, S-Line up to the front of the store, she and the other associate said I would have to make 5 or 6 trips.

It was raining lightly so I folded the rear seats down and clerk provided plastic to line the rear and over the back seats. First trip I fit 12 2.0 cubic feet bags of mulch in. That doesn't sound like much but the bags are about 1.5 feet wide and 3.5 feet long (decent weight too...15 lbs apiece). Second trip was 13 bags. Anyways, moral of the story is the interior cargo capacity is definitely bigger than you would expect from looking at the vehicle dimensions from the outside.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's great.

I'm always impressed with just how much actually fits in the Q5. On Easter we brought folding chairs to the grandparents. Thought there was no way they would fit - but they fit no problem, plus all of our kid's gear and still had room left in the boot. Yesterday actually squeezed someone in the center seat between two car seats. I didn't think it was possible but it worked for a quick trip.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, shouldn't be a problem with rear seats folded down. I'm actually surprised it only fit 12 bags. I was able to fit 20 bags of the 2cuft mulch in my Subaru impreza wagon.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
Yep, shouldn't be a problem with rear seats folded down. I'm actually surprised it only fit 12 bags. I was able to fit 20 bags of the 2cuft mulch in my Subaru impreza wagon.
Well, I fit 13 on the 2nd trip which pretty much maxxed it out. Keep in mind I didn't remove or put anything on top of the cargo cover. I also didn't utilize any of the front seat. I had to use some resolve to clean some of the carpet on the back seats as the red water ran off of the plastic and onto the seats. Came out though.

I think your Impreza wagon is longer than the Q5.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mhousealum
Well, I fit 13 on the 2nd trip which pretty much maxxed it out. Keep in mind I didn't remove or put anything on top of the cargo cover. I also didn't utilize any of the front seat. I had to use some resolve to clean some of the carpet on the back seats as the red water ran off of the plastic and onto the seats. Came out though.

I think your Impreza wagon is longer than the Q5.
Yep, that Subaru was a beater so I just piled those bags into every nook and cranny. It always smelled like the woods because I hauled leaves, grass and branches in that thing all the time.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once loaded up a Lexus RX350 with wood on the roof, the hatch open with supplies, all types of stuff for a project i was doing.

A guy watching shook his head and said, "If you can do that to a lexus, I can't imagine what cars you have at home!"
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Last year I got 20 bags in my B6 A4 Avant. Seats down but could still see out the back window a little. I like the extra width. Could use about 4-6 inches more length, but that would ruin the bulldog stance.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Plasticar
Last year I got 20 bags in my B6 A4 Avant. Seats down but could still see out the back window a little. I like the extra width. Could use about 4-6 inches more length, but that would ruin the bulldog stance.
Pretty cool to hear what can fit in the cargo space. We chose the q5 over the allroad since the rear doesn't slope as aggressively as the avant. Funny how our dog (old English sheepdog) can dictate what car we get. We can fit our 3 dogs in the cargo space without putting down the backseat.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
I once loaded up a Lexus RX350 with wood on the roof, the hatch open with supplies, all types of stuff for a project i was doing.

A guy watching shook his head and said, "If you can do that to a lexus, I can't imagine what cars you have at home!"
That's hilarious. I didn't know people in NYC had any space to do carpentry, but maybe you're in one of the outer boroughs.