Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Changing a flat recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changing a flat recommendations

Hi everyone.

I wanted to recommend a couple of things for you in case you get a flat tire.

READ THE MANUAL AND LOCATE EVERYTHING YOU WILL NEED at your leisure. Also, get acquainted with the jack and how to use it. It's weird and you could potentially damage the rocker panel.

SALTY CLIMATE people - buy a 4 pound mallet and keep it in the storage bin. I couldn't get the wheel off myself because the rim was fused to the brake hub. I got everything done to the point of removing the wheel and it was stuck. I had to call the Audi hotline and got someone to come and help.

AIR PUMP - learn how to use it. There is a little **** on the gage that you twist. If it's not in the right position, the tire will not pump. You will waste valuable time running the pump with no results.

I thought that because I am able bodied and wasn't wanting to wait 30-60 minutes for help, I could do this myself. I wasn't prepared for the stuck rim or how complicated the process was.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step one: Flat tire! Stop immediately in the lane you're driving in, you don't wanna damage those rims! Middle lane is best so people will see you stopped up ahead.

Step two: Open trunk and leave car running, the warmth of the engine will help the bolts come loose and the exhaust will keep you warm as you rummage through the trunk.

Step three: Empty all tools from the tool pouch and leave sharper objects such as screwdrivers beside the car in the other lanes.

Step four: Crouching beside the car, attempt to remove wheels

Step five: Realize that the tiny little socket set in your car will never budge those lug nuts

Step six: Lie down, cry, cry a lot.

Step seven: Call Audi Roadside.

All joking aside though, read the manuals and LOOK inside but DON'T TOUCH that compartment. I wouldn't recommend taking the tools out because you'll never get them all back in the right place and you'll have quite the rattle afterward.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
Step one: Flat tire! Stop immediately in the lane you're driving in, you don't wanna damage those rims! Middle lane is best so people will see you stopped up ahead.

Step two: Open trunk and leave car running, the warmth of the engine will help the bolts come loose and the exhaust will keep you warm as you rummage through the trunk.

Step three: Empty all tools from the tool pouch and leave sharper objects such as screwdrivers beside the car in the other lanes.

Step four: Crouching beside the car, attempt to remove wheels

Step five: Realize that the tiny little socket set in your car will never budge those lug nuts

Step six: Lie down, cry, cry a lot.

Step seven: Call Audi Roadside.

All joking aside though, read the manuals and LOOK inside but DON'T TOUCH that compartment. I wouldn't recommend taking the tools out because you'll never get them all back in the right place and you'll have quite the rattle afterward.
I had a bitch of a time getting the tools back in. I have no idea if I did it right. Thankfully the technician that replaced the tire put everything back. Even getting the power cord and air hose back into the box was extremely difficult. I am making a call next time.

Changing a flat on my A5 was MUCH MUCH easier. The car was still pretty new and doesn't go out in the winter slop anyway.

Last edited by JGA5Cab; 04-03-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
I had a bitch of a time getting the tools back in. I have no idea if I did it right. Thankfully the technician that replaced the tire put everything back. Even getting the power cord and air hose back into the box was extremely difficult. I am making a call next time.

Changing a flat on my A5 was MUCH MUCH easier. The car was still pretty new and doesn't go out in the winter slop anyway.

I carry a fix-it kit with me. Something like this: http://www.slime.com/shop/category/p.../smart-spairs/ and fix the regular tire, in most cases without even taking it off the car. I do not use the slime stuff you inject into the tire. That is just a mess and makes the tire unfixable, but works for some people.
All you really need is something to remove the nail, or whatever caused the flat(Leatherman tool), a reamer, a needle to insert the plug, a few plugs (gorilla snot), some rubber glue for lubricating the plug and making a better seal, and a pump. All stuff readily available from your local auto store.

The problems with the Audi expandable tire solution are:
- The effort as described by the poster above.
- What do you do with the flat if the car's trunk is full? It does not fit in the wheel well.
- Limited range and speed with the spare. What do you do if you tow something?
- The Audi pump is very fragile and I have heard of cases where it disintegrates.

The regular spare in the car is still available for extreme cases when it is not possible to fix the flat.

I always carried a small kit on the bike and my record is less than 10 minutes from stopping to riding again without removing the wheel.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
I carry a fix-it kit with me. Something like this: http://www.slime.com/shop/category/p.../smart-spairs/ and fix the regular tire, in most cases without even taking it off the car. I do not use the slime stuff you inject into the tire. That is just a mess and makes the tire unfixable, but works for some people.
All you really need is something to remove the nail, or whatever caused the flat(Leatherman tool), a reamer, a needle to insert the plug, a few plugs (gorilla snot), some rubber glue for lubricating the plug and making a better seal, and a pump. All stuff readily available from your local auto store.

The problems with the Audi expandable tire solution are:
- The effort as described by the poster above.
- What do you do with the flat if the car's trunk is full? It does not fit in the wheel well.
- Limited range and speed with the spare. What do you do if you tow something?
- The Audi pump is very fragile and I have heard of cases where it disintegrates.

The regular spare in the car is still available for extreme cases when it is not possible to fix the flat.

I always carried a small kit on the bike and my record is less than 10 minutes from stopping to riding again without removing the wheel.

I pulled into an unfamiliar parking lot and drove right over a piece of raised concrete. I cut the sidewall. I knocked out the alignment a smidge. I hope nothing is bent. I'll find out next week.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I pulled into an unfamiliar parking lot and drove right over a piece of raised concrete. I cut the sidewall. I knocked out the alignment a smidge. I hope nothing is bent. I'll find out next week.
A plug is not going to help you there

Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
A plug is not going to help you there

yeah, not happy about it. I am too young to drive like a senior. I got past three months before something happening to the car. It's not virgin any more. I wish the rim didn't get nicked.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, the screw from the supplied jack can carve a chunk out of the rocker (first hand knowledge ). Be very careful using it because the screw is very close to the rocker, and I'd recommend not using it unless necessary.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Yes, the screw from the supplied jack can carve a chunk out of the rocker (first hand knowledge ). Be very careful using it because the screw is very close to the rocker, and I'd recommend not using it unless necessary.
I started to damage the rocker ever so slightly but moved it back so it was right below the body panel gap. Everything was good after that. Glad it's plastic. No rusting from the nick in the paint.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am too young to drive like a senior.

... and so am I, and I am 60 years old

Quick Reply: Changing a flat recommendations