Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Choosing between Q5 2.0 vs. Q5 3.0 vs. Allroad 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how you'll use your car. We wanted our 2013 Q5 to be our new long haul vehicle. So, mileage was very important. (Everywhere is a long distance from northwestern Montana.) When not cruising, this is my wife's car and she could care less about power. I'm keeping the 2003 allroad 'cause it's a stick. At 175K, it's no longer something for long trips. Our '99 A4 avant was given to our son. So, we're still a two-Auid family.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Planning to keep my S5, and trade in my A6 Avant for either a Q5 or allroad. The Q5 or allroad will serve a different purpose vis-a-vis the S5.

I did test drove a Q5 3.0 two days ago and agree with you on the power smoothness. Unfortunately, I tested the Q5 3.0 AFTER I tested the new S6 at 400+Hp and 406 lbs of torque. The manager, who sat in the S6, asked me to floor the S6 at the stoplight and I swear I counted 3 seconds to 59MPH when I glanced at the speedometer .. the S6 definitely could do below 4.0 seconds 0-60. Car and Driver rated it at 3.7 seconds 0-60. Wow! After that, the Q5 3.0 seemed tame, but a great cruiser. Not as planted as the A6 Avant, but nevertheless a comfy cruiser for long distance drives, which is what I we're looking at.

My S5 will be for speed driving, but my Avant is for utility. So the Q5 will be for hauling people and stuff. The Q5 2.0 at 7 seconds 0-60 is about the same as my A6 Avant. The Q5 3.0 is definiltely faster.

Originally Posted by BlackAce

First of all OP, love your S5.

Based on your automotive history, I'd peg you as a 3.0 guy. Unless you've recently become hyper-sensitive to fuel consumption, I think you'd think the 2.0 is a bit of a step down from where you are currently. But I may be off here, you didn't give an indication as to why you're considering a change.

My wife and I settled on the Q5 in MY2012, and after driving the 2.0 and the 3.2, we liked the 2.0 better. Our plans were put on hold as we built a new home. Back on the market this year, we stopped by the dealer to compare Brilliant Black with Phantom Black. Since we were there anyway, I asked to drive the new 3.0 just for kicks. Upon pulling back into the dealership, we cancelled our 2.0 order and ordered the 3.0 instead. It's literally as smooth as butter to drive, yet more than compliant when encouraged to growl.

Oh yeah, and it carries cargo also. Take a test drive of both, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by ayap; 05-23-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same dilemma. Now I do appreciate the slightly greater width, rear legroom, and general passenger space of the Q5. I could do without the high seating position, however. I've had 3 other Audi savants and loved every one. The biggest thing came down to the same content, the same chassis, the same engine (2.0T), but pay almost $3000 more for the allroad? Doesn't make sense. For same money, I probably would have gone for the wagon.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap
Not as planted as the A6 Avant, but nevertheless a comfy cruiser for long distance drives, which is what I we're looking at.
i was surprised at how well the Q5 handled twisties. i put a 2.0T on order about a month ago, but soon changed that to a 3.0T. prior to doing so, i asked the sales advisor for one more test drive. during the test drive, he was telling me how he pushed one to the point of a 4 wheel drift, with traction off, obviously. now, i've been driving a mini for some time and didn't feel comfortable putting a practically new Q5 in peril, so i tossed him the keys and told him to show me. he screamed around a bend with traction on and i gotta say, i was impressed. there was a bit of body roll, but the car responded. i'd never do that in a suv/crossover, but i'm glad to know that it can do it!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Plasticar
I had the same dilemma. Now I do appreciate the slightly greater width, rear legroom, and general passenger space of the Q5. I could do without the high seating position, however. I've had 3 other Audi savants and loved every one. The biggest thing came down to the same content, the same chassis, the same engine (2.0T), but pay almost $3000 more for the allroad? Doesn't make sense. For same money, I probably would have gone for the wagon.
My thoughts exactly. I was seriously looking at the allroad and the value proposition wasn't there over a Q5. I don't understand how a jacked up avant justifies the cost increase. It doesn't even have down hill assist control.

I have been very satisfied with my Q5 even though it's having steering issues.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My salesman was trying very hard to push the allroad during the Memorial Day sales, He said I'd get $4600K discount (already including loyalty discount). I said that if he'd give me the same discount for the Q5 I tested, I would go for the Q5. Then he said the Q5 got sold the night before, but I decided not to get the allroad. He then ask if I was interested in the new S7 - $87K
Old 11-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I currently have a 2.0p+ on order, but have recently been constantly thinking about the 3.0 tfsi, many restless & sleepiness nights. The extra power and the s-line are tipping me over that line.

While my wife may not be happy with the mpg, I can argue that it's not far off the 2.0. Those who do have a 3.0, please back me up and tell me that it's not noticeably guzzling that gas!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I own a 2014 Q5 S-line with a 3.0T, and while the cost of fuel will be higher as opposed to the 2.0 engine, to me the additional power is worth it.
Will you and your wife primarily be driving in the city, or a combo of city and highway. I recently drove from WPB, Fl to Raleigh, N.C, and averaged around 24 MPG, but usually average around 18 in the city.
If you are concerned about these numbers then do what you can accept spending for fuel.
For me, the look of the S-line package coupled with the performance of the 3.0T, was worth it.
But I am no longer married, and only have to answer to myself. Weigh what is important to you and your wife.
Did you test drive a 3.0T? Or just the 2.0.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Allroad 2.0 vs. SQ5 TFSI and Q5 3.2

So I took my SQ5 in last week to get the hitch installed. I got an Allroad 2.0 as the courtesy car. Here are my thoughts. Keep in mind I also had a 2012 Q5 3.2 S-line previously.

Simply put: The Allroad felt like a toy.

I had never driven a 2.0T, but it was a HUGE let down after hearing from everyone how great that engine is. I am a spirited driver and, quit honestly, I wasn't getting the MPG I was expecting from that engine at all. Keep in mind I didn't do a lot of freeway driving. I had to leave it in S to even tolerate the drive characteristics. Honestly with the difference in MPG being not that big, I didn't see the annual cost of the difference in gas expense as being an issue. The bigger issue is of course the cost between the two engines at purchase. I would fork over the $$ for the 3.0 without thinking twice.

The steering wheel was skinny like a loop of spaghetti. The steering was so light and all over the place that even a a drunken pixie could enjoy it. The shift **** was large and bulbus, not tight and sexy like the 2012 S-line or SQ5. No air leather either... which I wish the SQ5 had.

The difference in wheel size made the corning feel softer despite being lower. Unless I was planning on doing a ton of actual off roading, I would steer away from the Allroad. ;-)

The headliner was gray... which I hate. Needs to be black for me. The interior space felt significantly less than the Q5.

Don't mean to be too harsh... just being a little cheeky. I have never driven a 3.0TFSI, but I have driven a 3.0TDI Q5 which felt a lot like my old 3.2... and not toy like.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wrcardon
So I took my SQ5 in last week to get the hitch installed. I got an Allroad 2.0 as the courtesy car. Here are my thoughts. Keep in mind I also had a 2012 Q5 3.2 S-line previously.

Simply put: The Allroad felt like a toy.

I had never driven a 2.0T, but it was a HUGE let down after hearing from everyone how great that engine is. I am a spirited driver and, quit honestly, I wasn't getting the MPG I was expecting from that engine at all. Keep in mind I didn't do a lot of freeway driving. I had to leave it in S to even tolerate the drive characteristics. Honestly with the difference in MPG being not that big, I didn't see the annual cost of the difference in gas expense as being an issue. The bigger issue is of course the cost between the two engines at purchase. I would fork over the $$ for the 3.0 without thinking twice.

The steering wheel was skinny like a loop of spaghetti. The steering was so light and all over the place that even a a drunken pixie could enjoy it. The shift **** was large and bulbus, not tight and sexy like the 2012 S-line or SQ5. No air leather either... which I wish the SQ5 had.

The difference in wheel size made the corning feel softer despite being lower. Unless I was planning on doing a ton of actual off roading, I would steer away from the Allroad. ;-)

The headliner was gray... which I hate. Needs to be black for me. The interior space felt significantly less than the Q5.

Don't mean to be too harsh... just being a little cheeky. I have never driven a 3.0TFSI, but I have driven a 3.0TDI Q5 which felt a lot like my old 3.2... and not toy like.

FYI, because of this I told them I am not bringing the car back next week till they have a A8 courtesy car for me. My SQ5 is going in for hitch replace (with all the parts this time) on Tues. I'll let you know what I think of the A8.

Quick Reply: Choosing between Q5 2.0 vs. Q5 3.0 vs. Allroad 2.0