Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Choosing between Q5 2.0 vs. Q5 3.0 vs. Allroad 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about checking out the Allroad a little closer. When I bought my Q5 there were very few of them around and I didn't give it much consideration. The more I see them and read the positive reviews it is getting I'm more intrigued. Not much of a chance I'll change but I'd like to drive on and learn more about them.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, getting from an SQ5 to an allroad will make you feel that way. Your views of the allroad is tainted and negatively biased, because you just came from driving an SQ5. Since I drive the S5 with a sports differential, I know how it feels going from an S vehicle to an allroad.

I agree with you that the steering of the allroad feels pretty light. But what you experienced is a common defect that has been brought to Audi's attention. Now that being said, Audi has corrected this - I got my allroad's steering re-programmed two weeks ago with the latest updated code and steering now feels a lot tighter and more stable, especially tight at higher speeds. With the steering reprogramming, it feels like an entirely different vehicle.

I'm getting an average of 27 MPG on the allroad, which is better than the 24 MPG of my 3.2 Avant. The 2.0 allroad is definitely faster than the older 3.2 engine. The 3.2 Q5 was rated 6.7 - 6.8 seconds 0-60 and the allroad at 6.3 - 6.4 seconds. There is no doubt that my A6 Avant or your 3.2 Q5 will not beat the 2.0 allroad 0-60. Again, what you felt was subjective in terms of the allroad's speed, because you just came from driving an SQ5. I felt the same when I test drove the S6 with 420HP and then test drove the 3.0 Q5 with only 272 HP.

Since you have not driven a 2.0 Q5, I can tell you that I would prefer the allroad over the 2.0 Q5. The advantage of the 2.0 Q5 is more leg room at the back, and that is it. The handling of the allroad, which I have taken to the mountains on twisty roads, is much better. And now that they have made the steering feel much tighter, it feels better to drive. The 3.0 Q5 will be 0.3 seconds faster off a straight line, but on twisty roads and curving corners, the allroad feels more nimble and lighter - because it is.

To me, the hard choice was always been between the 3.0 Q5 vs. the 2.0 allroad, and not the 2.0 Q5. But the 2.0 Q5 does fine as a daily driver on the highway, without much twisty road. The 3.0 Q5 is good if you are constantly hauling 4 people, like kids at the back seat.

For mountain driving and twisty roads, the allroad will feel more like a car than an SUV in terms of handling. It really depends on your purpose. For me, I have no kids and my occasional visitors are not tall people, so they can fit on the backseat pretty well. I choose the allroad also because I see 20 Q5s on the road and have never seen another allroad. I also got a huge discount from my dealer on the allroad, but not the Q5 as the American market still favors SUVs so the Q5 sells faster.

Originally Posted by wrcardon
So I took my SQ5 in last week to get the hitch installed. I got an Allroad 2.0 as the courtesy car. Here are my thoughts. Keep in mind I also had a 2012 Q5 3.2 S-line previously.

Simply put: The Allroad felt like a toy.

I had never driven a 2.0T, but it was a HUGE let down after hearing from everyone how great that engine is. I am a spirited driver and, quit honestly, I wasn't getting the MPG I was expecting from that engine at all. Keep in mind I didn't do a lot of freeway driving. I had to leave it in S to even tolerate the drive characteristics. Honestly with the difference in MPG being not that big, I didn't see the annual cost of the difference in gas expense as being an issue. The bigger issue is of course the cost between the two engines at purchase. I would fork over the $$ for the 3.0 without thinking twice.

The steering wheel was skinny like a loop of spaghetti. The steering was so light and all over the place that even a a drunken pixie could enjoy it. The shift **** was large and bulbus, not tight and sexy like the 2012 S-line or SQ5. No air leather either... which I wish the SQ5 had.

The difference in wheel size made the corning feel softer despite being lower. Unless I was planning on doing a ton of actual off roading, I would steer away from the Allroad. ;-)

The headliner was gray... which I hate. Needs to be black for me. The interior space felt significantly less than the Q5.

Don't mean to be too harsh... just being a little cheeky. I have never driven a 3.0TFSI, but I have driven a 3.0TDI Q5 which felt a lot like my old 3.2... and not toy like.

Last edited by ayap; 11-11-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
First of all, getting from an SQ5 to an allroad will make you feel that way. Your views of the allroad is tainted and negatively biased, because you just came from driving an SQ5. Since I drive the S5 with a sports differential, I know how it feels going from an S vehicle to an allroad.

I agree with you that the steering of the allroad feels pretty light. But what you experienced is a common defect that has been brought to Audi's attention. Now that being said, Audi has corrected this - I got my allroad's steering re-programmed two weeks ago with the latest updated code and steering now feels a lot tighter and more stable, especially tight at higher speeds. With the steering reprogramming, it feels like an entirely different vehicle.

I'm getting an average of 27 MPG on the allroad, which is better than the 24 MPG of my 3.2 Avant. The 2.0 allroad is definitely faster than the older 3.2 engine. The 3.2 Q5 was rated 6.7 - 6.8 seconds 0-60 and the allroad at 6.3 - 6.4 seconds. There is no doubt that my A6 Avant or your 3.2 Q5 will not beat the 2.0 allroad 0-60. Again, what you felt was subjective in terms of the allroad's speed, because you just came from driving an SQ5. I felt the same when I test drove the S6 with 420HP and then test drove the 3.0 Q5 with only 272 HP.

Since you have not driven a 2.0 Q5, I can tell you that I would prefer the allroad over the 2.0 Q5. The advantage of the 2.0 Q5 is more leg room at the back, and that is it. The handling of the allroad, which I have taken to the mountains on twisty roads, is much better. And now that they have made the steering feel much tighter, it feels better to drive. The 3.0 Q5 will be 0.3 seconds faster off a straight line, but on twisty roads and curving corners, the allroad feels more nimble and lighter - because it is.

To me, the hard choice was always been between the 3.0 Q5 vs. the 2.0 allroad, and not the 2.0 Q5. But the 2.0 Q5 does fine as a daily driver on the highway, without much twisty road. The 3.0 Q5 is good if you are constantly hauling 4 people, like kids at the back seat.

For mountain driving and twisty roads, the allroad will feel more like a car than an SUV in terms of handling. It really depends on your purpose. For me, I have no kids and my occasional visitors are not tall people, so they can fit on the backseat pretty well. I choose the allroad also because I see 20 Q5s on the road and have never seen another allroad. I also got a huge discount from my dealer on the allroad, but not the Q5 as the American market still favors SUVs so the Q5 sells faster.
Thanks for this input. I was being intentionally cheeky and disparaging because I love my SQ5 so much. I did previously own a 3.2 Q5 and thought that that engine had more "go" than the 2.0T all road... but my buttmeter may be off.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A couple of quotes from Motor Trend's initial report on their Long Term Test of the Allroad:

"Still, my colleagues and I are thoroughly enjoying the Allroad experience. It's roomy without being big, a willing performer without guzzling fuel, and a sophisticate through and through. Our first service was even gratis, too."

"On the other hand, as my colleagues and I have learned racking up more than 8000 miles so far, when you spend time in the Allroad's cockpit, you never forget that you're flying first-class."
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

If Audi offered a tow hitch on the allroad, then I would prefer the allroad to the Q5.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bit the bullet and changed my order to the 3.0. It was inevitable

Originally Posted by Rlk1
I own a 2014 Q5 S-line with a 3.0T, and while the cost of fuel will be higher as opposed to the 2.0 engine, to me the additional power is worth it.
Will you and your wife primarily be driving in the city, or a combo of city and highway. I recently drove from WPB, Fl to Raleigh, N.C, and averaged around 24 MPG, but usually average around 18 in the city.
If you are concerned about these numbers then do what you can accept spending for fuel.
For me, the look of the S-line package coupled with the performance of the 3.0T, was worth it.
But I am no longer married, and only have to answer to myself. Weigh what is important to you and your wife.
Did you test drive a 3.0T? Or just the 2.0.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
Ew, I prefer there to be some grip when I drive, hopefully the TDI doesn't slip all over like the 3.0T.
What?
What slip?
I own a 2014 3.0t Q5 and it grips great.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1
What?
What slip?
I own a 2014 3.0t Q5 and it grips great.
As explained in the post or two after that one, I was teasing a poster about saying the 3.0T was "literally as smooth as butter". Butter is pretty slippery so there wouldn't be much grip.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm debating the Allroad, 3.0Q5 and SQ5 also. I just drove the AR and SQ last weekend. If the Allroad was offered with the 3.0T, I would already have it on order. The Allroad definitely handles better, it has a much lower center of gravity. The engine is pretty strong, but on occasion I would catch that 4 cyl. buzz. I love the acceleration of the SQ, but I'm not sure if I want to go that high ($$) for an SUV.
Is it possible to get the SQ5 wheels on the 3.0T?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tjf
I'm debating the Allroad, 3.0Q5 and SQ5 also. I just drove the AR and SQ last weekend. If the Allroad was offered with the 3.0T, I would already have it on order. The Allroad definitely handles better, it has a much lower center of gravity. The engine is pretty strong, but on occasion I would catch that 4 cyl. buzz. I love the acceleration of the SQ, but I'm not sure if I want to go that high ($$) for an SUV.
Is it possible to get the SQ5 wheels on the 3.0T?
I agree almost with everything you said. I love AR and it should be offered the 3.0T or TDI. One other minus of the AR, there is no room in the back. I'm a tall guy and have my seat almost all the way back. There wouldn't be any room left in the back in the AR.
Now if Audi brought an A6 based AR ...

Quick Reply: Choosing between Q5 2.0 vs. Q5 3.0 vs. Allroad 2.0