Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Clean My Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean My Windshield

Seems to be a problem getting the windshield clean. The inside has streaking no matter what I do & the outside has what looks like water spotting all over. I even clayed the window using vinager solution. The inside is 95% better but the outside could be alot better.

Any help as to whqat else I can do??.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it a greasy film on the outside? Try cutting the film with Simple Green or Dawn. Rinse well then finish with your regular window cleaner. (I use Invisible Glass or Zep commercial glass cleaner.) Lint-free glass microfiber works well to eliminate streaks, but you'll want the type made specifically for glass. Even better is newspaper stock if you can get your hands on some without print.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a glass polish or fine cut paint polish. Either will do a great job of removing water spotting.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You might try RainX on the outside if the problem persists.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Any help as to whqat else I can do??.
There are some glass cleaners that contain alcohol. Sometimes they'll cut the crap when other products won't.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

000 or 0000 steel wool works very well to remove blemishes on the glass. It will not scratch. I just removed water spots by spraying with detailing spray, then gently scrubbing with the wool. Follow up with any of the above glass cleaning methods for streak free results.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Clean that Windshield

I use "Bon-Ami" and a natural fiber scrubbing brush. Be gareful.
Bon-Ami is kinda like Comet cleanser and would be next to it in the grocery store,hardware, etc, but IT WILL NOT SCRATCH the glass. This is very important. Never use Comet or anything else. Only use Bon-Ami. Clean the glass just like you are scrubbing your bath-tub except just put the powder on the wetted brush and go from there.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Is it a greasy film on the outside? Try cutting the film with Simple Green or Dawn. Rinse well then finish with your regular window cleaner. (I use Invisible Glass or Zep commercial glass cleaner.) Lint-free glass microfiber works well to eliminate streaks, but you'll want the type made specifically for glass. Even better is newspaper stock if you can get your hands on some without print.
OMG I would NEVER let Simple Green near any car since I saw 1st hand when someone spraying into their engine and some of this stuff over-sprayed onto the cars body and it STAINED it!! HORRIBLE - I am so 'afraid' I wont ever purchase the stuff!!

BE CAREFUL!!!
should be stressed with ANY strong cleanser near your paint!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

A dedicated glass polish (such as from Griot's Garage) used with a random orbital polisher will take care of the exterior glass hard water spotting, much better than white vinegar. Use a small hand pad with the polish to get in the corners.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

A haze on the inside of the windshield is to be expected of new cars and also ones that are often detailed as the cleaning/conditioning products "out gas." Regular glass cleaners such as Windex will work fine.

Last edited by Huey52; 10-18-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks

Well now I have some work to do. I will try each suggestion till I find the one I like the best. I have a feeling they will all work out.

Quick Reply: Clean My Windshield