Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Clear mask

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear mask

Have anybody had clear mask installed on Q5? How does it look? I will pick up my car tomorrow and still debating in my mind if I should get clear mask or not. My dealer offers one for $590 (front) but I am not sure what brand. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not a Q5 but A4 Avant; learned from my 2008 Black Mercedes with now 20k miles and highway rash on the front paint, headlights down, still have the Benz. Bought a new '10 Avant put clear mask on front with now 8k miles and still looks new. $50k for the car, $750 installed for the mask. Money well spent if you keep the car. A leased car, I would forget about it. Just my opinion.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ditto, I did just the headlights on my vw tdi back in 2001 and they look just light new. Friends of mine have replaced their headlights completely due to severe hazing or cracking from stones.
On my Q5 I did a 1/4 of the hood, headlight/fogs, bumper, 1/4 fenders, mirrors, door edges, door handle cups and gas door and below the gas door. Looks pretty good and is easily cleaned. My Q is white so when its dirty you can really see the edge of the film but like I said its cleaned easily. I did a lot of research of the major players and chose the 3M brand from these guys.
http://www.blockachip.com/

Btw: I paid 650 cash
Old 05-05-2011, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's worth it I think. Went with Venture Shield and did front bumper, 1/4 hood and front fenders, side mirrors, trunk lip, and panel sections behind each wheel. You will see the film's border especially on the hood and if looking from the side because you know it's there, but I'd say most casual glances wouldn't even notice it. A small investment to keep the Q5 looking great.

One thing to mention: you do want to remove any bug splotches as soon as you can. The manufacturer does say it may cause discoloration or pitting (the acidic guts of these bugs I guess). I just wipe it down with detailed spray after pulling in to the garage.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

^ +1 I detail spray my front end, similarly shielded with 3M Ventureshield, of bugs and road tar every eve after pulling into the garage. Surprising how much road dirt there always is on the trunk lip as well (aerodynamic turbulence effect).
Old 05-05-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lot's of discussion on this topic. Do a search for lots of great information.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821
It's worth it I think. Went with Venture Shield and did front bumper, 1/4 hood and front fenders, side mirrors, trunk lip, and panel sections behind each wheel. You will see the film's border especially on the hood and if looking from the side because you know it's there, but I'd say most casual glances wouldn't even notice it. A small investment to keep the Q5 looking great.

One thing to mention: you do want to remove any bug splotches as soon as you can. The manufacturer does say it may cause discoloration or pitting (the acidic guts of these bugs I guess). I just wipe it down with detailed spray after pulling in to the garage.
yea got some yellow discoloration after our road trip. I tried my best cleaning it off and but no go.. Is this permanent or is there a way to get these off?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default do it!

Originally Posted by quattrovant
Not a Q5 but A4 Avant; learned from my 2008 Black Mercedes with now 20k miles and highway rash on the front paint, headlights down, still have the Benz. Bought a new '10 Avant put clear mask on front with now 8k miles and still looks new. $50k for the car, $750 installed for the mask. Money well spent if you keep the car. A leased car, I would forget about it. Just my opinion.
I agree with everyone else here, I paid about $600 at the dealer for Venture Shield. It's noticeable from some angles but by no means unattractive. Certainly more attractive from the chipping and potential damage your Q will encounter over time without it.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My local Audi dealer wanted almost $1000 for the service so I found a local guy who could do it for $600. He uses 3M and says it is by far the best product. It is a kit including the front, a-pillars, door handle wells, and rocker panels.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ronyn78
yea got some yellow discoloration after our road trip. I tried my best cleaning it off and but no go.. Is this permanent or is there a way to get these off?
Now that I think about it, I think the bugs could cause pitting and not discoloration. In fact, Ventureshield warranties against yellowing. I'd talk to the installer who did the job...

Quick Reply: Clear mask