Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Steering & Suspension Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Clunking noise while turning at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise while turning at low speeds

Hi all, I've had my Q5 (2011, 2.0t) for about 9 months now, recently, I've noticed a dull, clunking noise whenever I turn the wheel at low speeds. I spoke to my AD about it and they said it was an issue with a wheel bearing (or something like that), and changed it out, however, the noise is still present.

Has anybody experienced any similar issues, and does anybody know what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the exact noise too, however it's more when I make a left turn than right. I only have 2.5k on my 11 2.0T.

I think this is a known problem if I am correct.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

There was a similar problem with C6 Corvettes and the fix was replacing the differential fluid. Maybe that's the answer here as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been to two different Audi dealers and this appears to be somewhat normal.

I sat in a brand new Q5 in their lot and it did the same thing. Since then, I've sat in a few other Q5's with the same noise - some being louder than others.

The first dealer I saw lubed up the hub/joints along the steering shaft and it seemed to help dampen the sound. Perhaps you can ask for that.

I was going to demand a steering column replacement, but the fact that other new Q5's have the same noise and the lube seems to have dampened the sound - I'm content at the moment.

Hope the info helps!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by puregreddy
I've been to two different Audi dealers and this appears to be somewhat normal.

I sat in a brand new Q5 in their lot and it did the same thing. Since then, I've sat in a few other Q5's with the same noise - some being louder than others.

The first dealer I saw lubed up the hub/joints along the steering shaft and it seemed to help dampen the sound. Perhaps you can ask for that.

I was going to demand a steering column replacement, but the fact that other new Q5's have the same noise and the lube seems to have dampened the sound - I'm content at the moment.

Hope the info helps!
when u sat in the other Q's were they all 2.0's?
my 3.2 does NOT do this!! ... just sayin'.
now there are noises that seem to emanate from the 'suspension' that sound more like mechanics but not clunking.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

$20 it's the differential.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed today that mine was making a clunking noise just before it would reach full lock.

I'll bet A$100 this is NOT the differential!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
I noticed today that mine was making a clunking noise just before it would reach full lock.

I'll bet A$100 this is NOT the differential!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by loscoz
when u sat in the other Q's were they all 2.0's?
my 3.2 does NOT do this!! ... just sayin'.
now there are noises that seem to emanate from the 'suspension' that sound more like mechanics but not clunking.
My 3.2 does this as well. I am not sure if I should ask the dealer to fix it. Has anyone found a fix for the noise?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front driver's side does this when turning the wheel near it's furthest points (either way). There was a TSB I found and printed out and took to the dealer (2 days ago) to have them try and fix this issue while they had my brakes apart changing them. The TSB cuts off in mid-sentence though.

http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b299452/
2011 Audi Q5 Steering Service Bulletin 299452

Service Bulletin Number: TSB-40-10-16

NHTSA Action Number: 10036567
Service Bulletin Number: 299452
Report Date: Dec 21, 2010
Component: Steering

Summary: Audi: cracking noises from front axle. While driving on uneven roads or when turningthe steering wheel over the full range, cracking noises can be heard coming from the front axle. The noise comes from the support bracket for the top of
All I got back from the service manager at the end of the visit was they were able to replicate the noises, they changed my brakes, and it was probably a loose caliper. After replacing the brakes, they tightened everything up, drove the car, but the creaking and popping is still present. The service tech can't figure out where it's coming from and they are unable to fix the issue.

So I basically have to live with it. It doesn't do it at speed at all, or on narrow turning. Only when stopped or barely moving and turning the control arm across close to it's full range.

It doesn't affect the safety or drivability of the car, it's just annoying as hell to have all the sounds coming from the front of the car. It only happens on my driver's side front.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 05-27-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise while turning at low speeds