Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cold Feet on Q5 purchase??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Feet on Q5 purchase??

Dang,

(First time poster) 38 year old male here...I was all fired up to buy a Q5, but reading through the first few pages of the Q5 forums, I may be getting cold feet.

I've been looking at two routes: 1) Buy a used 2010 - 2012 2.0 or 3.2 with anywhere from 7,000 - 18,000 miles...have found a few that caught my eye within a 500 mile radius of where I live. OR 2) 36 month lease on a 2013 3.0T

However, I've seen all of the carbon build up issues with the 3.2, so I've cooled on them. It also seems like there are a lot of issues with rattles, transmissions, shattered sunroofs, water pumps, etc. I realize that several of these have recalls but...

My family had Audis throughout the 80s and early 90s, but after non-stop problems, they finally gave up and went Lexus and never looked back. I'm a huge Lexus fan. Including my parents, my family has probably owned 20+ Lexus models over the last 20 years. Very few problems, and when there were, Lexus was quick to resolve the matter. I can't recall a single rattle in any of the Lexus I've driven.

However, I figured that Audi has had enough time to get there house in order and I've started looking at them again. Also, being well into the 21st century, it seems like most of the problems of yesteryear are history. But these forums have me questioning this mentality.

The Q5 is so much more sexy on the exterior than the RX 350, but I see far fewer problems on Lexus forums for 1 - 3 year old models. Being a 38 yr old male, I find the Q5 a lot more masculine. I care much more about the interior, ride, and quality (which, to me, screams Lexus), but damn, something inside me wants to see me rollin a Q5!

The forum is yours to tell me why I should buy Q5 over an RX 350!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have an '11 Q5 3.2L and it has surpassed my expectations. This is by far the best fit for me in terms of driving dynamics, performance, design and utility and I can be a very tough critic - this is my 3rd Audi and I've had 3BMWs. I'm looking forward to checking out the new Allroad and Q5 3.0T, but I have absolutely no hesitation with Audi.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mine just fine. Despite the few early issues and the crappy NAV, I'd do it all over again without a 2nd thought
Old 08-21-2012, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. Reading between the lines, it's clear the Q5 is the car you really want, and so you've I think you've already answered your question. But it's also clear that you're looking for a little reassurance that you won't regret your decision because of reliability issues. That's tough because all manufacturers have issues. (Yes - even the almighty Toyota/Lexus. I lost a transmission at 70k miles in a Toyota, which the company refused do squat about.) So ask yourself . . . if you get the Lexus, will you question your decision every time you see a Q5?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are worried about reliability, you should lease it for 4 years and re-evaluate. Also I haven't really heard about the carbon buildup issue on the 2.0T (and the upcoming 3.0T).

If you want a cushy, comfortable ride, get the Lexus.

If you want car-like dynamics, more connected-to-the road feel, consider the Q5 or X3.

The interior on the Q5 is hands down better, but that's my opinion.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. Keep 'em comin!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in the same boat, but have ultimately decided that buying a CERTIFIED used with a great warranty, that I shouldn't have to worry that much. If it needs, servicing, take it in, get a cool loaner, and get it fixed. I could care less about whether I get the 2.0 or 3.2 performance wise, but I like the S-line options, and if I get a good deal right before the 2013's come out, it should retain quite a bit of its value come time to swap it out, (I rarely keep cars for more than 4 years). If I could get the S-line 2.0 like our neighbors up North, there would be no question.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi had a bad batch of water pumps by their supplier in late 08-09. They were fixed under recall. It has since been resolved and there have been little issues with water pumps over the last couple years.

I don't know how many cases of shattered sunroofs there have been out there, but I can guess it's very, very small.

There are probably over 50,000 Q5's on the road in the past 4 plus years. How many people had a roof shatter?

There isn't a car out there that people don't complain on the interent about. People are more likely to complain about the bad vs the good.

If it was me, I'd get a new 2013. The Q5 has an outstanding resale value.

You should look at that as one of the top reasons to buy one. And it's a great car overall.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can relate. I've owned several Japanese vehicles and they've been very reliable. With the exception of the G35, all of them have been pretty boring to drive.... comfortable, reliable, quiet, and nice on the inside but nevertheless, boring. They are good for the family and road trips. I've owned several Mercedes vehicles over the years also. They were nice but every one of them had some sort of mechanical issues. MB, to me, is over rated.
The '12 Q5 2.0T is my first Audi. Trust me, I've had my reservations about Audi reliability. My Q5 has some rattling noise from the headrest and the wind noise is more noticeable than other cars that I've owned but I haven't taken it in since it doesn't bother me; the music drowns out the noise :-) Otherwise, it's been a trouble free vehicle. I can honestly say that it's one of the best vehicles I've owned. Infact, when the kids get a little older and start to drive, I'm thinking of getting my wife out of driving a SUV and into a nice Audi sedan!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've only had my Q for about nine months, but I previously had a 2010 A4 Avant 2.0T, which for all intents and purposes is the same car (built on the same assembly line as the Q5). Between two cars, I've had two problems, I had an oil level sensor go out on the A4 and a brake pad wear sensor go out on the Q5. That's it. The 2.0T is fairly trouble-free and from what I've heard, the 3.2 has been pretty good too, since the water pump issue got resolved.

Go with a Q. The Lexus, like every other Toyota, is a cure for insomnia.

Quick Reply: Cold Feet on Q5 purchase??