Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cold Feet on Q5 purchase??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcom
Thanks guys. Keep 'em comin!
Do not make the mistake of lumping all years and models together like you could get a car with all these problems.
We are just shy of 1000 Q5s reporting on this forum. So far I have counted 6 carbon build up reports. And that is taking in all the years all the models and all the miles driven. Audi have paid the cost of repair.
The 09 issues with DRLs went away with an updated part, and some early 09s had a flexible hose replaced. The late 09s early 10s had a plastic water pump housing for a while which (in some cases) cracked overnight in cold weather. Audi replaced them all and changed supplier at their cost. No engines failed. The 12 sunroof was just one batch of glass and again Audi replaced them all fail or no.
While Audi dont publish their fails or go to great lengths to explain which what where when, I do or rather we do. Every effort has been made to record all the forum stats in the Q5 spreadsheet. It is worth noting the percentage of fails recorded is probably higher than the average as people generally tend to join forums to complain or seek advice, at least that is my opinion having recorded all the Q5s and Q7s on forum since 2006.
I say the car is not as good as they would have you believe and not as bad as everyone else delight in telling you.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you will get a good vote on a Lexus over Audi, keep in mind, this forum are for Audi Enthusiast drivers.

I know Toyota earned their award winning "the most reliable and dependable car"... come to think of it, you are trying to compare a Japanese quality vs. German quality... there are reasons why Toyota cars are way cheaper than German Engineered cars.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by jcom

The forum is yours to tell me why I should buy Q5 over an RX 350!
J, welcome aboard!

If "reliability" is your primary focus, always buy Asian
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I can relate. I've owned several Japanese vehicles and they've been very reliable. With the exception of the G35, all of them have been pretty boring to drive.... comfortable, reliable, quiet, and nice on the inside but nevertheless, boring. They are good for the family and road trips. I've owned several Mercedes vehicles over the years also. They were nice but every one of them had some sort of mechanical issues. MB, to me, is over rated.
The '12 Q5 2.0T is my first Audi. Trust me, I've had my reservations about Audi reliability. My Q5 has some rattling noise from the headrest and the wind noise is more noticeable than other cars that I've owned but I haven't taken it in since it doesn't bother me; the music drowns out the noise :-) Otherwise, it's been a trouble free vehicle. I can honestly say that it's one of the best vehicles I've owned. Infact, when the kids get a little older and start to drive, I'm thinking of getting my wife out of driving a SUV and into a nice Audi sedan!

Just a note here--had the headrest rattle. Dealer couldn't fix it--suggested one wrap around of blue painter's tape. Bingo. Perfect since. A year later.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Best car I've owned--and I've enjoyed it the most. I have the 2.0T (I'd stay away from the 3.2 due to carbon build up, etc). But most 3.2 owners love them as these threads show. I've owned BMW, Acura, Volvo, etc. I'm delighted with the car. A rattle or two, but they were fixed. Other than that---perfect. Also--I'm averaging 23.3 mpg (according to Fuelly--not my gauge) and get 28-29 on the highway easily. I said to my wife a few years ago that the Lexus RX is really made more for women--she agreed--which is why you are having the Q5 reaction you are I suspect.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

20k on my 2011 and no issues at all so far....My wife loves it and I enjoy driving it at times
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you driven it yet? I was between the Q5 and the new grand cherokee w a V8 hemi- After the test drive, it wasn't even close. I got the Q and didn't look back.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you read other car forums? The negatives you see here do not amount to anything near concerning levels. My Q5 is as near perfect as I have owned. This car is not problematic. If it were every post would focus on an issue. My last car was the first year Touareg. The issues on the forums were enough to scare me but I bought the car anyway and had to deal with issues. That's not the case here.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by theCue
Not sure if you will get a good vote on a Lexus over Audi, keep in mind, this forum are for Audi Enthusiast drivers.

I know Toyota earned their award winning "the most reliable and dependable car"... come to think of it, you are trying to compare a Japanese quality vs. German quality... there are reasons why Toyota cars are way cheaper than German Engineered cars.
Hmmm, unless I'm missing some veiled sarcasm, I'm finding that a comparably equipped Q5 and RX350 are very close in pricing. ??
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dngrmse
Have you driven it yet? I was between the Q5 and the new grand cherokee w a V8 hemi- After the test drive, it wasn't even close. I got the Q and didn't look back.
I haven't driven a newer model Q5 or RX350 yet (several older RXs only). I plan on doing it soon though.

Quick Reply: Cold Feet on Q5 purchase??