Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cold Feet on Q5 purchase??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by springsteen
Just a note here--had the headrest rattle. Dealer couldn't fix it--suggested one wrap around of blue painter's tape. Bingo. Perfect since. A year later.
Cool, I'll try it. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An Audi is not a Toyota in terms of pure problems. However, the driving dynamics will win you over if you like to drive.

I am not brand loyal. In the last 22 years, I have owned Ford, Chevy, Jeep, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Porsche, BMW, Isuzu, and Audi. Some have been better than others. All have had their strengths.

My two newest cars are a 2010 Q5 and a 2011 BMW M3. I currently own them because they are, hands down, the best compromise between my personal and family needs and driving dynamics.

I'm not going to be an apologist for Audi. Let's face it--they're not Japanese in terms of build quality. However, if you can tolerate the water pump types of issues (which have now been largely fixed), then you will be rewarded by an interior that takes a back seat (pun intended) to no one and driving dynamics that are just amazing for an SUV.

A toyota or Lexus is a toaster. It's an appliance that will get you from point A to point b flawlessly. It makes great toast. But no one tells their friends about what an amazing toaster they have.

So, if you like to drive, then there is no real decision--get the Audi. If a car is just an appliance for you, I would get the Lexus. And I don't mean that pejoratively. Some people want their cars to isolate them from the world; others want their car to connect them to the world.

My $0.02.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by serranot

A toyota or Lexus is a toaster. It's an appliance that will get you from point A to point b flawlessly. It makes great toast. But no one tells their friends about what an amazing toaster they have.
A-men. And this is the type of automotive relationship that appeals to 99% of Americans: Turn car on, drive to destination, get home in one piece and fill car once/wk.

The broad cross-section is non-enthusiast and may actually "hate" cars and that's where the Asians have played so successfully. However, that's not the group here at AW, most still enjoying driving and the performance oriented nature of the European car.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcom
Hmmm, unless I'm missing some veiled sarcasm, I'm finding that a comparably equipped Q5 and RX350 are very close in pricing. ??
Yes they are close in pricing, cause they have to, with all the extra accessories to make it look like a competitive for the Germans... Sorry to mislead you by keep using Toyota... But I'm sure you know why I keep referring to Toyota. In Japan, the RXs are called Toyota Harrier

http://toyota.jp/harrier/index.html?ptopid=men
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dang,

I've been looking at two routes: 1) Buy a used 2010 - 2012 2.0 or 3.2 with anywhere from 7,000 - 18,000 miles...

The forum is yours to tell me why I should buy Q5 over an RX 350!
Was in a similar position here a month ago. After considering all options, I opted to buy a 2011 Q5 2.0T with 14,000k miles on it. Premium plus (definately worth upgrade). It went into service in April 2011 which means is under warranty until April 2017 or 100,000 miles. I was also concerned about reliability, but this warranty gives me peace of mind.

I couldn't be happier although it did take me a while to get comfortable in the front seats. Car is a blast to drive. I didn't want Nav. Ended up paying $37,400. Could have argued them down a little more I'm sure (probably $36,500) but it was a hard car to find, and was in a hurry that day. Audi is paying first month and it includes Audi Care for 25k, 35k, and 45k checkups.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by serranot
An Audi is not a Toyota in terms of pure problems. However, the driving dynamics will win you over if you like to drive.

I am not brand loyal. In the last 22 years, I have owned Ford, Chevy, Jeep, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Porsche, BMW, Isuzu, and Audi. Some have been better than others. All have had their strengths.

My two newest cars are a 2010 Q5 and a 2011 BMW M3. I currently own them because they are, hands down, the best compromise between my personal and family needs and driving dynamics.

I'm not going to be an apologist for Audi. Let's face it--they're not Japanese in terms of build quality. However, if you can tolerate the water pump types of issues (which have now been largely fixed), then you will be rewarded by an interior that takes a back seat (pun intended) to no one and driving dynamics that are just amazing for an SUV.

So, if you like to drive, then there is no real decision--get the Audi. If a car is just an appliance for you, I would get the Lexus. And I don't mean that pejoratively. Some people want their cars to isolate them from the world; others want their car to connect them to the world.

My $0.02.
I'll add my $0.02 here as well to make it $0.04 . Well put!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmmm, unless I'm missing some veiled sarcasm, I'm finding that a comparably equipped Q5 and RX350 are very close in pricing. ??
If they are close in pricing all the more reason to get a Q...

Our particular reasoning was that we saw a lexus every other traffic light here in Dallas, and had to HUNT for Q's - even today it's still an event when we see one in a city of 7 million people and probably 10+ million cars

It is my wife's car, but every chance I get it reminds me of my sports car days...

The first hard corner or panic stop will sell you !

The 8 speed and the turbo sold me on it... the looks and higher seating with good handling sold the wife on her car

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 08-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default threadjack:

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
If they are close in pricing all the more reason to get a Q...

Our particular reasoning was that we saw a lexus every other traffic light here in Dallas, and had to HUNT for Q's - even today it's still an event when we see one in a city of 7 million people and probably 10+ million cars

It is my wife's car, but every chance I get it reminds me of my sports car days...

The first hard corner or panic stop will sell you !

The 8 speed and the turbo sold me on it... the looks and higher seating with good handling sold the wife on her car
How do you like your Revo? I'm also in Dallas, and just recently picked up a 2011 Q5 2.0. I missed out on the APR summer special, but was curious as to why you chose Revo over other tuners.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had 3 Audis and no problem with reliability especially with the current models. My A6 Avant is 6 years old and feels like brand new. I have driven the Q5 and that's a great vehicle, though I would prefer the new Allroad or wait for the Q3. I did all the maintenance and oil change every 5k. The only thing that got replaced was the lightbulb of the passenger airbag warning light. Other than that, electrical and mechanical are all perfect for the past 6 years 75,000 miles. My BMW had more electrical problems.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pigred
How do you like your Revo? I'm also in Dallas, and just recently picked up a 2011 Q5 2.0. I missed out on the APR summer special, but was curious as to why you chose Revo over other tuners.
Perfect....

chose it because of the spring sale they had last year ...
IIRC it was $400 and the switcher and haven;t had a hiccup out of it...

+50HP and 6 sec 0-60 makes it a much more fun car...

I got it from Don Istook over in Fort Worth - yes THAT Don Istook - saw his TT that he had tuned to be a rocket ship !

https://www.google.com/search?q=don+...ient=firefox-a

Quick Reply: Cold Feet on Q5 purchase??